advertisement

Jazz Guitarist Recommendations.

I had a listen to Kevin Eubanks who I didn't like at all - all fast tricks and a poor instrumental tone. Barry Galbraith was basically "just another diatonic guitarist" following on from Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery and all the other guitarists in that mould, who mainly played standards. In 2024 I expect a more original harmonic language, which is why I like Ed Bickert so much.

I listen very rarely to guitarists - I'm much more into keyboard players. Much more interesting tonality, either with an acoustic piano or all the colours you can get from electric keyboards and synthesisers. Give me Weather Report or Jan Hammer rather than anything guitar based. I don't listen to rock music either, with the exception of Steely Dan and a few others. And even with Steely Dan I'm more drawn to Donald Fagen's solo projects which are more keyboard based.

The guitar is rarely used in classical music because there are so many more interesting instruments to write for. Having grown up with classical music, I'm much more attuned to that kind of sound palate. No doubt a heretical viewpoint on a guitar thread!!

I have that on my Discogs wantlist, and I've been offered, so far, two or three copies at between £80 and £130 ....

Would you consider importing a new and sealed copy from Germany at €46 posted? Even if customs do get hold of it, it'll be a significant saving on the copies you've been offered at £80 to £130.

I've been following some of the links in this thread and exploring the names mentioned. I don't think I have consciously listened to Gabor Szabo before but definitely liking what I hear... His name comes up in histories of San Francisco music and the influence on Kaukonen, Garcia and especially Santana is pretty clear.

I'll offer Harry Christelis. His album "Nurture the Child, Challenge the Adult" was a highlight of the year for me last year, in a Frisell / Jon Hassell sort of space.

advertisement

Back