advertisement

Is this Boris’s 'No More Boom or Bust' Moment?

He's saying it's indestructible whilst belabouring it with a club hammer. Testing it to destruction, in fact.

The relationship is indestructible in as much as both the UK and USA are both 2 party states in the style of a democracy - if you vote for any other option should they be available your vote is worth nothing. Both countries are ruled by a small clique and need each other to confirm their 'democratic' legitimacy.
As for Northern Ireland there probably won't have been much discussion - I wonder whether Johnson has been told what he will do in order to get some sort of trade deal. He doesn't have many cards to play with the USA and Ireland is one of very few issues that have bi partisan support in US politics.

C’mon Anglosphere rools ( or at least it used to). Expect ‘conservative voice’ and history celeb Niall Ferguson to pop up pushing this old bloat while seeking relevance.

If it came from the lips of Boris it means he will work to destroy relationship. He's a great one for saying x and then doing the exact opposite.

Biden appears to be playing his cards diplomatically, by not responding to the 'indestructible' comment (compare and contrast to Trump who offended half of Europe's politicians before he even landed).

For its part Johnson's comment looks merely like another total untruth told in a desperate bid to make things look better for himself and his clueless ministers. In reality I'd imagine Biden thinks of Johnson as a poor-man's Trump (in fairness to Johnson, I don't think he quite aspires to the full-package, though he does have his moments) whom the Democrat govt in Washington is keen to get out of the way before a more sensible and trustworthy replacement is ushered in. In the mean time Johnson better play nicely re the EU/N Ireland so that Biden doesn't have to say anything overly embarrassing thus endangering the 'special relationship' UK govt's claim.

Johnson's govt doesn't even have much in common with 'proper' Conservatives/Republicans, never mind Democrats, I don't think it would be over harsh to consider Johnson as just a bit of shit on Biden's shoe.

advertisement

Back