advertisement

Johann Johannsson (For Kevin)

nickl

pfm Member
Johann Johannsson

Icelandic. Could well appeal to fans of Max Richter's music. Is dreamy (mostly).

First up - IBM 1401 - A User's Manual. A series of largely orchestral pieces with odd bit of electronics going on in the background, with one song. All based around recordings his father (a maintenance engineer on Iceland's first IBM mainframe) made by programming the beast and tuning a radio into the noise generated by the memory of the computer.

Go to to his Myspace site. The Suns Gone Dim is the last track (and only song) from the album. The rest of it is like the music in the video that you can play if you scroll downwards (with the young lady writhing around). You don't get the gibbering on the album. It's on 4AD.

The other solo album I've got recently was Virthulegu Forsetar, which is an eerie trumpet thingy. A bugger to explain, but if you go here (and scrolll down to the bottom) you'll hear nearly three minutes of what the whole album's like (more or less). It's not a great sample to be honest. Boomkat have better (if shorter) samples, though they say they're out of stock. I got mine through Amazon. There are (slightly) livelier moments but mostly what you get are variations on bleak brass sounds. It's lovely.

And finally. When not glooming it up, Johann is a member of Apparat Organ Quintet who, for want of a better description, are a slightly wibblier Icelandic version of Kraftwerk. Go to their inevitable Myspace site and turn the volume up. Especially on Cruise Control. The whole album's very good and mostly not so Kraftwerky.

Ah, thanks for the reminder - I've been meaning to buy that IBM 1401 album - I heard about it pre-release but then forgot all about it.

Tony.

Thank you, Nick. I've listened to some of IBM 1401 on line - I like it a lot and will grab a copy soon. Nicely organic electro.

Have you tried Food? If not have a listen to Veggie which is "an eerie trumpet thing" with lots of electronic noise as you'd expect from a Deathprod related release.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=12775

Currently: Boards of Canada: Music Has The Right To Children -lovely

Kevin

IBM 1401 – A Users Manual turned up yesterday, it is a beautiful album and strangely moving being effectively the funeral wake for Iceland’s first and apparently deeply cherished mainframe computer. Highly recommended.

Tony.

Confused: what name does it go under Johann.. or the 1401 bit? & is the orchestral stuff real or synthed I cant tell on Myspace. Quite intersting if in dopey mood maybe..

It's by Johan Johannson and the work is called IBM 1401 A Users Manual. The orchestration is real (Prague Philharmonic) and it has a almost Górecki feel to the massed string arrangements. It is beautifully recorded too.

Tony.

It's turned up and is sounding very good. The trouble with Amazon is the 'if you like this, you might like this bits' I've ended up ordering a load of other stuff, a couple of Workhouse albums, been meaning to get those for a while and also this rather interesting sounding stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MDH88C/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Then it got quite wacky and I decided I had to have the Band's Last Waltz box set, and physically restrained myself from buying that Grateful Dead box set....... Although my card is still twitching.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Along these sorts of lines (though different) is the album Slumber Tides by Greg Haines. I heard a couple of tracks on Freak Zone and was got...the album is very good in an indescribable sort of way. Not a tune in sight, just phrases.

It's mostly odd bowed instruments (violin? viola? cello?) usually treated, with odd bits of haunting female voice. Sounds a bit new age crystal-channeling bollocks but isn't. Struggling here. Go to his MySpace site and decide for yourselves.

It's available from his website for £7.49 (p&p inclusive). The link to Paypal was duff when I tried it a couple of weeks ago so emailed him and Paypall'd direct.

Hello, something's stirring in East Anglia ;-)

Funnily enough I was just today reading a glowing review of a certain album on Planet Mellotron. Oh for another one (Don't worry, I really have given up).

BTW - they claim your Mellotron sounds were samples despite you being credited with playing the beast - true or false?

Did not know of this Johann Johannsson album thanks, listened to the clip and ordered it from Amazon UK. Someone mentioned trumpet, I guess you are familiar with Arve Hhenriksen on Rune Grammofon a sub of ECM

Hello, something's stirring in East Anglia ;-)

Funnily enough I was just today reading a glowing review of a certain album on Planet Mellotron. Oh for another one (Don't worry, I really have given up).

BTW - they claim your Mellotron sounds were samples despite you being credited with playing the beast - true or false?

Nick, as usual the truth is somewhere in between.:cool:

It was a mixture of an old 'tron my friend has in his studio (along with a Hammond!) and my old JV1080 tron samples for those bits longer than 8 seconds!

Regards

Stephen.

For those who liked his stuff, there's a new album out - Fordlandia - and it's great. Mostly orchestral, it's got that same blend of repetition, melody, slow burn that, like Max Richter, stays the right side of relaxing music for middle-aged gentlefolk. His Myspace site is bereft of samples just now, but there a video of one of the tracks, Melodia (Guidelines for a Space Propulsion Device based on Heim´s Quantum Theory) on his website

For those who liked his stuff, there's a new album out - Fordlandia - and it's great. Mostly orchestral, it's got that same blend of repetition, melody, slow burn that, like Max Richter, stays the right side of relaxing music for middle-aged gentlefolk. His Myspace site is bereft of samples just now, but there a video of one of the tracks, Melodia (Guidelines for a Space Propulsion Device based on Heim´s Quantum Theory) on his website

yes - I've got this and it's lovely along with all the other albums - tho, I haven't got Dis...yet!

I've almost no knowledge of ballet but caught the last 5 minutes of Wayne McGregor's new production Infra on BBC2 at the weekend, which was accompanied by music composed by Max Richter - it had me completely spellbound. Definitely going to download this on iPlayer and see if the rest was as good.

David

I've got the IBM album.

Must give it a "spin" (ie track down the FLAC and stream it, spinning is for you old folk)

Hi James, have you tried the live album on CD-R? It's very good and works surprisingly well. Buy here.

Though it has to be said this is more Wibbly than Johannson!

advertisement

Back