advertisement

jazz - the best music, discovered last? reccomendation thread

Bottleneck, Happy to hear your enjoying the greatest music of the past 100 years.

I have a lot of great jazz LPs at home, but recently I bought a smokin' album by gal called Dee Alexander, the album is - Wild Is The Wind (2009)

There is a version of - "This Bitter Earth" on there that makes time stand still.

I hope there is a good Jazz station in your area.

Louballoo

Yes, it is a jazz thread. I quite forgot myself. Does nobody else like Bix Beiderbecke? A flawed individual, certainly, but I never heard anybody else produce a tone like that from a cornet.

Ivor says you must listen to music in a active state not a passive state. When you use words like tone you are in a passive state. Now if you meant cornet the vehicle, you are excused :D

Yes, it is a jazz thread. I quite forgot myself. Does nobody else like Bix Beiderbecke? A flawed individual, certainly, but I never heard anybody else produce a tone like that from a cornet.
I have a Bix album entitled "A Young Man With A Horn". You would probably choose a different title today!

I have just bought Everybody Digs Bill Evans on Jazz Works 180 gm.

Has anyone else got this vinyl disc? Can't play it yet as awaiting turntable and just wondered whether it was a decent recording and one of his best or otherwise?

There is a deplorable lack of Monk in this thread. I would say almost anything he did on Blue Note, Riverside or Columbia is essential. The 2 compilation CDs on Blue Note (Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 and 2) are a good place to start. Also Monk's Music, Monk's Dream, It's Monk's Time, At the Blackhawk, the Riverside recordings with Coltrane, etc. etc.

Also: if Bill Evans (p.) is crossover, then I like crossover.

apart from the obvious giants who must be explored and I'll add:

LONNIE LISTON SMITH

More Jazz funk but just buy "Visions of a new world" and "expansion" in any case. Luckily i have originals passed to me from my parents. Two of the greatest albums I have ever played and if you like a bit of smoke just about the best thing to get stoned to. ;-)

PHAROAH SAUNDERS.

"journey to the one" is great starting point and an incredible album. Move onto "Thembi" and then explore onwards and upwards.

Return to Forever

More latin fusion in the case of their first album on ECM with flora purim but again, one of my greatest ever albums.

Yusef Lateef

Eastern sounds is a good starting point. "love theme from spartacus" needs no introduction.

GEORGE BENSON

If you like guitar check his early stuff. White Rabbit album is incredible.

Seconded on Thelonius and George Benson.
Jimmy Smith is one of my all time favourites and when he gets together with Wes Montgomery, magic happens.
[YOUTUBE]iqhN6rvfJt4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

My top five are (in no particular order) and a bit predictable perhaps as they are all major names - they got to be so by being GREAT!

Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington - Together (pref 18g stereo).
Milcho Leviev - Blues for a Fisherman (Live at Ronnie Scotts 1980).
Oscar Peterson - Night Train (my parents disc from the period - still as good today)
Dexter Gordon - One flight up. Pedersen the teen bassist and complex rhythms/patterns make this one standout.
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (love the horns and sax and not as up it's backside as the later Miles D stuff (just my personal opinion of course:)

Which shall I listen to night on the GRF's / Conical horns 3 way.. hmm let me see...

There is a deplorable lack of Monk in this thread. I would say almost anything he did on Blue Note, Riverside or Columbia is essential. The 2 compilation CDs on Blue Note (Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 and 2) are a good place to start. Also Monk's Music, Monk's Dream, It's Monk's Time, At the Blackhawk, the Riverside recordings with Coltrane, etc. etc.

Also: if Bill Evans (p.) is crossover, then I like crossover.

bill evans is jazz crossed with jazz

Just get the Penguin book - it's hands down the best resource for learning about jazz recordings.

FWIW Fopp have had racks of three quid Blue Note CDs the last couple of times I've been in...

I'm sure a search in the PFM archives will show a thread where we have been through this before.

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
EST - Strange Place for Snow

My top five (probably... hard to make such a shortlist)

The Penguin Guide recommendation above is good (and has also been made before on this forum) - go for the "Crown" 5-star recommendations and then look at 4-star etc etc

this is a great thread...

I'm glad it's (mostly) stayed on topic.

PFM NEEDS a jazz thread.

We all NEED more jazz. It is like crack cocaine for your soul.

I'm sure a search in the PFM archives will show a thread where we have been through this before.

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
EST - Strange Place for Snow

My top five (probably... hard to make such a shortlist)

The Penguin Guide recommendation above is good (and has also been made before on this forum) - go for the "Crown" 5-star recommendations and then look at 4-star etc etc

although give it some time before trying In a silent Way and Bitches Brew ....

they are not exactly instantaneous

am actually just now enjoying the best of EST on vinyl.

Only played one track so far (arrived today), but so far very pleased, nice sound quality and of course usual excellent EST music.
Also just ordered a bad plus album on vinyl, and a load of cds :)

advertisement

Back