advertisement

Jessye Norman RIP

It is always hard to believe that an artist of the calibre of J Norman would die before one's self.

I only ever heard her sing on the radio, but she was one of the greats to rank beside F Lieder and K Flagstad.

This means more to me than woods can simply express..

George

Very sad to hear this. Recollections of her in my family include performing with her and Barenboim in Berlioz and hearing her twice, as Ariadne at Covent Garden and a few years later in the Four Last Sings in 1990. An astonishing artist. That incredibly delicate Liebestod with Karajan at Saltzburg in 1987 will last in my memory-

Last edited:
One of my first CDs was her Wagner recital with Klaus Tennstedt and the LPO, including the Liebestod and Brunhilde's Immolation.... Which is imprinted on me as the version to listen to.

Time flies.... It doesn't seem like 25 years since people were asking when she would finally record a complete Isolde or Brunhilde.

I met her once when I was young, she signed copies of her new recording of Fidelio (with Haitink) at the Glasgow Concert Hall where I was working a CD stall for Tower records.. must have been 1991. Of course I was too in awe of her to say anything!

Remember when she did a solo recital at the Proms in 99 (I think) on a Sunday afternoon with a Judith Weir premiere.

Norman was ushered out into a waiting limo with crowd barriers between her and the waiting season ticket holders. Weir wandered out past the queue to get a bus with a friend, jokingly acknowledging the good natured cheering with a wave.

Very sad, what a wonderful voice. Reference was made to a spinal cord injury in 2015, was she involved in an accident?

advertisement

Back