advertisement

Is RAID mirroring on a 2HD NAS worthwhile?

You'd go for two Single Disk Volumes - to be sure physically add them 1 a time and test. Avoid JBOD and RAID0.

Assume it'll work OK - I've never deployed a HS and I'm partial to RAID configs, it runs same QTS 4 as others so should be fine.

Yesterday i finished rebuilding my QNAP TS-251+ (8GB version) with 2 x 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D SSDs.

Installed one disk at a time and it worked!!... now both disks operate as two independent drives and locations:
Inserted and setup Disk 1 as a 'static volume' called: 'Disk 1 - Media' (system).
All apps are installed here including, RoonServer, Roon database, PLEX, and Asset UPNP.
2 shared folder created called: 'Film' and 'Photos'. These are accessible via WiFi as secured and mapped drives on my laptop to allow 'drag and drop'.

Then once built and the above completed:
Inserted and setup Disk 2 as a 'static volume' called: 'Disk 2 - Music'.
This is used purely for FLAC file location and storage, no apps or databases installed.
1 shared folder created called: 'Music'. This is accessible via WiFi as a secured mapped drive on my laptop to allow 'drag and drop'.

Beautifully clean and simple build, it worked perfectly. @Amber Audio Thank you! :)

Connections from the NAS to the system are:
Ethernet out to the amps builtin streamer for Asset UPNP via a switch.
USB out to the amps build in DAC for roonserver/player direct from NAS.
The NAS sits 1m away from the amp and is totally silent, even though it does have a fan.
Granted when roon was building its database the fan ramped up from 1000rpm to 1800rpm and was audible for a few mins/occasions, but once built it slows down again.
I see the fan as a 'bonus protection layer'.. my amp has 3 silent fans anyhow.
I use 2 x (identical) Toshiba 2TB USB HDD's as a 'hard back-up' for each drive. These are kept in a safe place away from the system.

Last edited:
My main network hub is in our garage roof. It used to be in the loft of the house, but I did worry about how warm it was up there. No such issues in the garage roof though, I have not seen anything get above 40oC up there.

007S8ZIlgy1ggu1q7e0caj30hs0dcgoo.jpg

Yeah my media server sits next to the main network up in the garage but its on a very large dell workstation and is noisy AF! Although personally I would never want the server if it has spinning disks in it, near the hifi, but appreciate its not always practical to have it elsewhere

Yesterday i finished rebuilding my QNAP TS-251+ (8GB version) with 2 x 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D SSDs.

Installed one disk at a time and it worked!!... now both disks operate as two independent drives and locations:
Inserted and setup Disk 1 as a 'static volume' called: 'Disk 1 - Media' (system).
All apps are installed here including, RoonServer, Roon database, PLEX, and Asset UPNP.
2 shared folder created called: 'Film' and 'Photos'. These are accessible via WiFi as secured and mapped drives on my laptop to allow 'drag and drop'.

Then once built and the above completed:
Inserted and setup Disk 2 as a 'static volume' called: 'Disk 2 - Music'.
This is used purely for FLAC file location and storage, no apps or databases installed.
1 shared folder created called: 'Music'. This is accessible via WiFi as a secured mapped drive on my laptop to allow 'drag and drop'.

Beautifully clean and simple build, it worked perfectly. @Amber Audio Thank you! :)

Connections from the NAS to the system are:
Ethernet out to the amps builtin streamer for Asset UPNP via a switch.
USB out to the amps build in DAC for roonserver/player direct from NAS.
The NAS sits 1m away from the amp and is totally silent, even though it does have a fan.
Granted when roon was building its database the fan ramped up from 1000rpm to 1800rpm and was audible for a few mins/occasions, but once built it slows down again.
I see the fan as a 'bonus protection layer'.. my amp has 3 silent fans anyhow.
I use 2 x (identical) Toshiba 2TB USB HDD's as a 'hard back-up' for each drive. These are kept in a safe place away from the system.
Nice to hear it all went well, sounds a cracking system, I've not managed to hear Audionet yet, I do like ProAc and am looking at changing my 115, you had SM100 at some point I think? Fancy grabbing some DB1's when I see a pair on eBay or ex dem.

This could turn into a show me your Cab and I'll show you my NAS thread if not careful.

Thanks again!

Yes, SM100s are really good speakers, they just couldn't take the DNA 2.0's extra power. They were a perfect match for the Audionet DNA 1, Devialet D220 Pro CI and Naim SuperUniti which preceded.

advertisement

Back