advertisement

Is It Safe To Sell Home Made Electronics?

I'm posting this here as I didn't want to hijack the original DIY Geddon thread.

Originally posted by Sid and Coke
I'm going to try and find a bit of time to have another listen to the geddon and if it doesn't do anything significant over my Linn Basik ( currently in use) or Valhalla PSU's then it will be getting flogged or 'In the loft'.
This raises an interesting conundrum. Is it safe to sell home made electronics, especially where mains is involved? If the person that bought it had any problems at all, or worse, killed themselves installing it :eek: would the family have recourse to a claim against you even if you sold it with absolutely no guarantees whatsoever?

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't. I'm just asking the question.

Mick

I would think that the injured party may well have a claim against the seller. Good point considering how much stuff is changing hands these days.

There are too many grey areas. I was recently involved in an auction where the modules were professionally built but were put together by an amateur builder[ no disrespect[]. If the shit hits the fan you could end up spending a lot of time/money sorting it all out. It just ain't worth the hassle for the bit of savings. Avoid the courts at all costs.

Paul

That's an excellent question.
IMHO, IANAL, etc. I would say no.
I'd guess that considerations would include: (a) things have to meet BS whatever standard, and (b) you'd need insurance backup, (c) how would you feel if somebody's toddler got zapped because you soldered a dry joint?
Shame all I can think of are the negatives, but theyere y'go.

Is It Safe To Sell Home Made Electronics?

To avoid any legal issues it is safer to sell the item as a kit of parts/ used parts... of course you can say it's currently built up as whatever.
I find it scary that people are selling DIY projects ,without taking the responsibility that registered companies have to take.

Excellent Q Mick,
I have often thought the same thing myself, in fact TBPH the only thing that has held me back from trying to sell it, or something similar in the past is the thought of how to word the reciept disclaimer. If it is a concern to anybody I do actually value the lives of myself, my wife and 3 children, plus the dog and two cats who all are exposed to the effects of any dry joints from my DIY efforts.

I suppose i should also say that I am a Qualified Electrician, albeit an Aircraft Electrician. See the next time you look up into the sky at that Commercial airliner that is Cruising at 30,000 feet and well withing gliding distance of your house , I might well have just soldered a new wire into the primary flt control system on the previous night shift. Scary eh ?

I always have a philosophy of asking questions if i'm not sure, measuring thrice and cuting once and always, always errring on the side of caution if I'm not sure. The Aircraft that i work on flies over my house several times per day and always at critical stages of the flight , eg Climb and decent often whilst we're all tucked up in bed asleep .

I've actually had several enquiries via PM when i mentioned several months ago that i might ditch the Geddon, from persons who would be interested in buying it. Ultimately i think it will be going into the loft or Broken for spares, 'just in case'. I also had a bit of a dilema when it came to putting a few pictures onto my bit Webspace. I've been close to cutting all the DIY mains type projects altogether, due to the compensation culture world we live in now, i suppose it would only take one clown to fry themselves, Hmmmm..... now theres a thought....

I'm well aware of the fact that this was a general enquiry to the board in general, i'm just as interested to see the answers as it develops. Maybe some of the 'Pro' builders would like to air their views , Les W , Andy W, etc..

Edited to add:

I was just having a look through my pictures and checking my links worked ( i very rarely post and assume), when i zoomed in on this one I said NO BITING ! It shows my Geddons external wiring arrangements and the rheostat adjustment knob. The main issue though is just how dangerous mains leads can be. I had left my UKD Kemp Lo-Power IEC lead lying about when my dog was a puppy, luckily i don't think it was plugged in at the time but you can clearly see where he was testing his little meggys. If in doubt unplug it or at least turn it off !

advertisement

Back