advertisement

Is there a 'Get Back' Beatles thread

ian r

401's Nakman
I have searched for a thread dedicated to the Peter Jackson composed film which I find very moving so far...I don't have a Disney account so my access is intermittent and have only seen the first section but being a fly on the wall and knowing 50 years of Later history only adds to the ennui

I expect there is a thread but I haven't found it, I have been away for ages so am catching up

I watched some of it, my daughter has a Disney + account, thought it was a bit pish to be honest.

Interestingly a few of the people in the film were dead within ten years, the big roadie guy was shot by police in America somewhere after a mental health episode, Lennon of course, Harrison too albeit a bit later but he never recovered from being stabbed in his house and there were a few others, Linda McCartney another one most of those died relatively young.

Pretty tragic to be honest.

Mal Evans

Death[edit]
On 5 January 1976, Evans was so despondent that Hughes phoned John Hoernie, Evans' co-writer for his biography, and asked him to visit them. Hoernie saw Evans "really doped-up and groggy" but Evans told Hoernie to make sure he finished Living the Beatles' Legend.[2] Hoernie helped Evans up to an upstairs bedroom, but during an incoherent conversation, Evans picked up an air rifle. Hoernie struggled with Evans, but Evans, being much stronger, held onto the weapon.[2]

Hughes then phoned the police and told them that Evans was confused, had a rifle,[41] and was on valium. Four police officers arrived and three of them, David D. Krempa, Robert E. Brannon and Lieutenant Higbie, went up to the bedroom.[59] They later reported that as soon as Evans saw the three police officers he pointed a rifle at them.[60] The officers repeatedly told Evans to put down the weapon but Evans refused.[61] The police fired six shots, four hitting Evans and killing him.[62] Evans previously had been awarded the badge of "Honorary Sheriff of Los Angeles County",[2] but in the Los Angeles Times, he was referred to as a "jobless former road manager for the Beatles".[61]

Evans was cremated on 7 January 1976, in Los Angeles. None of the former Beatles attended his funeral, but Harry Nilsson, George Martin, Neil Aspinall and other friends did. George Harrisonarranged for Evans' family to receive £5,000, as Evans had not maintained his life insurance premiums, and was not entitled to a pension.[36] When Evans' ashes were sent by post back to England, they were misplaced and lost in the postal system but were eventually returned to his family. Upon learning of the lost remains, John Lennon reportedly joked by saying, "They should look in the dead letter file."[63]

Legacy[edit]
In 1986, a trunk containing Evans' diaries and other effects was found in the basement of a New York publisher, and then sent to his family in London.[4] In 1992, Lennon's original pages of lyrics to "A Day in the Life" were sold by the Evans estate for £56,600 at Sotheby's in London.[64] In 2010, a double-sided sheet of paper containing the hand-written lyrics and notes to "A Day in the Life" were sold at auction at Sotheby's in New York to an anonymous American buyer for $1.2m (£810,000).[65] Other lyrics collected by Evans have been subject to legal action over the years: In 1996, McCartney went to the High Court in England and prevented the sale of the original lyrics to "With a Little Help from My Friends" that Evans' ex-wife had tried to sell, by claiming that the lyrics were collected by Evans as a part of his duties, and therefore belonged to the Beatles, collectively.[66] A 2004 report of the discovery of a further collection of Evans's Beatles' memorabilia proved to be false.[67]

A notebook in which McCartney wrote the lyrics for "Hey Jude" was sold in 1998, for £111,500. The notebook also contains lyrics for "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "All You Need Is Love". It also contained lyrics, notes, drawings and poems by Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and Starr, as well as by Evans.[68]

Actor Nik Wood-Jones wrote and performed a one-man play, "Beatle Mal," about Evans; it premiered at the Cavern Club in 2012.[69]

In December 2021 it was reported that a biography of Evans, written by Beatles scholar Kenneth Womack, was to be published by Harper Collins's Day Street in 2023, followed the next year by material from Evans' diary and archives. At the time of the announcement it was revealed, from Evans's diary, how Paul McCartney saved Evans from police arrest by Police Constable Ray Dagg at the Beatles' farewell gig conducted on the roof of their record company's London office.[1][70][71][72]

Notes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Evans

Forgot about Billy Preston who died penniless.

Death[edit]
Preston had suffered kidney disease in his later years, brought on by his hypertension. He received a kidney transplant in 2002, but his health continued to deteriorate. He had voluntarily entered a drug rehabilitation clinic in Malibu, California, at the suggestion of guitarist Is'real Benton, and suffered pericarditis there, leading to respiratory failure that left him in a coma from November 21, 2005.[1] Preston died on June 6, 2006, in Scottsdale, Arizona.[2]

Preston's funeral was held June 21, 2006. At the funeral, which lasted almost three hours, Joe Cocker sang, Little Richard reminisced, and a brass band played a stirring version of "Amazing Grace". Other musical performers included The Temptations' lead vocalist Ali Woodson and singer Merry Clayton. A gospel choir, clad in bright red, sang throughout. The mourners also heard letters written by Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and others who had toured and recorded with Preston.[33] He was buried at Inglewood Park Cemetery in Inglewood, California.[34]

Legacy[edit]
Miles Davis' 1974 album Get Up with It features a track called "Billy Preston" in his honor.

Ringo Starr, speaking during the rehearsals for the Concert for George in 2002, called Preston one of the greatest Hammond organ players of all time. In another interview Starr said, "Billy never put his hands in the wrong place. Never." [35]

Preston's song "Nothing from Nothing" was featured on the soundtracks of 2003's Elf and 2008's Be Kind Rewind.

In his introduction to the 2010 BBC Radio program Billy Preston: That's the Way God Planned It, former Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman said of Preston: "Every keyboard player I know loves Billy Preston. You can spot his playing a mile off, whether it's the Hammond organ, the Fender Rhodes or the piano. He had such a spiritual touch to his technique; it made him completely unique."[36]

Preston was among hundreds of artists whose material was destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.[37]

In 2021, White Horse Pictures and Homegrown Pictures announced that they were making a documentary on Preston, to be directed by Paris Barclay.[38]

Awards and nominations[edit]
Preston was nominated for nine Grammy Awards and won two. He won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance for "Outa-Space" at the 15th Annual Grammy Awards in 1973. He also won a Grammy Award for Album of the Year for his participation in the album The Concert For Bangla Desh at the same ceremony.[39] He was inducted into the Class of 2021 of the Rock and Roll Hall Fame with the Musical Excellence Award. [40]

Those are indeed sad tales and I have heard snippets of Mal Evans demise but never the whole story....that's very tragic. I watched Concert for George on its release and Billy Preston was a big vibe contributor to that...

Only the good die young perhaps

A laugh out loud moment in the Beatles film for me was Billy effortlessly playing Hammond one-handed because in his other was a newspaper he was reading intently - still sounded pretty good.

It's 52 years to the actual day that the Beatles were last together as a group in Abby Road with George Martin working on the final takes on Let it Be... It astonishes me that everything about them still pulls all my attention and excitement.

"On January 3 and 4, 1970, George Martin went into EMI with Paul, George and Ringo – John was traveling – and added overdubs to "Let It Be," including brass, background vocals and a new lead guitar part from George. (The one recorded this day was a rocking, distorted part, whereas one he had added in April 30, the previous year, was, like the one he had tracked live, played simply through a Leslie.) The three also recorded George's "I Me Mine," which appeared in the film at Twickenham, but had never been recorded at Apple on 8-track. These sessions marked the last true Beatles recording session."

Amazing is the word. "What I saw in them that day (On the roof) was the three kids, plus Ringo, from Hamburg," says Michael Lindsay-Hogg. "I saw the rock and roll band reconstituting itself. I saw them being really happy, to be playing with each other, having this silly adventure up on the roof, not knowing what was going to happen.

"But if you look at the exchange of glances, between Paul and John and George and Ringo, they were having the absolute best time. And they were showing that they were really the best rock and roll band of all time." Adds Ken Mansfield, "They came up on that stage that day without a soundcheck, but they went back down the stairs with a soul check."

From SoundandVision magazine

Last edited:
Anyone remember where in the doc I might find John and Paul singing a ventriloquist version of two of us?

My son has come to like the song and I think this would make him laugh.

Anyone remember where in the doc I might find John and Paul singing a ventriloquist version of two of us?

My son has come to like the song and I think this would make him laugh.
It’s about fifty minutes from the end of part three…

advertisement

Back