advertisement

Japan

On a related note, as a result of this thread taking me to Japan tunes on youtube, I have discovered Visage. Really enjoying their self-titled debut album.

On a related note, as a result of this thread taking me to Japan tunes on youtube, I have discovered Visage. Really enjoying their self-titled debut album.

It contains the best bits from Magazine and Ultravox - what more could you want?

How odd....I am listening to the brand new Steve Jansen - Tender Extinction as we speak.

Top tunes and has some Thomas Feiner on which is always a good thing.

Ha! I saw them at The Old Grey Whistle Test with The Thompson Twins.

Judging by their pantomime at Live Aid the Thompson Twins should have been put down at, or preferably before, birth.

Japan however, present something rare. Music that is new, eighties, listenable and interesting to even this jaded old 60s fart.

Mull

Sadly... Looking like Dusty Springfield and sounding like a Bryan Ferry wannabee does not a good version of 'I Second That Emotion' make...

Stick with the Ghosts son!

Mull

Not exactly Japan but this is one of my favourite albums: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0022SPFGW?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

latest

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They seem woefully overlooked these days, I guess because they had such a strong visual image, but these guys are some of the best musos of their era IMHO.

I have to admit that their visual image put me off back in the day. I bracketed them with the other insubstantial synth bands of the time - all image and no substance.

How wrong I was!! I've got several of their albums plus the Rain Tree Crow one plus some of their solo stuff (plus, of course, most of Barbieri's more recent band) Must try and complete the set.

I think part of the problem with the band's reputation is that David Sylvian has so resolutely refused to look back. So no formal reformations, no tribute gigs, no cache of unreleased demos, no guest appearances on Help, I'm a Celebrity, etc. As an artist, he seems to live exclusively in the here and now, which is really how it should be. In fact, I often get the impression from his interviews that he is slightly embarrassed by the Japan years, though he has absolutely no need to be.

Sorry, it's just the first part of the catalogue number for a very large range of mid-80s Japanese first-issue rock and pop CDs. VDJ is the equivalent range for jazz. From a mastering perspective they are usually unsurpassed to this day, really nice sounding discs. They tend to be flat transfers of the master tapes without additional compression or bad EQ choices, often rather quiet in level so you have to crank the amp a bit, but the dynamic range is intact and not squashed. They are becoming increasingly collectable, as are West German 'targets' etc from the same era, but it is still possible to find them for reasonable money if one hunts around. I'm on a mission...

Many thanks,

David Torn on guitar and Mick Karn on bass sounds like an unmissable combination! Thanks for the recommendation.
I have a few things like it but nothing as good. Torn and Karn do all they can to stop Bozzio from taking over.

I've tried and failed to get into Japan several times...
I always admire the great production and experimental soundscapes that goes into their albums, but there's something about the 80s synth and drums sound that scares me off..
It took me a while to get into Talk Talk as well, so I need to give it another go.
What album should I start with - Quiet Life or Tin Drum?

It took me a while to get into Talk Talk as well, so I need to give it another go.
What album should I start with - Quiet Life or Tin Drum?

I'd split the difference with Gentlemen Take Polaroids, which I think may be their most perfect album. Alternately start with the Rain Tree Crow album and work backwards.

Best thread in ages!

My copies (Lps) of Polaroids always sounded very dull and lack lustre - what the SP on a decent version? don’t mind CD or LP.

My copies (Lps) of Polaroids always sounded very dull and lack lustre - what the SP on a decent version? don’t mind CD or LP.

I've got UK 1st press vinyl and the first issue Virgin CD and yes, it is a bit murky and dark, but in a good way IMHO. The current CD remaster addresses this to some degree and is not bad at all, I can see many preferring it. Worth a punt if you want a bit more light and punch.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Caroline records are US versions.
Original GTP on vinyl and original CD are pretty much the best, the 2003 remaster is brick walled.
I have some nice original Japanese releases with obis, Quiet Life is a white label.
Tha 32VD Tin Drum cd is the best I have heard.
Fantastic band, still got the cassettes I had in the early 80s.

I just got a second copy (better than my original) of Art Of Parties 12" which is a very different version to the version on the Tin Drum album. Far superior on 12" to the weak sounding album version. Ace band and Polaroids is a good start, it's all good - just some of it is 'different' good...

Japan, what a band.

Talented.

I saw them perform Quiet Life on OGW re-run a couple of weeks ago, just amazing, live and amazing.

Japan were one of those bands that out of my mates I was the only one that liked them. Is Japan an acquired taste?

advertisement

Back