advertisement

Jasmine Myra on bio-PVC from Gondwana

Vinny

pfm Member
Lots of comment about bio-PVC online now.
Being a chemist, my reaction is that it is a total con', but I need to do more reading.
Oil is a problem when burnt or irresponsibly disposed of in any of its forms. Plastics are not of themselves a problem, and whether from oil or anywhere else, PVC, is PVC.

Anyway - one to add to the "buy" list here -

Just by way of a bump in hoping to boost her sales a bit, this arrived this morning, playing now.

I am biased as sax' is second only to guitar in my likes as individual instruments, but this is really excellent.

Needless to say, another from Gondwana.

Agree : it’s a really excellent record. I had it on pre order and have been playing it a lot since it arrived.

Gondwana are on a roll at the moment. Pretty much everything they release is worth a listen.

There’s a listen party for the next release tonight. You can sign in here

A different sound but with players from Mammal Hands and others on the label.

I saw Jasmine Myra in Glasgow last week, her first ever gig in Scotland. Really enjoyed it.

Jasmine and pianist Jasper Green (who also plays in Matthew Hallsall's band) stayed and chatted afterwards. I came away with a signed copy of Horizons.

I've also seen Gondwana artists Portico Quartet, Mammal Hands and Chip Wickham live over the years. Will hopefully get to see Matthew on tour in the UK next month.

It's a terrific record and a very deceptive listen. On the surface it feels quite light and easy, but beneath it sits a core of steel. I don't know what bio vinyl is, but the pressing sounds immaculate to me.

BioVinyl basically aims to reduce the environmental impact of vinyl by replacing (at least some of) the petroleum/mineral oil with vegetable oil.

Various companies have been collecting used cooking oil from chip shops and other fast food outlets for many years now. The oil gets filtered and cleaned before being turned into fuel or plastics etc. I just happen to know one of the lead scientists working on bioplastic research in the UK.

On Bandcamp, Gondwana describe their BioViny as "Printed on beautiful black BioVinyl, a sustainable, responsible alternative to traditional vinyl, which is a petroleum by-product. This innovative product uses bio-based PVC in the production process. It is identical in quality to a conventional pressing, allowing us to press to the highest audio quality whilst using a responsible and sustainable PVC supply chain."

Biovinyl is a con.

Where the hydrocarbon comes from is totally irrelevant, the real nasty in records is the chlorine. Neither is any plastic a by-product of anything.

Like so many of these ideas, they are great so long as the use is tiny/niche (ie. irrelevant). Replace all PVC with hyrocarbon derived from sunflower oil, for instance, and you'd need to plant all of European farmland with sunflowers, or some such lunacy.
The current world production of PVC is around 40 million tonnes per year, and sunflower oil around 22 million tonnes.
It is complicated somewhat by the fact that around half of the wieght of (P)VC is chlorine, and records are made from vinyl chloride/vinyl acetate co-polymer.

Palm oil was going to be the "saviour" a few years ago but now that millions of acres of tropical forest have been cleared to produce it, "everyone" is desperate to get it out of their (mostly food) products because of the environmental carnage that it has caused.

Interesting point

Do you sharer this guy's view?

"I am baffled that no large record company has had the backing of a big-selling artist to stop making physical records,” he says, angrily explaining how CDs and vinyl are manufactured around the world, packaged with “chopped-down trees and plastic” and shipped to customers. “How can anybody stand up and say ‘save the planet’? Artists are awful for hypocritical bandwagonery.”

Agree : it’s a really excellent record. I had it on pre order and have been playing it a lot since it arrived.

Gondwana are on a roll at the moment. Pretty much everything they release is worth a listen.

There’s a listen party for the next release tonight. You can sign in here

A different sound but with players from Mammal Hands and others on the label.

Listening to the Keelin Rose album at 24-96 on Qobuz at the moment.

Really beautiful - a step up from her first two albums - very ethereal.

I just ordered the CD on Bandcamp.

Do you sharer this guy's view?

Probably not, based just on what the link shows alone.
Using oil for anything that is "archived" does no harm and when it is scrapped, it should be recycled, not go to landfill or the oceans. Most forestry for paper/board manufacture is now from sustainable sources.

The problem with oil, is burning it, nothing else, if everything else was only handled responsibly.

30% of crude oil is not burnt, and that 30% is absolutely everywhere - paints, plastics, adhesives, it even encapsulates micro-electronics and forms the boards that they are mounted on, it save horrendous food wastage as packaging, everyone wears it, even if only as dyes in cotton or wool, it protects crops from countless probelms of insects and fungi, it is far lighter to transport than glass bottles, and what about drugs - in one way or another they are made from or otherwise reliant upon crude oil, and they are packaged.

There is not one minutest part of everyday life that is not fundementally affected by or reliant upon crude oil, unless you are a naked hermit living in a cave and feeding yourself off wild, untouched land.

How would an electric vehicle do if lubricated with lard?

Just to add some further perspective, the world uses around 10-12 million tonnes (80-90 million barrels) of crude oil per day, so non-fuel uses are around 3-3.5 million tonnes per day, something over 1 trillion tonnes per year. That is a lot of sunflowers.

Just Stop Oil
Sure, no prob's.....................

advertisement

Back