advertisement

Is there an inexpensive remote control preamp to match the Quad 306?

How inexpensive?

NAD probably have something from the late 90s Monitor Series that would work. I really enjoyed my old 1600 tuner preamp. And they're gray, which is a bonus if your Quad is too.

Last edited:
Douk Audio

HiFi Bluetooth Stereo Audio Preamp with PGA2310 Volume Control Wireless Receiver

Try one like this from eBay £70 ish

Gary

To just widen things, which passive preamp. would people recommend using with the
Quad 306 ?
Tilsbury ?
( Not sure if that’s the name )
I think it was mentioned somewhere on PFM.

To just widen things, which passive preamp. would people recommend using with the
Quad 306 ?
Tilsbury ?
It's Tisbury. AFAICT they are selector switches and volume pots, nothing else. Probably the quality of the volume pot is the biggest differentiator between their models. They're so simple I think I'd have way more fun building one myself -- not a lot to do really:

iu

Tilsbury is their baking products division.

It's Tisbury. AFAICT they are selector switches and volume pots, nothing else. Probably the quality of the volume pot is the biggest differentiator between their models. They're so simple I think I'd have way more fun building one myself -- not a lot to do really:

iu

Tilsbury is their baking products division.

Pilsbury?

Quad 306 ?
Tilsbury ?

i use a tisbury passive pre with my 306.

very well built, transparent and excellent value in my opinion.

my only issue is the ‘steps’ in the volume attenuators are quite far apart but it works for me. It also has -10db and -20db attenuation switches on the base if needed.

Another question, if I may. With setting at 0db do you get a decent range of travel in the volume steps ? In other words it doesn't go from very quiet to very loud in just a few steps?

Another question, if I may. With setting at 0db do you get a decent range of travel in the volume steps ? In other words it doesn't go from very quiet to very loud in just a few steps?

the jumps are possibly a little big than ideal, but certainly liveable with. With vinyl I usually end at between 12 and 2 o’clock on the dial but with digital radio/cd it’s usually 9-11 o’clock.

I cant remember if this changed much with any attenuation

Thanks for responding. I'm a bit of a Tisbury fan (I have their Domino phono preamp) & it's fairly inevitable that I will try their passive at some point now. Or get the sensitivity of the 306 reduced.

Just got one for my 306 and I’m getting great range on -10db. Speakers are pretty sensitive.

I do like the idea of a remote though, so let us know about the eBay one.

I got a chance to try this earlier this morning.

Broadly compatible with the Quad 306, i.e it has a reasonable range of travel in the volume control.

At first listen it doesn't sound dramatically better than my DIY passive, nor does it sound dramatically worse.

The only minor annoyance is that the remote doesn't ship with a battery & I shall have to venture out into Covidland to get one.

Perhaps more later.

advertisement

Back