advertisement

Japanese spec NAIT voltage?

neiljadman

Would there be any difference? Japan runs on 100v, US on 120(ish). Would Naim have bothered to make it any different? If yes, is it reversible?

Hi Neil.

I'm sure that the same transformer is used for US/Japan (and UK for that matter).
The primary windings are in parallel for 115Vac and series for 230V.

Dave.

Hi Dave, I know it seems logical to me too. But the seller (a Japanese gentleman now resident in the US) is adamant and uses a 100 - 110v converter with it.

Hi again.

It's only 10% and that is to be expected to some extent in mains tolerances.
I'd be amazed if it made a blind bit of difference - after all, the output goes straight into rectification, smoothed and then regulated.

Dave.

It's only 10% and that is to be expected to some extent in mains tolerances.

10 % in voltage difference turns out to 20% in power difference according to Mr Ohm and his law. And yes, it's easy to hear the difference if the amp is working into clipping (remember, even the "all amps sound the same" brigade agree that amps sound different when they driven into clipping).

And a Nait isn't so powerful that you want to waste the little power there is...

JohanR

Hi Johan.

I don't quite understand?
If the transformer is designed for 100Vac and it is running at 110Vac, then the output voltage to the rectifier will be higher and the regulators will work a bit harder to drop to the required voltage.

What has that got to do with clipping in this case?

Regards Dave.

naits are regulated?
Apparently it's a big problem for japs emigrating to the us - a lot of stuff goes pop.
I doubt it would affect a nait but can't say for sure.

As cubastreet says, the power amp section is not regulated in a Nait. You will get 20% more power if moving from Japan to the US, 20% less if moving from US to Japan.

And, of course, again as cubastreet says, with the 20% increase in power moving from Japan to US, something might break.

JohanR

Hi Guys.

You are right the power amp section is not regulated - the complete amp is via an LM317 AFAIK.

The voltage is set around 24Vdc, so any increase in the mains supply (and subsequent secondary) will make the reg work harder to dissipate the unwanted addition voltage.

As you say though, there are limits......

Dave.

advertisement

Back