advertisement

It Live's!!

Looks fantastic!

Great job you've done there and the grass sets it off nicely :)

If that is a prototype then I for one an eagerly looking forward to some pics of the the finished item.

Rob.

Ok, as a picture paints a thousand words the construction of the plinth is pretty self explanatary. First photo shows the Walnut mitred and glued together with all the bracing in place.

Stage1.jpg
[/IMG]

Next is the top plate and the armboard. The armboard is upsidedown, the recess is for the mounting nut for the RB300. There are 3 clearance holes in the armboard recess and the armboard is decoupled from the top plate by a rubber gasket made from a old innertube. The screws are inserted from underneath and are also decoupled with rubber tap washers. It works well but is not a very accurate meathod of possitioning the arm, I need to work on this further.

Stage2.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally a close up of the corner bracing showing the squash balls that are used to support the top plate. One problem I have is the top plate settling due to the weight of the motor unit. I will need to look into this also for the final version.

Soundwise I am chuffed to bits with the Garrard. It sounds weighty with a wonderfully deep and clean bass but seems very nimble with it. Not at all what I would expect a 30 or 40 year old turntable to sound. It realy desrves more than the £22 Ortofon MM its got at the moment!
For the final version I will look out for a nice bit of mt favourite timber, English Elm. The top plate will be covered in leather and as already stated a more accurate armboard system needs developing.

Paul.
Stage3.jpg
[/IMG]

congratulations Paul , your record player looks fantastic..........so much so i have decided to hold on to mine and follow suit !

are you interested in seling your prototype plinth ?

regards BB

Another veiw of the finished article giving a better veiw of the decoupled armboard. The recess in the top plate was achieved by cutting a 3-1/2" hole in a piece of 6mm mdf and then glueing that to the 18mm birch ply top plate.

Finished2.jpg

Paul.

advertisement

Back