advertisement

It's a Jazz Thing, tonight Ch.4 - 6.55pm

dave charlton

pfm member
Branford Marsalis sets off to see if jazz is still alive and kicking. Featuring John McLaughlin, the AEOC, Courtney and many more. Looks like a must see.

I'll be at the QEH listening to Sam Rivers play...

Will tape it, Branford is a quite a bit less irritating than Wynton.

-- Ian

...Monday is Cecil Taylor/Bill Dixon/Tony Oxley, supported by Anthony Braxton.

The London Jazz Festival has just started. For once, they have some real giants of the avant-garde (been a bit thin on the ground over the last few years).

-- Ian

Phew! A pretty good overview of the current scene I guess. Bits I liked were Bill Frisell playing McGlaughlin, Tim Berne's improv and the Chicago Underground Trio's anti-war thing (not my stance btw), the free jazz and fusion stuff failed to engage. That old cliche One Man's Meat... still ring's true.

Sam Rivers was ace too. Stick thin (as always), looks like a gust of wind would blow him over, 81 years old and still playing with real power. First half was his trio, in which all 3 band members played multiple instruments (although not at the same time, natch) - the bass player also plays sax, as does the drummer, who additionally plays piano, Rivers plays saxes (soprano, tenor, alto), flute, and piano. Second half was a big band, with an impressive line-up including Ian Ballamy, Ashley Slater, Tony Kofi, Martin Speake, and others, and was really excellent, Rivers conducting and dancing a funky soft-shoe shuffle and seeming to have a whale of a time. It was recorded for Jazz on 3, worth listening out for.

-- Ian

Well, I've now seen Branford's programme. Breadth rather than any depth, but good to see brief glances of David S. Ware and William Parker, and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Courtney Pine looks even odder than he used to.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back