advertisement

Is Naim Uniti Star HDMI

Fudgemaster

pfm Member
Merely conjecture at the moment, but when we get a new telly I would want to use the HDMI connection of my Uniti Star, but don't know whether it's just plain ARC of eARC. Does anyone use this facility, please, and are there any potential problems lurking? We will be streaming Netflix and others, occasionally, but mainly Freeview and Freesat.
I just want to get the best sound available to me, and hopefully it will be an improvement on my current RCA outlet from the Panny plasma.

Most TVs have a digital out, You can use that. Usually it's surprisingly good.

Thanks, Simon, my telly also has an optical out, but I haven't tried it, as my previous setups didn't have digital inputs, and when I got my Star I just set the things up as before. My Panny Bluray recorder now uses my long optical cable, so some swapping may be in order. My old telly has four HDMI sockets, but haven't found one which works with ARC, perhaps I'll give it another go.
My main query is whether my Star HDMI capability is just basic ARC, as I suspect, or eARC capable?
We will only be using stereo, no multichannel, and not at high levels, just best quality with clear speech.

The telly should have one hdmi socket marked as the ARC one. It is often HDMI 2, it is on my 2 Panasonics.

My guess is vanilla HDMI only on the Uniti.

According to the manual, none of the HDMI sockets are outputs, they're all inputs. The telly was bought 2009, so must be pre-ARC? I'll check with my dealer, but I also expect it to be basic HDMI, which, tbh, will probably be sufficient as I don't play games, and am unlikely to get 8k.
I'll see what the situation is when I have to get a new telly.
A review of a new McIntosh amp, which now has HDMI, said how much better tv and Bluray etc sound using HDMI rather than optical or RCA, started me wondering..

advertisement

Back