advertisement

Japan

Women treated as 2nd class citizens in the world of work.
Where I worked there were female managers and things are slowly changing but it is still a very patriarchal society. My OH used to (rightly) get pissed off when Japanese men ignored her and addressed me. There are lots of things I love about Japanese society but that isn't one.

My first main experience in Japan.

We had arrived in Tokyo and were settling into our apartment. To try and shake-off some of the jet lag, I went for a walk to the nearest subway station to pick up the tourist travel passes I had pre-ordered.

I got to the station office and with the help of Google translate (superb app) and some pictures I managed to convey my request to get my passes printed. The station officer said that this subway station didn't have these pass printing machines, but the next subway station did. He invited me to take the train for one stop to the next station. I declined, saying that I would walk to the next station. (I just wanted to stretch my legs and get an idea of the locale.)

I arrived at the next station. Bear in mind, that at this point, I was jetlagged and had about 3 hours sleep.
I approached the station office and when I was about 10m away a station guard saw me, nodded and got up and approached me.
I'm thinking, 'How on Earth can I be in trouble? I've only been in the country a few hours.'

'Subway pass?' he enquired. I nodded, a little stunned at this point. How did he know? Did I give off helpless tourist vibes?
As he led me to the machine and instructed me on how to use it to print my passes, the only possible answer dawned on me. I asked if the guard from the other station had called him to be on the lookout for and help the tourist. He confirmed that they had!

That experience put me in a superb mood for the rest of the trip.

Just an observation of my time teaching in a big EFL school in Ramsgate, where we had quite a few Japanese, although I really only remember the girls (!). We rented out a room for one beauty, to whom I gave many private lessons. Guess they were well-heeled as they liked the high life; they also liked German boys, of which there were a number. I was told that this was indeed a trend as there was some affinity between their nationalities, although no idea if it was reflected in both genders. Odd, if true, as surely it can't be historical.

@artless - I thought for a minute you were going to say you walked for 10 minutes and realised you were still in the same subway station... gotta love it when you get out the train and the platform signs say 'Chiyoda Line 650m' or something.

I liked my winter visits - food aside I can leave it. Yatai stall street food is amazing. And okonomiyaki is astonishing - best in Europe I've found is in Barca

@artless - I thought for a minute you were going to say you walked for 10 minutes and realised you were still in the same subway station... gotta love it when you get out the train and the platform signs say 'Chiyoda Line 650m' or something.
Indeed. I was a bit frazzled and the second subway station was virtually identical inside, so I was slightly disorientated and experiencing deja vu.

The sizes of some of their stations (Tokyo, Shinjuku, Kyoto) and the huge shopping malls! Incredible, but they can be confusing and easy to get lost in initially. However, google maps to the rescue (it also showed entrance/exit names, which was useful).

In Kyoto station, we were aiming for Ramen alley, a food court on the 12th floor of the upstairs mall.
The escalators were arranged in a line. So, at the end of each escalator, you could get off at the floor or go a few steps more to the next up (or down) escalator, rather than doing a 180 degree turn to the next escalator in your direction of travel.

It gave a lovely overview, with the 12 escalators running from the front to the back of the dept store in a diagonal line.

The sizes of some of their stations (Tokyo, Shinjuku, Kyoto) and the huge shopping malls! Incredible, but they can be confusing and easy to get lost in initially. However, google maps to the rescue (it also showed entrance/exit names, which was useful).
Shinkjuku is actually more like five different stations with eight department stores thrown into the mix. As you say it's easy to get lost and find yourself wandering past perfume counters wondering if you're ever going to reach the Odakyu line.

When I'd not been living there long I got a surprise call to say an ex-colleague was in town and would like to meet up. I agreed to his suggestion to meet 'outside Shinkjuku station' forgetting it has over 200 exits. We both felt like we'd earned a beer by the time we finally found each other...

All part of the fun : )

First went in 1991, then again in1994. Both for work. Fast forward 30 years, new job that requires visits to Japan. Will be there first week of July.

Indeed. I was a bit frazzled and the second subway station was virtually identical inside, so I was slightly disorientated and experiencing deja vu.

In Kyoto station, we were aiming for Ramen alley, a food court on the 12th floor of the upstairs mall.
The escalators were arranged in a line. So, at the end of each escalator, you could get off at the floor or go a few steps more to the next up (or down) escalator, rather than doing a 180 degree turn to the next escalator in your direction of travel.

It gave a lovely overview, with the 12 escalators running from the front to the back of the dept store in a diagonal line.
The indoors/outdoors stairs/escaltors at Kyoto station are great. There is even a light show in the evening on the steps which is really neat.

I love Japan and have been 9 times, last trip Feb 2023 and hoping to go again Feb 2025.

I had some luck on the Premium Bonds a few weeks ago so decided that I should visit Japan. I'm off for a couple of weeks early in May.

The airlines don't use Russian airspace anymore. They need to detour over or under it.

Not all. Being too old and too grumpy to be crammed into the arse end of a plane for hours on end, and too much of a pensioner to pay for direct business class seats, I Gogoled around and found a great deal with Air China. They fly over Russian airspace. I have a two hour layover in shanghai on the way to Tokyo and a five day layover in Beijing on the way back. If you are transiting China (I.e. A -> China -> B) then you can stay up to 144 hours without a visa. You cannot go gallavanting around the country on this entry permit, but there will be plenty to see in and around Beijing for a couple of days.

Agree Air China fly over Russia. I will use them to return from Shanghai in june. The return flight with BA is 15hrs. Going over Russia cuts 3hrs.

I only visited once (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Miyajima Island, and Osaka), for 2 weeks. I loved the Japanese:

a) their beautifully styled everyday items and older buildings, simple = beautiful and serene
b) their kindness and helpfulness
c) their ordered way of life
d) the way they respected those around themselves. They seem to grasp that if you choose to live in a society then it works better for everyone if you don't put yourself first every time.

I will return, its too good not to.

They seem to grasp that if you choose to live in a society then it works better for everyone if you don't put yourself first every time.
Though the other side of that is that if you are Japanese the pressure to conform to societal obligations can be stifling. Swings and roundabouts.

I would avoid flights that use Russian air space. In the unlikely event that the flight has a technical issue over Russia and has to divert I won't risk the possiblity of being mis treated by the Russians on arrival. 3 hours in an aircraft is worth every second to avoid this risk.

If you're visiting Tokyo and are interested in Sumo, I highly recommend this company :
sumoexperience

My son and I did the lunch sumo show, which ended off, if you wanted to, with a bout with one of the wrestlers.

I 'won' my fight. I was seeing stars and exhausted after pushing and pulling against the wrestler. I thought the bout lasted 3 or 4 minutes. Video playback showed me the reality - 30 seconds.

I have watched Sumo wrestling for years on NHK. Up close and personal, you get a real appreciation of their size and power.
A thoroughly enjoyable and rare experience.

I've always wanted to visit Japan, if I were forced to live on the cuisine of just one Nation, it would be Japan's (yes aware it's not all just sushi, sashimi etc). I'd obviously want to visit Tokyo, but I'd also want to see some of the countryside and personally I'd never forgive myself if I ever went and didn't visit Hiroshima (I can't explain my motivation, but it's not out of morbid voyerism. It just feels like something I should do).

Just an observation of my time teaching in a big EFL school in Ramsgate, where we had quite a few Japanese, although I really only remember the girls (!). We rented out a room for one beauty, to whom I gave many private lessons. Guess they were well-heeled as they liked the high life; they also liked German boys, of which there were a number. I was told that this was indeed a trend as there was some affinity between their nationalities, although no idea if it was reflected in both genders. Odd, if true, as surely it can't be historical.
I used to rent out the second bedroom to students from a local EFL school, it was all via the school of course and it was the school who paid me. A lot of the students were from either Japan or S Korea. When I had a meeting with the accommodation manager at the school, she made a point of telling me that when I was explaining something to such a student I should be mindful that when they nodded it didn't mean they understood what I was saying, it was just the way they confirmed they were listening (I suppose it was a respect thing).

advertisement

Back