advertisement

Jean Michel Jarre

I’ve listened to it. I don’t like it, although I get the concept, and the tribute to Pierre Henry is nice: he basically invented electronic music in the sixties.

Pierre Henry is great, I’ve far too little (just this Polyphonies box), but it is very cool stuff. Jarre is just too rooted in pop melody to get anywhere close IMHO. Henry is all about texture and space to my mind. I really like it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Pierre Henry is great, I’ve far too little (just this Polyphonies box), but it is very cool stuff. Jarre is just too rooted in pop melody to get anywhere close IMHO. Henry is all about texture and space to my mind. I really like it.

I've got the Symphonie Pour Un Homme Seul / Le Voyage CD - great stuff (even for a bloke from Leicester).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Jarre is just too rooted in pop melody to get anywhere close IMHO.

He was a pupil of Pierre Schaeffer and his early pieces like "La Cage" reflect that. "Deserted Palace" and "Les Grange Brulees" are moving away from that style but still contain a bit of avant garde. However, to supplement his income, he recorded a couple of pop singles under the aliases, Foggy Joe Band and Pop Corn Orchestra, and I guess that rubbed off and made "Oxygene" with more appeal than his tutor or German electronic music.

So I'd say not rooted, but certainly made a conscious shift to a more melodic approach.

This is an absolute classic, I remember the first time I heard it aged 8 or 9, in the early 70s. My then 25 godmother had the record. I bought it myself a few years later as a teenager. Nice memories. I love how music is connected to memory, how it triggers it.
Still have it.

Around 1985 I saw TD at Leicester De Montfort Hall...

...at Leicester Goldsmiths record library I was fondling a TD LP - when an Irish girl with the most alluring green eyes said "Do you like Tangerine Dream?"

When I said that I had recently seen them in concert - she was virtually in my bed.

Then she pulled "Unknown Pleasures" out from the "J" section...

... "Do you know what the hell this is?"

Game over - what a great summer!
TD ‘Rubycon’ is peak electronic music for me, but JMJ ‘Magnetic Fields’ is a very close second. I prefer it to the previous two releases, great though they are.

‘Jarre live’ along with 2 other albums was my first CD purchase along with the CD player. I remember playing it a lot, some of that may have been because it was a new fangled CD and I only had 3 of them, but I do recall some good tracks. I gave it my dad though as he liked it a lot. Could be worth a go.

TD ‘Rubycon’ is peak electronic music for me, but JMJ ‘Magnetic Fields’ is a very close second. I prefer it to the previous two releases, great though they are.
Funny that, it was a final buy for me. I think I haven’t listened to it since my initial disappointment.
Rubycon is one of my favourite records though! :)

dived into electronic music as soon as I was aware it existed and I’d certainly found Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream before Oxygene was a hit in the UK (1977). I certainly had Autobahn, TEE and Rubycon by that point. I remember thinking Oxygene was quite cheesy as I’ve always been far more interested in rhythm and texture rather than melody, but I warmed to it and still really like it, as I did to Giorgio Moroder’s stuff with Donna Summer around the same time. All this stuff has been part of my life since I was 13-14 or so and overlapped with shifting taste through eras of prog, punk, new-wave and ‘80s synth pop, indie, techno etc. I’ve always liked a good bleep

Pretty similar here, although I did like dance floors! My step-father again got me into JMJ, as he did Kraftwerk. I pretty much purchased all his lp’s as they came out. Equinoxe and Oxygene still get play here…

My love of JMJ started when I watched the Houston concert on TV, the Houston/Lyon LP was the first I purchased as a young teenager.

ZOOLOOK blew me away, still does.

Talking of electronic music - does anybody remember this?

Yes. I discovered them from the inner bag of Steve Hillage's "Motivation Radio".

3482961-4518085561c8ef8f1afa061c8ef8f1afa1164055847961c8ef8f1afa4.jpg

Picked up "Zero Time" and immediately recognised "Cybernaut" from it. Not long later, discovered the link with Stevie Wonder, so bought all of the albums he made with TONTO. The only other album I am aware of, that I don't have, is the Gil Scott Heron / Brian Jackson album, "1980". Although I am sure TONTO appears on a lot more albums...

Talking of electronic music - does anybody remember this?
Yep. Picked up Zero Time and It's About Time in the early 'seventies. I *think* I may have heard of them via Stevie Wonder's outfit. The band's custom Moog setup was used in Brian dePalma's THE PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE feature film, in 1974...

It can be glimpsed a few times in the trailer:-

Mick

EDIT - sorry in response to the Lyon 1987 comment. I thought I had quoted.

Moi aussi. I was just coming to an end of a year living there. It was quite stunning with the lasers projected on the dominant basilica on the hill (was it Fourviere)?

I used to visit friends in Vienne just to the south to attend the Jazz Festival in the Roman amphitheatre there in subsequent years and saw many of the greats at very reasonable cost. The only drawback being the vile and tepid Kronenbourg that was sold there.

Accessible music for the relatively indigent is/was a strength in France.

Yes. I discovered them from the inner bag of Steve Hillage's "Motivation Radio".

3482961-4518085561c8ef8f1afa061c8ef8f1afa1164055847961c8ef8f1afa4.jpg

Picked up "Zero Time" and immediately recognised "Cybernaut" from it. Not long later, discovered the link with Stevie Wonder, so bought all of the albums he made with TONTO. The only other album I am aware of, that I don't have, is the Gil Scott Heron / Brian Jackson album, "1980". Although I am sure TONTO appears on a lot more albums...
Motivation Radio was a definite influence on my musical tastes, growing up. My dad played it incessantly. The TONTO sounds on the final track still sound cosmic now.

Had to go and see him at the O2 a few years ago as a homage to the awe he put into my life. His trademark lasers were beautiful. I was at Docklands too...but on the wrong side of the Thames, enjoyed the fireworks as a young kid who couldn't afford the ticket (it was a sell out anyway). Nobody's mentioned Vangelis here, I sort of put him in the same category... I kick myself for never seeing him live.

advertisement

Back