advertisement

Islamophobia rife in the Conservative party

A good friend of ours is often at downing st, he is an eminent interfaith adviser and before that another islamics expert was interfaith adviser. I am sure they will take these calls very seriously in an effort to overcome islamophobia

They don't stand a chance of addressing it. It's in the Tory bloodstream and it's integral to their electoral success.

However the far-right press will continue to normalise it and a supine BBC will whitewash it so they'll get away with it.

After all, the Windrush scandal didn't seem to dent Tory part support in the local elections.

Whilst most of us knew the Tories are a hateful bunch, it’ll be interesting to see how much coverage this is given by the press:

Conservatives must launch urgent inquiry into Islamophobia in the party, Muslim Council of Britain demands - The Independent https://apple.news/ArkdoFyZQQjOyuwlDOCZOow

It was reported by the BBC a few days ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44311092

'Theresa May should publicly acknowledge that Islamophobia is a problem in the Conservative Party, former party chairman Baroness Warsi has said.

Parts of the party had been "in denial" about the issue and a "clear statement" was needed about what was to be done to tackle it, she told the BBC.

The Muslim Council of Britain has urged the Tories to launch an independent inquiry into alleged Islamophobia.

A Tory spokesman said it took all incidents of Islamophobia seriously.

The Muslim Council of Britain has repeatedly demanded an investigation, and says there are now "more than weekly incidents" involving Tory candidates and representatives.'

And by the Torygraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...rged-launch-independent-inquiry-islamophobia/

The Conservative Party has been urged to launch an independent inquiry into Islamophobia to make sure "racists and bigots have no place in the party".

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) has written to party chairman Brandon Lewis, highlighting a string of incidents by Tory candidates and other representatives.

In the letter, MCB general secretary Harun Khan said they were "more than weekly occurrences of Islamophobia" in April.

They ranged from allegedly offensive tweets to accusations of links to far-right figures.'

The accusation of Islamophobia (in the Conservative party) covers legitimate criticisms of the Muslim community. Any criticism of the Muslim community is considered Islamophobic.

Melanie Philips.

The accusation of Islamophobia (in the Conservative party) covers legitimate criticisms of the Muslim community. Any criticism of the Muslim community is considered Islamophobic.

Melanie Philips.

Again.

Irony meter banging off the end stops.

The Tories won't do a proper investigation into Islamophobia, they are too busy looking up their own anuses. Grinning out of some of them is Michael Gove.

A Tory donor wants May replaced by Gove in order to achieve Brexit, reports The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...h-michael-gove-tory-donor-says-brexit-uk-news

"Crispin Odey, a hedge fund manager who backed the Leave campaign, said he believed the environment secretary had the skills to make a success of Britain’s exit and appeal to voters. Odey, whose most recent donation to the Conservative party was a £50,000 gift before last year’s general election, said the government needed to be far bolder in its attitude to Brussels. It should be learning from the new Italian populist coalition government."

Theresa May has allegedly ordered a necklace and a pair of shoes to take on Odey.

Jack

It’s an indicator of the state of decay in the governing party that these minor league ‘businessmen’ can come out of the woodwork challenging a sitting Prime Minister. The Tory Party’s looking like a former celebrity reduced to having their picture taken with drunks or doing the opening of a tanning parlour for a few quid.

I think it’s a bit silly singling out the “hateful Tories” for Islamophobia, which is currently the #1 racial/religious phobia throughout the Western world.

It is the job of the hateful selfish Tories to maintain Middle Class values and suppress the Low Classes.

The fact that they have chosen to include Islam in their list of enemies is par for their course as they will be too busy looking up the bottom of a Gammon.

Read Grace before every meal!

I think it’s a bit silly singling out the “hateful Tories” for Islamophobia, which is currently the #1 racial/religious phobia throughout the Western world.
...but when a chap isn't an Islamophobe, isn't it fair game to point it out, especially in the governing party?
Silly not to, surely?

Islamophobia and Anti Semitism. Are they BOTH rife or are the terms misunderstood and incorrectly applied?

My personal experience is possibly interesting. My wife is from SE Asia. Firstly people assume anyone from that part of the world is bought and paid for. Secondly, they assume they are Buddhist. Strangely they are OK with those.

When they find out that she is Muslim their whole demeanour changes.

When I then wind them up about my converting, the look of horror on their faces needs to go viral.

I've never come across that with the middle classes and the Jewish friends I've had for decades. Maybe the terms, or at least one of them, are/is misinterpreted.

Islamophobia and Anti Semitism. Are they BOTH rife or are the terms misunderstood and incorrectly applied?

My personal experience is possibly interesting. My wife is from SE Asia. Firstly people assume anyone from that part of the world is bought and paid for. Secondly, they assume they are Buddhist. Strangely they are OK with those.

When they find out that she is Muslim their whole demeanour changes.

When I then wind them up about my converting, the look of horror on their faces needs to go viral.

I've never come across that with the middle classes and the Jewish friends I've had for decades. Maybe the terms, or at least one of them, are/is misinterpreted.

Both rife imho, but the modern foundations of Islamophobia are different & based largely on the association of terrorism with Islam & the frequent reticence of those such as the Muslim Council to immediately and vocally denounce terrorist acts and the radicalisation of their young. Piled on top of this is the current EU immigration dilemma.

This has resulted in a deep level of mistrust & division within pretty much all Western societies - and much more so in some other countries, for example France & now Italy.

Edit : well, better add Sweden, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland etc etc

The silliness of holding the governing party to account for systemic prejudice. You make it sound like they're being picked on: "But Miss all the boys were doing it!" So, so far we've had Yehbut they deserve it and Yehbut everyone's at it. And we all know the second strategy's just a roundabout way of arriving at the first: "Well don't you wonder why everyone's at it?"

And that's basically where we end up here:

Both rife imho, but the modern foundations of Islamophobia are different & based largely on the association of terrorism with Islam & the frequent reticence of those such as the Muslim Council to immediately and vocally denounce terrorist acts and the radicalisation of their young. Piled on top of this is the current EU immigration dilemma.

This has resulted in a deep level of mistrust & division within pretty much all Western societies - and much more so in some other countries, for example France & now Italy.

Edit : well, better add Sweden, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland etc etc

The "frequent reticence" is a smear: the Muslim Council of Britain routinely condemn terrorism, local mosques overwhelmingly preach non-violence, individual Muslims are constantly required to condemn acts that have no more to do with them than with any non-Muslim. The "deep level of mistrust" isn't about terrorism and migration it's about the instrumentalisation of those things by the press, by the government and by racists, who will use anything.

ISlamophobia and antisemitism are shaped by different historical circumstances and take different rhetorical forms but they're basically the same: it's twunts persecuting minorities for fun, profit and political gain.

it's twunts persecuting minorities for fun, profit and political gain.

Sean - you’re too intelligent to believe this, the issues are both more complex and obvious. Best not to be in denial about human tribalism, from which racism & religious persecution derive (the recent issue about anti-semitism in the PLP was about its denial, not its existence).

Nothing is ever resolved, in whole or in part, through denial - and resolution is what we want, right, or is this just another excuse for a political bash (“fair game” as Kendo put it)?

This thread is so very pfm...

Sean - you’re too intelligent to believe this, the issues are both more complex and obvious. Best not to be in denial about human tribalism, from which racism & religious persecution derive (the recent issue about anti-semitism in the PLP was about its denial, not its existence).

Nothing is ever resolved, in whole or in part, through denial - and resolution is what we want, right, or is this just another excuse for a political bash (“fair game” as Kendo put it)?

This thread is so very pfm...
Sean is right about "frequent reticence" being a smear though. Check out any right wng discussion group on Facebook - you'll find hundreds of comments to that effect. The "average Muslim" just wants to get on with his or her life and is not obliged to go out of their way to "condemn terrorism" after every incident (although some do, of course). And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Likewise, there was nothing wrong when millons of Protestants and Catholics across the UK continued to live normal lives during the Republican/Unionist strife.

advertisement

Back