advertisement

It’s about time we had another cable thread.

This sort of interconnect comparison is unlikely to result in an audible difference, since the switching on your headphone amp most likely only switches between the hot leads of each input. So the ground paths of both will be in parallel all the time, rendering the test invalid.
let me contact ifi audio about this
thanks honestly very interesting

I am always baffled by "time distortions" when the same RCA cable used for composite analog video doesn't show any ghosting or smearing on the picture, something where the human eye is very sensitive to any group delay problems

Notably video cables proved far more resistant to the cable BS, I tested a whole bunch myself back in the day and the really well built SCARTs (now available for about £5) were better than cheaper types, with the ultra budget ones being kinda shabby, and decent RCA types all much the same. Clear differences, a TV is it's own measuring device in a way, I had tweaked the TV for a great picture too.

Digital has for the most part proven immune to cable BS because all HDMI, USB, DVI-D, DP, etc, cables are the same if they are working. It's only Audio, where people really can hear things that literally do not exist in any measurable way outside of their heads that persists, it's basically a marketers wet dream.

It’s encouraging to see ‘linear crystal’ copper getting more accepted in the mainstream. Whilst current science doesn’t really explain why, except for increased conductivity, it is used extensively in Japanese high end gear, LFD gear etc., very expensive, but now Van Damme & others offer it at much better value. What is interesting is that ‘reduced grain’ is a common observation of the effects of OCC copper. Expectation bias, or do we need a quantum mechanical model of conductivity and a quantum ‘scope? :D

Annoying isn’t it, I am sure that once it has pulled its socks up it will be able to explain all those things you hear.
Keith

Realistically I do not think cables make a 'night and day' difference, or 'transform systems' etc.

One thing I certainly don't hear is differences between properly configured software, but you used to, right?

Like ex-smokers being the most vocal anti-smokers, the same applies to ex-subjectivists...

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/21157-why-amarra-sounds-better-than-itunes/

Well researched Y 2009, I admit when I first heard Amarra, demonstrated privately at the Munich Hi-End I really did think there was a difference,perhaps back then there was, perhaps Amarra were deliberately altering the FR who knows.
Now I realise how bias plays a huge part in our listening and that marketing departments/reviewers and dealers will say almost anything to sell.
If you want to compare cables do it unsighted and ask a friend to change them over for you.
Keith

how you gravitate back to cable a or b over a long period of time proves nothing

I'm not looking for proof. I am after long term satisfaction with my hifi. After all the speculation, measurements, discussion and general dicking about this is the only thing that really matters.

I'm not looking for proof. I am after long term satisfaction with my hifi. After all the speculation, measurements, discussion and general dicking about this is the only thing that really matters.

Nice to read a post I strongly agree with. I think your view would be widely supported by those who have probably wanted to avoid this sort of thread. I am sure many of the posters on this thread will think we need to be sent for retraining.

Nic P

Notably video cables....
Digital has for the most part proven immune to cable BS because all HDMI, USB, DVI-D, DP, etc, cables are the same if they are working. It's only Audio, where people really can hear things that literally do not exist in any measurable way outside of their heads that persists, it's basically a marketers wet dream.
Of course one advantage with video is that you can capture an image frame and inspect it. And you can zoom in and out. This is helped people to see that changing hdmi cables does nothing. You can't do this with audio.

hmm, well you clearly implied that since you gravitate toward one cable more then the other, that tells you that it sounds better. but whatever, I really dont care.

This sort of interconnect comparison is unlikely to result in an audible difference, since the switching on your headphone amp most likely only switches between the hot leads of each input. So the ground paths of both will be in parallel all the time, rendering the test invalid.
ifi audio confirmed what you said.
omg, ever since ive conducted my test, I was convinced that cables didnt make a inch of differences but it was due to my pre amp configurations making indeed my test invalid. wow, thanks a lot for that and I retract any comment if whether or not cable do make a differences.

Ive just compared my audioquest water (500$) vs my analysis plus oval one (100$) and I do seem to hear a quite serious improvement when the Water are being used. is it bias or not, I dont know and dont care, the AQ water stays

ifi audio confirmed what you said.
omg, ever since ive conducted my test, I was convinced that cables didnt make a inch of differences but it was due to my pre amp configurations making indeed my test invalid. wow, thanks a lot for that and I retract any comment if whether or not cable do make a differences.

Ive just compared my audioquest water (500$) vs my analysis plus oval one (100$) and I do seem to hear a quite serious improvement when the Water are being used. is it bias or not, I dont know and dont care, the AQ water stays

So as a result of discovering your test setup was faulty you have totally given up on any attempt at reliable testing and instead decided to follow your subjective preference?

Of course one advantage with video is that you can capture an image frame and inspect it. And you can zoom in and out. This is helped people to see that changing hdmi cables does nothing. You can't do this with audio.
Doesn't stop exotic video cable reviewers claiming that their HDMI cable gives brighter colours

All that needs to be done is to measure a difference between cables, inconnects, leads..whatever. If there is a difference, end of story, it's then a subjective opinion which is better.
How to measure a difference? Because what we hear comes purely from the back and forth movements of the drivers, we need to plot those movements.
Perhaps a laser reflecting from the cone, the distance being recorded at tiny intervals of time (nanoseconds?) Then play the same track with different leads. A simple computer comparison of plots would show variations or not. This is a bit like zooming into a digital photo when side by side comparisons are irrefutable.
I don't understand why this hasn't been done, I can only assume we haven't got a high end hifi buff who is also a scientist. One thing I would stipulate though is that the measurements must be at nanosecond level, to remove all doubt or argument.

advertisement

Back