advertisement

I've just bought a very cheap Radford....

i bought an atc amp from them and it arrived on a pallet as they didn't wan to courier it, but the amp was faulty so i drove it down to them and they refunded me on the spot. Nice bunch of guys.

I'd be very surprised if it's not mostly Radford. That main cage is cut, folded then welded by the looks, not something you could knock up without serious machinery. Has anyone seen a close fake like this, or do the transformers come up for sale on there own?
It might turn up today by the looks, then we'll know!

Interesting. I've worked on / restored many but never seen any with an iec input and rocker switch. Will, Radford Revival will know if any late ones were made like this.

The only Radfords that have rocker switches and IEC inlets are the Mk4 made by Sondex in the 80s (which are laid out very differently to this one) and our Series 5

This will be a Series 3 with holes in the metalwork

Is it giving you sound? Or do you want to have it checked over before firing it up?

Many will tell you the ST15 was the best sounding Radford amp. That's what you have?

Is it giving you sound? Or do you want to have it checked over before firing it up?

Many will tell you the ST15 was the best sounding Radford amp. That's what you have?
I've never been that careful! I'll connect my least expensive speakers and see what happens tonight.

That look very tidy...
Yer reckon? Looks ok-ish

It really annoys me when people take beatlutiful vintage kit, rip it to pieces then install all new guts and use all the wrong fixings. This is actually a good example of how to wipe nearly £1000 off the value of an amplifier

Dom, for some reason all your images go wrong and need to be clicked on to display (at least for me). I think you need to choose a different link option. They are all tiny, even when clicked on

Amp looks like somebody competent, perhaps an engineer at a recording studio, has rebuilt it in a safe, but unsympathetic way. Should sound fine

I wonder where those replacement boards came from? Guessing that it was rebuilt in 96.

Yer reckon? Looks ok-ish
Dan, I've seen much worse, usually in the name of "modifications". At least it appear to everything in the right place :)

Just looking again, I would say that the heater wires need to be twisted, and why use the same colour wire for the PCB to valve bases, that must have been fun to get right.

Going to the trouble of applying coloured varnish to solder joints? The rebuilder must have been a trained professional, just not someone who gave a rat's about originality or retained value.

advertisement

Back