advertisement

Jeff Beck RIP

Nice thought, but who on earth would play JB's guitar licks,fills etc? If done hope it would not be like Mick Fleetwood's tribute to Peter Green, which was lacking in many areas.

For those who not that "au fait" with Jeff Beck, then "Live at Ronnie Scott's", "Live at the Hollywood Bowl", "Truth", "Blow by Blow", and "Wired" are essential listening. The "Still on the Run" documentary is well worth viewing too.

Not a bad guitarist at all, especially as he would have rather have spent all his time tinkering with hot rods.

Although everyone will cite "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" as *the* Jeff Beck perfromance, let's remember he gave us the soundtrack for many wedding reception punch-ups of the 70s and 80s.

Anyway, I'm off to listen to the theme tune to The Tube.

RIP

Playing the 'medley' on Youtube, which as usual turns up one or two surprises. I don't think I've heard 'Apache' and Nessun Dorma in the same listening session before. Some other great musicians featured, as well as that very special relationship with Tal Winkenfeld.

Martin Power's book "Hot Wired Guitar" is definitely well worth reading, even though it dates from 2011, maybe it could be updated to reflect JB's final years. It also has a full discography of JB's work, it will surprise many of how much his playing shows up on other artists work. Tina Turner's Private Dancer and Roger Waters Amused To Death being excellent examples.

I thought someone was playing a sick joke when they told me he had died. He seemed in great fettle although that was a cruel and deadly combination.

Jeff always stayed on his own note, never became staid or conservative, always pushing for new sounds/techniques/ collaborations.

Must have seen him play a dozen times. Never a bum note. Ronnie Scott gig must have given him great satisfaction knowing the musical snobbery in those circles.

Gutted.

Live at Ronnie Scott's - if listening in digital check out the DVD which sounds much better than the CD (which is brick-walled by comparison).
I agree. I ripped the stereo soundtrack off my BluRay & it's better than the CD for sure. The BluRay's surround is superb - really gives you the feeling of being in that intimate club. The interview with Jeff amongst the extras on the disc is fascinating, and I see it's available as a separate item on uTube.

It was recorded and filmed I believe (at least that's what RAH signs said and asked people not to film on their phones... hmmm) and all concert profits went to Jeff's favourite animal sanctuary charity

@s1h1, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I hope the Bluray/DVD film will be up to the high standard JB would have set.

advertisement

Back