advertisement

John Martyn

Had to put it on and have a listen, and am wondering whether anyone else has the version I have, which is labelled in reverse? I'm listening to Dealer, One World, Smiling Stranger and Big Muff, but the label is telling me it's side 1.
The sleeve is Island Life Collection, 25Years, ILPM9492.
The quality of the music isn't affected, of course, some terrific musicianship, and that individual voice. Can't say I like all that he did, and only have Grace &Danger and One World LPs, never saw him live, but got interested on an old BBC programme, where he was playing on a ship? Dunno where, though, but was attracted to his voice and style of singing.

Yep, I've got that version with that issue.

https://www.discogs.com/John-Martyn-One-World/release/2686755

The best concert I ever saw by him ... Just him and just sublime.

In marked contrast to my tale above, I saw him in 1982 or so, on the (I think) Well Kept Secret tour, and he did a version of 'Don't You Go', with Max Middleton on synth and Fender Rhodes (the album version has Phil Collins on grand piano). Middleton set up a low drone from the synth, and played some exquisite Rhodes backing to Martyn's vocals, rendering a 3000-seat theatre to the point where you could hear a pin drop. Sublime is truly the word. I can't listen to the album version, with Collins' stilted, wooden playing at all.....

Another was when he was in duo format with Foster Patterson on keys. Again, just vocal and Fender Rhodes, and another version which, at a slower tempo, and without the heavy-handed backing of a full band, absolutely trounced the album version. Wonderful stuff.

In marked contrast to my tale above, I saw him in 1982 or so, on the (I think) Well Kept Secret tour, and he did a version of 'Don't You Go', with Max Middleton on synth and Fender Rhodes (the album version has Phil Collins on grand piano). Middleton set up a low drone from the synth, and played some exquisite Rhodes backing to Martyn's vocals, rendering a 3000-seat theatre to the point where you could hear a pin drop. Sublime is truly the word. I can't listen to the album version, with Collins' stilted, wooden playing at all.....

Another was when he was in duo format with Foster Patterson on keys. Again, just vocal and Fender Rhodes, and another version which, at a slower tempo, and without the heavy-handed backing of a full band, absolutely trounced the album version. Wonderful stuff.

Cocaine in the 80's didn't suit JM temperament I think.. wrong drug for his bent.

I do remember another tour of his ( though I don't remember which tour it was ) where he had Paul Kossoff on lead. John was not at that time the fabled axman ( in his dreams ) that he obviously wanted to become and all lead/ electric guitar was provided by Kossoff who had/used such a delicacy of touch... some thing that I always felt JM did not have .
I am an utter JM 'fan' but he did have his faults.

Last edited:
Had to put it on and have a listen, and am wondering whether anyone else has the version I have, which is labelled in reverse? I'm listening to Dealer, One World, Smiling Stranger and Big Muff, but the label is telling me it's side 1.

All versions of the LP have the actual order different from the track listing on the sleeve. The artwork was commissioned and then the sides were swapped over with no time / money to pay for a new painting to be done to reflect the change.

Mind you, the swap is wholly correct - the album *has* to finish with 'Small Hours'.

Cocaine in the 80's didn't suit JM temperament I think.. wrong drug for his bent.

I do remember another tour of his ( though I don't remember which tour it was ) where he had Paul Kossoff on lead. John was not at that time the fabled axman ( in his dreams ) that he obviously wanted to become and all lead/ electric guitar to provided by Kossoff who had/used such a delicacy of touch... some thing that I always felt JM did not have .

Good post- it really got hold of him, and the drink- thus the two combined made him 'hard work' at times- who said being a genius was easy.:)

This (covers) album is a must IMO...

images

All versions of the LP have the actual order different from the track listing on the sleeve. The artwork was commissioned and then the sides were swapped over with no time / money to pay for a new painting to be done to reflect the change.

Mind you, the swap is wholly correct - the album *has* to finish with 'Small Hours'.

My version has, on the back of the sleeve, Big Muff as the last track; Small Hours is the last track on side one. So, I suppose you could say that, as the the sides are reversed it does end with Small Hours? Checking the runout area, the side stamped ILPM 9492 A does have the "A" side, side 1, ending with Small hours, label affixed, and ILPM 9492 B has the "B" side label, ending with Big Muff. Was there a sense of humour at play?
Whatever, I just enjoy the music, and don't get too precious about it.

Wonderful artist, very flawed human being. Far from being alone in that, mind.

The cover of Portishead's Glory Box on the Church with One Bell, various live versions of 'Outside In', Live at Leeds, One World and loads more; pretty amazing back catalogue with pretty much no duffers.

I do remember another tour of his ( though I don't remember which tour it was ) where he had Paul Kossoff on lead. John was not at that time the fabled axman ( in his dreams ) that he obviously wanted to become and all lead/ electric guitar was provided by Kossoff who had/used such a delicacy of touch... some thing that I always felt JM did not have .
Danny & John Martyn have both repeated a story about beating the crap out of Paul Kossoff at one of their gigs around that time after they'd heard he'd touched someone up.

My version has, on the back of the sleeve, Big Muff as the last track; Small Hours is the last track on side one. So, I suppose you could say that, as the the sides are reversed it does end with Small Hours? Checking the runout area, the side stamped ILPM 9492 A does have the "A" side, side 1, ending with Small hours, label affixed, and ILPM 9492 B has the "B" side label, ending with Big Muff. Was there a sense of humour at play?
Whatever, I just enjoy the music, and don't get too precious about it.

AFAICT, it's only the 'Island Life' mid-price reissue that did that. All others were 'A & B Reversed'

Seeker, thanks for the info. re mine being a mid- price issue. I see that there is a UMC 180g version, 2016, so is this a better version? I'd love to get deeper into the sounds on this LP.

Seeker, thanks for the info. re mine being a mid- price issue. I see that there is a UMC 180g version, 2016, so is this a better version? I'd love to get deeper into the sounds on this LP.

I can't help you there - I have a lot of JM on LP, just not that one. I have the 2xCD Deluxe Edition and that is pretty good sounding.

I can beat you there, Seeker; I find I have two copies of the De Luxe CD version, one still sealed, obviously forgot one before getting another.
Will check one out later tonight. Such is the lure of JM. Thanks for the reminder :)

There were two separate mixes of One World - the Deluxe CD version includes some of the USA mixes for some reason, they do sound different to the mixes I have had on vinyl for nearly 40 years.

Brilliant album anyway.

And I'll tell you a few stories of some of the numerous times I saw him on stage sometime.

Saw him play in Durham about 16 years ago... So off his tree when he came on stage I was thinking "this is going to be a disaster/embarrassing"! However... even that inebriated he managed to deliver the goods:)

Do you think that his distinctive slurring vocals were his natural style, or due to substances, alcohol, or whatever?
Either way, it adds to his attraction.

Do you think that his distinctive slurring vocals were his natural style, or due to substances, alcohol, or whatever?
Either way, it adds to his attraction.

If you listen to his earlier albums like The Tumbler, his vocals are not slurred. As his music became jazzier he seemed to start to use his voice as another instrument to add to the palette of sound he was creating; for example on the album Inside Out he stretches, and seems to deliberately slur, his vocals. He could, of course, have been completely out of it.

A brilliant, brilliant artist and flawed soul. A friend of mine is one of the country's top session drummers and percussionists and he's played with a whole host of the world's best musicians and orchestras. He describes Van Morrison as an absolute tw*t. Sometimes, genius comes with trials and tribulations of its own.

advertisement

Back