advertisement

iTunes/Music alternatives

boneman

pfm Member
I'm nearly at the end of my rope with iTunes/Music. I updated my mini to the latest OS it can go to - Catalina - some time ago. I shouldn't have. Itunes version in this OS just sucks. Loses my artwork randomly. You can no longer use keyboard shortcuts to get info. When you click on an album and go back to a catagory say 'Artists' it no longer remembers where you were and starts at the top. It's slow.

Other than downgrading anyone have any replacements to recommend? I've vaguely had a look but nothing really jumped out.

I'm nearly at the end of my rope with iTunes/Music. I updated my mini to the latest OS it can go to - Catalina - some time ago. I shouldn't have. Itunes version in this OS just sucks. Loses my artwork randomly. You can no longer use keyboard shortcuts to get info. When you click on an album and go back to a catagory say 'Artists' it no longer remembers where you were and starts at the top. It's slow.

Other than downgrading anyone have any replacements to recommend? I've vaguely had a look but nothing really jumped out.

That's part of the reason I stayed with Mojave on both my Macs. Worth trying.

Could be wrong but I thought once your itunes db has been updated to Catalina I don't think you can revert it to the version that Mojave runs.

Bummer if so! Would not surprise me given how Apple works. I kept a Time Machine backup of Mojave and restored to it pretty quickly. I was also motivated because I have 32 bit apps that I did not want to either forego or replace.

What *might* be possible is to install Mojave and associated apps, like iTunes, and then to import from your Catalina iTunes library. It's a bit of faffing about, but it might work.

You might also try asking on a site like MacRumors or Apple Support.

Bummer if so! Would not surprise me given how Apple works. I kept a Time Machine backup of Mojave and restored to it pretty quickly. I was also motivated because I have 32 bit apps that I did not want to either forego or replace.

What *might* be possible is to install Mojave and associated apps, like iTunes, and then to import from your Catalina iTunes library. It's a bit of faffing about, but it might work.

You might also try asking on a site like MacRumors or Apple Support.

Yeah I think you are right it can probably be done. I'm also thinking of possibly going for a BlueSound Node which of course would eliminate the need for iTunes.

advertisement

Back