advertisement

JKDAC32 and Vortexbox experience

redmedicine

pfm Member
Thought it might be useful to feedback my experience with the JKDAC32 I bought (thank you!) from Mongeddavid. It's being fed from my Vortexbox music server which is a Linux platform.

The JKDAC32 (http://www.johnkenny.biz/home-1/jkdac32) is a pure USB DAC. Set up wasn't exactly plug-and-play - I had to chase around the Net and run a few commands before the right drivers were downloaded and installed - but it's been working perfectly since then. The Vortexbox system sees it as a Hiface USB to spdif converter (apparently the USB interface is based on that chipset. The player is the Vortexbox player which provides gapless, bitperfect playback.

Sound? It replaced a Dacmagic (2009 model) and Vlink Usb to SPDIF converter II. After a week's listening, I'd say it's a considerable improvement. Vocals are definitely clearer and there's more instrumental separation. Everything seems to have more 'air' about it, especially tom fills and reverb. It also sounds a lot more like my record player than the Dacmagic did. The sound stage is wider - this really showed up in a tricky recording like Neil Young's recent (and marvellous) Psychedelic Pill. The Dacmagic was clearly struggling to put enough air around two guitar players with Young's guitar (with a focus around the right speaker and the centre) frequently swallowing up Frank Sampedro's in the left speaker. Via the new DAC, I can actually here the separate parts and the interaction going on for the first time without struggling.

Mp3s also sounded fine - in a previous thread, John Kenny stated that mp3s wouldn't play - wrong. They do and they sound great, much better than through an oversampling DAC.

Wether an MP3 plays or not is entirely depndant on how the player deals with them. Nothing to do with the DAC as far as I know. Apart from that, what you describe are the characteristics of a good DAC which can be a bit of a revelation!:)

advertisement

Back