advertisement

Jicks' real emotional trash

My copy dropped onto the mat today - on first listen it's at least the equal of Pig Lib. I really do like the Jicks' stuff, it seems to liberate Malkmus and adds a lot more light and shade to his style. Thumbs up!

me no like pig lib bar the odd song, but SM's debut tho (not sure if Jicks are credited album- namewise as of Pig Lib?) is a peach one of my lp12's favs; real depth to the songs structurally which Pavement lost sooo badly to music of proper lazyarseity, superficialiality and lameness (and immediately after S&E '91 imo).

which do you think the new one veers twds? debut or PL?

Deffo more like Pig Lib rather than his strictly solo stuff - no attempts at brevity or songs about pirates. The title track weighs in at over ten minutes and sounds like he wrote four different songs and couldn't choose which one to go with (lots of norty keyboards in this one).

Maybe a beg/borrow rather than a buy for you Captain. I'm guessing that one of your favourites off Pig Lib is "Vanessa From Queens"? If correct, do I win a prize?

I'm not exactly sure what it/ they may be called (even my fav dinosaur jr YLAOM which Ive 3 copies of I don't remember what song's called what half the time!)- I'm sure you're right tho, so a bag of carrots you may have. I'll give it a cautious listen then. I like that pirate song- unusual.. summat about Youl Brinner too iirc.

advertisement

Back