advertisement

Is it worth to get a turntable?

You can't really lose with a used Rega. Buy at the "right" price, and you will get most of all of your money back if you decide it's not for you, or upgrade.

The LP format defines the whole 'album' concept. I'd argue that the 20 mins is the ideal length. The CD is too long to concentrate for most people.
Agree if for LPs you meant 40 min total or 20 min a side šŸ§

Twenty quality minutes can make for a powerful EP that can also sound as good as vinyl can ever sound šŸ˜Š

The whole vinyl LP package of music, cover art, a clear side A and B playlist, printed inners, posters, lyric sheets, gimmick sleeves etc etc became as important as the music itself. It is a complete coherent whole and music as art is massively diminished by being served up as a shitty little digital image on a streaming device. The LP record is a design classic. The perfect container to market so many genres of music. Every time we try to replace it folk just go back to it as it is such an important part of the art. It is no surprise to me some folk without hi-fi just buy vinyl for the cover art and collectability and listen via their phone and headphones. Iā€™ve no issue with that. They get it IMHO. They understand the art it represents.
I love vinyl but have never particularly cared about album accessories like posters etc. Spending time hunting down perfect complete packages is not for me (although Iā€™ll snap them up if I come across them by chance at an affordable price). I buy for the music & because I see vinyl & vinyl playback as hugely more enduring than digital that will always rely on the vagaries of electronic reproduction.

Ā£400 will certainly land a nice Planar 3, TD-150, TD-160 and many other really nice decks.
Great value decks. I had a Rega 3 and had a lot of enjoyment with it. I sold it on for more than I paid for it new. I now have a 160 Super but these have gone up in value recently. I would also consider the Systemdek if you can find one in good condition.

Economically it makes little sense. However, as a TT owner, one who has spent a small fortune upgrading my ancient LP12 I would say go for it. You should be able to get a good secondhand Rega for your budget or maybe if you stretch it a bit one of the green Rega TT, which are basically TT with cosmetic damage but otherwise fine.

The 78 was really just a very large heavy fragile 7ā€ single without a picture sleeve. I donā€™t think it was ever important to the art-form in the way the vinyl album was. The whole vinyl LP package of music, cover art, a clear side A and B playlist, printed inners, posters, lyric sheets, gimmick sleeves etc etc became as important as the music itself. It is a complete coherent whole and music as art is massively diminished by being served up as a shitty little digital image on a streaming device. The LP record is a design classic. The perfect container to market so many genres of music. Every time we try to replace it folk just go back to it as it is such an important part of the art. It is no surprise to me some folk without hi-fi just buy vinyl for the cover art and collectability and listen via their phone and headphones. Iā€™ve no issue with that. They get it IMHO. They understand the art it represents.
78 rpm records sound pretty nice if you only use thorn needles for replay, steel needle's destroy the music, makes music sounds steely, imho.

Agreed. The Myst is a great amp with a really good phono stage, a contender for best 1980s UK integrated, the Falcons will be superb (not heard them, but I have a pair of their LS3/5As and use their drivers in my 149s). Stick a nice tidy RB300-era Planar 3 with a decent MM cart up front of that system and it will sound seriously good assuming it is placed somewhere relatively sensible (e.g. an Ikea Lack or Rega wallshelf). A Planar 3 can sound superb IME.
The Myst is the best British 80s integrated that I have owned.
It's quite small but drives speakers with heavy loads.
Waay better than the Nait 2 that it replaced.
The intention of the original post is not to go into a turntable upgrade journey.
I'm simply looking to gather a small collection of my favourite albums in vinyl, mostly jazz funk (Azymuth, Gill Scott Heron, Grant Green)

Went through a ā€œ Iā€™m getting a turntable ā€œ phase couple of years ago ā€¦.. sold it and back on streaming now . Too much of a bloody faff

The Myst is the best British 80s integrated that I have owned.
It's quite small but drives speakers with heavy loads.
Waay better than the Nait 2 that it replaced.
The intention of the original post is not to go into a turntable upgrade journey.
I'm simply looking to gather a small collection of my favourite albums in vinyl, mostly jazz funk (Azymuth, Gill Scott Heron, Grant Green)
A Rega Green Grade is more than enough for that.

What I most like about vinyl is that it makes me stop and listen to the music. The act of fetching a record, un-sleeving it, possibly cleaning it with a brush, placing the stylus on the record etc. encourages me to simply sit and listen. And, of course, you have to be ready for the end of the record and lifting the stylus free and turning the record over etc. hence hard to go too far away from the listening position. Quite often when I stream music it becomes background music to doing something else or perhaps the ease of streaming means that I don't 'stop and listen' as much as when I've made the effort to put a record on. So vinyl may give you the opportunity to relax more (quite a valuable thing in today's 'always on' society)...

The only streaming I've come into contact with is from my nose; unfortunately frequently because of an allergy.

Vinyl is and always has been part of my life's music transcription (55 + years); it even preceded quality FM stereo via tuner, but only by about 5 years. The only adjunct since is CD, and I wait 20 years for that!

The complexities, needs and cost per quality ratio of vinyl if starting again would only be worth considering if an existing collection came my way. New LPs are very expensive and are, from received wisdom, of uncertain quality, both pressing-wise and sonically. Whereas the days of charity etc. shop vinyl finds are long gone, CDs are now cheap as chips and quality hardware is prolific on the used market as well as new and simply doesn't need the expertise and 'faff' (as Dayvan cowboy called it above) of a vinyl front end.

I know nothing about streaming but I imagine this is not cost free; does one record these 'streams' for later reference, I wonder? The cheapest music is via radio (= costs nothing), and FM R3 can be up there in s.q. with other sources, but your only choice is what is scheduled.

78 rpm records sound pretty nice if you only use thorn needles for replay, steel needle's destroy the music, makes music sounds steely, imho.

I use an Ortofon 2m ā€˜78 cartridge and play with my Technics 1200 G
It sounds better than I thought possible.
(previously used a 78ā€™ rpm stylus with my Hacker Cavalier record player)

I am in a very similar position to the OP. The bulk of my records have gone missing and I am down to say 30 / 40.
As a result I resurrected my old Thorens TD150 Rather than buy the better TT that I always wanted.

My CD player is a not shabby Sony CDP 338esd.

All I can say is with a Shure M75 cartridge feeding into a DPA 50S phono stage, the record player doesnā€™t lose out in comparison.

So I would say to the OP go for it.

The only current disadvantage that I can see is the cost of LPs compared with CDs especially at Ā£1 each or even 5 for Ā£1 from the charity shops.

Agree if for LPs you meant 40 min total or 20 min a side šŸ§

Twenty quality minutes can make for a powerful EP that can also sound as good as vinyl can ever sound šŸ˜Š

Alas, 20mins per side doesn't alway easily work for 'classical' music items. The result can be having to change side/LP as you listen though a work. Can also mean trying to fit far more than 30 mins on a side - with the climaxes near the end-of-side where the geometric problems are at their worst!

IIUC some Beatles singles were released by EMI India on 78s. I think they were also vinyl! Never seen or heard one, though, only comments to say this happened.

I think some V-Discs were also similar. But again I've never seen an actual V-Disc. Only ever got their content via files or re-issues on CD.

I know nothing about streaming but I imagine this is not cost free; does one record these 'streams' for later reference, I wonder? The cheapest music is via radio (= costs nothing), and FM R3 can be up there in s.q. with other sources, but your only choice is what is scheduled.

Well, you can use get-iplayer (gip) or download a podcast version. If we are considering methods, you can also gip videos of concerts on TV or use a system to record from DVB. Useful for Proms or programmes on BBC TV on specific music / musicians.

IIUC some Beatles singles were released by EMI India on 78s. I think they were also vinyl! Never seen or heard one, though, only comments to say this happened.
Very interesting Jim. The suggestion seems to be that 78s remained popular in India through the 1960s because a lot of people still relied on wind-up gramophones.

advertisement

Back