Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my Bel Canto Evo amp "direct coupled"?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

I have tried googling this and also looking in the manual.
    Unfortunately I don't even know what "direct coupled" means. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it means and whether my amp is DC?

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I think it's a bit of marketing nonsense TBH. If it's a transistor amp then "DC" may well mean "connected directly to the transistors". Er yes, well they all are. I suppose you could argue that some amps use DC blocking capacitors on the outputs so they could be described as "capacitor coupled", but AFAIAC this is a "so what" feature, there's nothing to suggest either way fundamentally sounds better. Valve amps use higher internal voltages so they need output transformers, so none of them are DC.

3. Puffin

Puffin pfm Member

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Ooh, interesting. It does actually have a meaning!