advertisement

Is the pc flat.

john & Jake

Jake was smarter than me
Hi, just got into pc music so I'm playing it by ear:)
Using the AIMP3 player which as an interface I find fine.
It has a real time frequency display (see link ) which seems to favour the mid to bass regions, is this output typical of pc based systems.
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i464/Jbaldam/PLAYER.png

It has an equaliser set flat and I prefer not to alter this as I generally rely on everything being flat.:)

The Graphic Equaliser on foobar seems to favour the mid bass region too. And I know I'm getting bit perfect output so I don't think it representative of anything ominous happening in the playback chain.:D

If I recall correctly Jriver actually had an option deep in the menus to correct this apparent non audiable frequency aberration in the Graphic Equaliser and give a more true to life representation. :)

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it though.;)

The graphic displayed is showing the amount of each frequency in that piece of music, and that is pretty typical, but it will be dynamic anyway. Its not telling you what the PC is doing to the music. Computers have many many ways of messing up music reproduction, but when they get it right, it is completely right in a way CD players never managed. You can do loads of reading in this forum and elsewhere and find the solution, or you can buy a Squeezebox Touch (while you still can), and be assured you're getting the right 1s and 0s out of it, add in a nice DAC, sit down and enjoy.

if you know about graphic eq and octaves and the natural curve of the ears adjustment to volume you would get close to understanding why a frequency analyser or spectrum analyser looks 'busier' at the bottom end with most music.

ok, thanks all.
Just learning this PC stuff but you've put my mind at rest.:)
I'll be havin a minidsp thing to use as an active crossover just now so I can get to grips with measurements then.:)

advertisement

Back