advertisement

Ittok v OL modified 250

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
Hello All.

I have nearly (I hope) reached a point wher my system does everything I want it to.

I think the only weak link might be my tonearm but I have no point of reference. If any of you have heard a Rega RB250 with OL counterweight against an Ittok LVII I would appreciate your thoughts on which is more musical. There are a couple on eBay now that look quite good (don't think I can afford the Ekos!)

The arm would be on an LP12, non cirkus, but new plinth and trampolin II with an AT-OC9 MLII.

Thanks in response.

Andrew

TBH, I think you may find that both are capable arms, but give different presentations, one or the other of which you may prefer. I've always preferred the Ittok's 'sound' to that of the Rega (i've actually heard an RB300 with the OL counterweight, not a 250). If you're buying a S/H Ittok, be wary, as some may have trashed bearings and not be worth the money.

Cheers

Adrian

I have an OL1 250 with a custom weight from AudioOrigami. I think it sounds excellent.

However, I remember in the past, some people saying that the 250/300's weren't a great match for the LP12. So, I think the answer might depend on what deck you have.

I have an OL1 250 with a custom weight from AudioOrigami. I think it sounds excellent.

However, I remember in the past, some people saying that the 250/300's weren't a great match for the LP12. So, I think the answer might depend on what deck you have.

It's an LP12 which is why I suspect that an Ittok might be better. I just need to find a 'perfect' example.

Or you could contact Johnny (J7) at Audio Origami and ask him if he can service an Ittock for you - if yes find a cheap Ittock. Or just buy the PU2 advertised on his website

Rega arms CAN work well on the LP12, as can the SME V!!!! It just depends what you want from the sound. An Ittok LVII in good order has a character that would suit your vintage 'Sondek perfectly - the Rega's sound "polite" by comparison on this Lp12 vintage in my view.

If you can find a Cirkus in good order (with new springs/grommets etc) I'd get one of these too, as the bass end is made much better, if not as "fruity" as before.

Sounds like an Ittok is the way to go............except everyone seems to want one now, the prices are silly! (£400+ for a 20 year old arm).
I think I am going to save up for an Ekos SE.

advertisement

Back