advertisement

Is the Sony RX 100 III the cheapest current version?

Coda II

getting there slowly
It appears that my original RX 100 may be on the way out; image stabilisation error message for a while now but today it started being hit and miss whether the shutter would fire or not.
It was under £300 four years ago and the III has an RRP of over £800 now.
I have really liked using the RX and also have some other, bigger, cameras. But for a truly pocketable device is there something else to look at that is closer in price to the original RX?

Thanks

I wanted a pocketable camera that was good quality and, most importantly, had a viewfinder for when I was out walking with my dog. Initially went with an RX100 III, which I like a lot, however decided I wanted something with a bit more reach. The RX100 versions with a longer lens were pretty expensive so instead I got a Panasonic TZ100 as it also has a larger than normal sensor and a decent viewfinder and was a lot cheaper. So I'd suggest that's also definitely worth a look, as since getting it I don't use the RX100 much any more (except as an underwater camera as I've got a diving housing for it).

I wanted a pocketable camera that was good quality and, most importantly, had a viewfinder for when I was out walking with my dog. Initially went with an RX100 III, which I like a lot, however decided I wanted something with a bit more reach. The RX100 versions with a longer lens were pretty expensive so instead I got a Panasonic TZ100 as it also has a larger than normal sensor and a decent viewfinder and was a lot cheaper. So I'd suggest that's also definitely worth a look, as since getting it I don't use the RX100 much any more (except as an underwater camera as I've got a diving housing for it).

That's certainly more like it price-wise. That said I'd probably go shorter/faster given the option.

That's certainly more like it price-wise. That said I'd probably go shorter/faster given the option.

In that case then I'd say the RX100 III is maybe still your best bet. Overall I'd say it's capable of better results than the TZ100 (which is also very good), a tad wider and the viewfinder is also bigger (although I actually prefer the TZ100 one as I've ripped the pop-up one off the RX100 a few times and it's a tad fiddly to re-fit). We see a lot of wildlife when walking the dog though, hence wanting the longer zoom of the TZ100.

In that case then I'd say the RX100 III is maybe still your best bet. Overall I'd say it's capable of better results than the TZ100 (which is also very good), a tad wider and the viewfinder is also bigger (although I actually prefer the TZ100 one as I've ripped the pop-up one off the RX100 a few times and it's a tad fiddly to re-fit). We see a lot of wildlife when walking the dog though, hence wanting the longer zoom of the TZ100.
Looks like the III is available for £379 currently, which makes it much more attractive!

£379 is the same as the TZ100 is available for, so if you don't need the longer reach and don't mind the pop-up viewfinder (which I do like because it's bigger that the TZ100, but with just the occasional niggle when it detaches) then I think it will be the best option for you. When I last looked a year or so back the RX100 III and TZ100 seemed to be the best options in that price range.

advertisement

Back