advertisement

Isola di Capri - worth going ?

Cheese

Bitter lover
Hi all,

The best woman in the world is turning 50 next year so it's time to spend a week at a place she might like and which, just by chance, I might like too :)

I found Capri was a good place to stay, as it enables us day-tripping to Naples and different villages of the Amalfi coast. I'd like to go in May.

Some around me have said that Capri was nowadays overrun by tourists like mad, I tell them that mid-may is not the full tourist season yet - in truth I'm still a little worried about that.

Do some of you have some experiences to share ?

I was in Capri in August and it was beautiful but, overrun by masses of tourists. May should be a bit better, but still pretty crowded. It might be better to choose a quieter place on the Amalfi coast and take a day trip to Capri, and also go up to Anacapri. (If you do, visit Axel Munthe's house). Capri itself, even in May, is packed with hordes of Russians, Chinese, Japanese, etc., as well as Europeans of all shapes and sizes. There is also the Island of Ischia, or even quieter, the island of Procida. But in general May is good, although probably too cold for swimming unless you are pretty cold-tolerant.
Still, Capri has a particular historical aura about it. All those English and German and Russian aristo-nutters who stayed or lived there in the past. Read "South Wind" by Norman Douglas.

We did something similar in early April 2008 but stayed in Sorrento and did a day trip to Capri. The island was already overrun by tourists, it was difficult to find somewhere for lunch without having to queue. We flew into Naples, hired a car, and drove to several places including the Amalfi coast. The Italian railway system is great so we took the train to Pompeii. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Aminta which had a pool and impressive views across the Bay of Naples to Vesuvius. The hotel's restaurant was excellent.

A colleague (born in Naples) told me that even he doesn't go there for holiday anymore. He says je prefers Puglia, the heel of Italy, but on google the coasts look less appealing. Any ideas ?

my Italian colleague, doesn't go anywhere
in Italy any more. He prefers the quieter Greek Islands

I would happily go back to the Amalfi coast, probably base myself in Positano or similar. I Think its a beautiful part of the world.Then day trips out from there, including a day on Capri.
We also loved our time in the Verona-Lake Garda region.

The problem with Capri is that it's a daytripper's destination, so it's unbearable during the day - we did a boat trip from Praiano the first time. It's only when you stay on the island that you can enjoy it in the evening (IMHO). If you base yourself there (expensive!), then your day trips are somewhere else, and there's plenty to choose from in that neck of the woods!

my Italian colleague, doesn't go anywhere
in Italy any more. He prefers the quieter Greek Islands
This made me laugh. We own a small hovel on a Greek island which is quite popular with Italians in high summer. My Greek neighbours once complained to me that the Italians were very noisy. I nearly chocked on my olives. I mean, Greeks complaining that Italians are noisy? Πραγματικά?

Sorry, cannot say we enjoyed this holiday, it was ok only.
We stayed in Sorrento in May 2018 and visited everywhere one should. allvery picturesque, would we go again, NO. Cruise ship inhabitants everywhere, mob handed. I think on D- Day wte did not have as many landing crafts as these monsters.

Bloss

Italians are MUCH noisier than Greeks!
I spend time in both countries.
I like Naples though I don't know Capri. I imagine that as others say it gets very busy with day trippers. I don't know Puglia but what I do know is that the further south you go in Italy the quieter and poorer it gets. I visit Calabria regularly, it's lovely there but it's poor. The place is improving but there's still a lack of infrastructure and not much going on, if you see what I mean. You will find any number of villages but they all have the same rather ordinary bar-cafe, maybe a modest restaurant but little else. If this is your thing, great, but of you want smart restaurants and luxury hotels and resorts they are few and far between.

I've been to Capri. Its a lovely placed totally ruined by tourists....not the ones like me of course. When I was there last it was Americans. Now it will be Russians who are even noiser and more vulgar. Ok for a day trip if you must, but otherwise avoid at all costs. At the moment I am really enjoying the Italian Lakes. May is an excellent time to visit.

Italians are MUCH noisier than Greeks!
I spend time in both countries.......

This is debatable. I too know both countries quite well, and have lived in Greece...!

In May I'd recommend Sperlonga, on the Lazio coast, about half-way between Napoli and Rome. It's a white town, perched on a cliff with a glorious strip of beach beneath the town proper. You would need to drive there however, as there is no rail service to the town (the closest rail stop being in Fondi, about 15km from Sperlonga).

Early May might be a little cool on Capri, depending on what you like. Very beginning of June, just before Italian school hols start is probably better (but sea still not very warm). If you stay somewhere with a nice pool, you could avoid the day trippers.

As for Greeks & Italians : “Una faccia, una razza” (“one face, one race”) is how the saying goes...

Visited Capri one day from Sorrento, had disgusting overpriced salad - lettuce was going brown, should have complained really - cruise ship arrived and a horde of Americans invaded ( nice enough people but a few too many ), can’t remember anything worth seeing there. Bit of a brief stay admittedly but it is such a romantic attraction that I imagine it is continually crowded and expensive in high season.

advertisement

Back