advertisement

Joni "new" releases

Part of the way through the first disc, which is 9 songs recorded for Joni at CFQC AM in 1963,to use as a Demo. Plus a live set at somewhere called the Half Beat... and other stuff.

It plays well into the reflective mood and musings on the passage of time which are being discussed in the 'Off Topic' at present.

It's wonderful. I've always had a special affection for 'historic' recordings..and even more so if they are of musical heroes/heroines. Joni's voice is clear as a bell and she is bang on pitch. I'm still staggered that such stuff has seemingly been hidden, and in some cases I think 'lost' for more than half a century.

In the same way that early Ray Charles recordings on Downbeat and Swingtime betray his attempts to emulate Nat 'King' Cole.. Joni's voice and phrasing here owes much to Joan Baez. But... there's enough of Joni's own voice, self-accompaniment etc... to point to her future. All she had to do.. like Charles.. was to learn to trust her own vocals, and unlike Ray, to begin to write the phenomenal stuff of her own which soon followed.

Didn't know River was about James Taylor either, but I do know Carly Simon's Your So Vane is about him.

I thought she’d always been reluctant to say who the song was about. Jagger was a favourite guess back in the 70s.

Warren Beatty. It wouldn't have been Taylor (they were at their closest at the time, about to get married) and Jagger features as backing vocal on it. The latter would require him to be in on the gag, self deprocating humour has it's limits.

Heard a track off ‘Blue’ yesterday, I believe it is called ‘River’, finally I may have found a path; her voice didn’t sound trilly.

Good place to start?

Had another think about that, Shadows and Light. Cracking band, pitch perfect vocals, great playing and some of her finest tracks. If that doesn't do it for you, she never will.

Had another think about that, Shadows and Light. Cracking band, pitch perfect vocals, great playing and some of her finest tracks. If that doesn't do it for you, she never will.
Can’t seem to get hold of ‘blue’ unless I go for the 10 album box set.

advertisement

Back