advertisement

Joggler

johnnym

pfm Member
I’ve recently purchase some Merdian DSP5000 speakers and have been thinking about getting a second hand squeezebox touch at some point in the future (once funds allow). However, I’ve seen a few people recommend an O2 Joggler as a cheaper alternative which appeals to me as I’ve been spending too much on hifi stuff over recent months.

The Meridian speakers are digital only and have 24/96 DAC built in with SPDIF input only. So, if I got a Joggler I’d also need a (cheap) USB to SPDIF device that could output 24/96. Any ideas on what USB device would do the job?

There is a hardware mod that is documented on the 'net somewhere, that gives you a direct SPDIF output, that may be a better solution if you are handy with a soldering iron. I don't think there is an "off the shelf" installer that gives you USB digital out, but "wilberforce" on the Joggler forum has ported Triodes USB out to the Joggler. I ran mine like that for a time, and others here have got it working. I have had one of my Jogglers fail on me, but I just picked up another, almost new, on eBay for £40 and was back up and running in a few days. Three of my five squeeze-devices are Jogglers - nice big display and a bit less "plastic" than the SBT. A good aesthetic match for the Meridian stuff.

I had briefly seen that mod and don’t mind a bit of bodging but wondered if there was an easier option, especially if it only cost a tenner. It looks as if the on board chip can output 24/96 using SPDIF if I’m looking at the right data sheet as well which is nice :)

Sorry for the step-in, but the Joggler will rely on the "Squeezeplay" plugin right?
I always thought this was a rather simple JAVA extension to have some background radio channel dibbling away on your PC speakers should you want to hear the news. Is it really worth running in a serious environment?

So why bother having this solutions specs maxed up to 24/96?
Wouldn't it make more sense to use Jriver or something alike? Or, I dare say, a SBT?

I had briefly seen that mod and don’t mind a bit of bodging but wondered if there was an easier option, especially if it only cost a tenner. It looks as if the on board chip can output 24/96 using SPDIF if I’m looking at the right data sheet as well which is nice :)
Well, you might find a cheap "usb to spdif" sound card, but I wouldn't bother - sound quality wise, it can be better or worse (depending on the clock quality inside the chip used in the Joggler). Also, the external sound card (at a very low price range) is going to be 44.1/48k anyways.

Sorry for the step-in, but the Joggler will rely on the "Squeezeplay" plugin right?
I always thought this was a rather simple JAVA extension to have some background radio channel dibbling away on your PC speakers should you want to hear the news. Is it really worth running in a serious environment?

And why wouldn't it be? In any case, there is always squeezelite.

Well, you might find a cheap "usb to spdif" sound card, but I wouldn't bother - sound quality wise, it can be better or worse (depending on the clock quality inside the chip used in the Joggler). Also, the external sound card (at a very low price range) is going to be 44.1/48k anyways.

I had a quick look at the devices available on eBay and the cheap ones didn't look great, I think I might bodge the Joggler and give it a listen. I've probably got all the parts needed knocking around as well.

So why bother having this solutions specs maxed up to 24/96?
Wouldn't it make more sense to use Jriver or something alike? Or, I dare say, a SBT?

The software that runs on the Joggler is essentially the same as runs on the SBT nowadays, and can output 24/96 via the USB using the wilberforce port of the Triode EDO. In that configuration, people on PFM have confirmed it is "bit perfect" so it should, via an external DAC, sound the same as a standard SBT, and costs less than 25% of the price!

I use three jogglers via their standard audio output, and the one in my office runs some active Meridian M3 speakers, which are quite revealing, and it certainly sounds better than the audio output of my iMac, which I used to think was pretty ok. I don't actually know what the DAC is in the joggler, and they certainly weren't designed as a hifi device, but they seems to have "accidentally" got it right. Only problem is they make some really horrid noises when booting, so you definitely have to let it fully boot before connecting it to anything!

advertisement

Back