advertisement

Japrocksampler

Hey Joel

Sidetracking just a bit - what is it with Japanese kids obsession with late 70's punk/post-punk singles? My mate has been selling copies of a single we made in 1981 on eBay - first one went for £40 the latest one for £75. Both to Japan. We are thinking of reforming for a tour over there!

Cheers

Rich

I have to admit I's struggling with Cope's tiny font size - I might have to get one of those 'old person's' magnifiers!

Tony.

(Loving the look of Joel's demented weirdness CD box set - what the hell is it?)

Sidetracking just a bit - what is it with Japanese kids obsession with late 70's punk/post-punk singles?

One of my friends (Pink Moon Records) shifts tons of 80s Liverpool stuff to Japan - the more obscure it is the more they seem to want it. I reckon about half of my old band's output is over there now.

Tony.

There are record shops in Shibuya that would cause you lot to faint - and not just because of the prices :)
The interest in all kinds of obscure and interesting music is simply part of the deep culture of connoisseurship and collecting in Japan. This is one of the many things that makes this place so wonderful.

Japrocksampler was fun but my head started spinning with the repeated names/cross references about halfway through. I acquired some Magical Power Mako and Flower Travellin' Band as a result - anyone got any of the Group Sounds stuff to recommend?

An update.

The book got better - once it had got past the "and Abraham begat Isaac and Isaac begat Joseph and Joseph begat Billybob" bits and into the parts where he really got into the music it was fine, though still not very well written (repeated phrases and descriptions, and how the hell does someone so steeped in Krautrock manage to spell Klaus Schulze's name wrong every time?). Oh, and he mentions Grand Funk Railroad several times in complementary terms which is more than a little worrying.

Minor gripes though on the whole.

As for the music, I'd already got Satori (Flower Travellin' Band) and it's just as he described. And as mentioned before much of his top 50 albums are unavailable so well I've reluctantly downloaded several Far East Family Band albums and he's spot on there too, and though you can see that they're about 3 or 4 years behind the prevailing styles of the time from this remove it really doesn't matter.

The early one - The Cave Down To Earth is rooted in a melodic Moodies/Floyd style and is very good if you like that sort of thing, but is vastly improved upon by the follow-up Nipponjin: Join Our Mental Phase Sound, where Klaus Schulze basically remixed/re-recorded stuff from earlier albums into something much much better. Still the odd Moody Blues moment and a dash of phase 2 Floyd stabbing organ chords.

Even better is Parallel World, where Schulze turns them into something akin to a Japanese Cosmic Jokers. I've managed to buy both of the latter through German Amazon, though be sure to go for the vesion of Parallel World on Lion Records (it has a red frame round the cover) - I suspect the other version there is a pirate.

The following album is more of a reversion to the earlier style, and I haven't heard it.

I'd get The Cave too if I could find a copy.

The other one I've tried is the "super-session" album attributed to Love Live Life +1's Love Will Make A Better You, which Cope raves about. On first listen I can't relate to it at all - there's a long free-form track with lots of shouting followed by several long aimless jams that go nowhere..

Next on the list to listen to is a Les Rallizes Denudes album that I've downloaded (Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes. I'm not sure it's going to be my cup of tea but I'll let you know...

Finally, if anyone out there has any views on any JA Caesar stuff - this sounds as though it should be great but I can't find anything on the web - it'd be appreciated.

I have a couple of Les Rallizes Denudes records on order from Forced Exposure, the bits I've found on the web make me think I'll like them.

Overall, it's not a bad book, and it's certainly added to my limited knowledge of some interesting groups.

-- Ian

Thought they might be ;-)

You may well like the Love Live Life +1 too.

And yes, it's opened up a whole new world I mostly didn't know existed, and you can't knock that.

Plucked up the courage for Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes, which is totally bonkers in a captivating way - howls of guitar-led distortion and feedback at ear-syringing levels over a relentless backing may not sound very attractive but last night it was great (I could foresee moods when I'd leg it form the troom sharpish though).

A very short leap to Acid Mothers Temple from here.

I'm liking Les Rallizes Denudes. The compilation Flightless Bird Needs Water Wings (aka Yodo-Go-A-Go-Go) is a very good place to start:

http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/les.rallizes.denudes.html

You're right about the AMT similarities, although I think Les Rallizes Denudes are more amphetamine-driven and punkier than a lot of contemporary Japanese psychedelia. They've clearly listened to the VU's White Light/White Heat. A lot. No bad thing.

-- Ian

Les Rallizes Denudes' Heavier Than a Death in the Family is extremely good stuff, listening to it for the first time now and it's the best record by them I've heard so far. Loud as hell, trebly guitar distortion to the max.

-- Ian

I have been listening to a bunch of things inspired by the book - Magical Power Mako, Flower Travellin' Band etc. Some of that stuff does trip my prog alarm somewhat... I keep meaning to pick up 'Heavier than a Death in the Family' which I will find and order this very moment.

P.s. My friend edited Japrocksampler and gave me my copy!

advertisement

Back