advertisement

Is it just me or do you think Vinyl sounds better after a couple of side ?

Miss Ariel

pfm Member
I have often thought this with all my past cartridges.
Maybe I imagine it but after 2 sides it really sounds just right.
What do you guys think is it just the stylus warming up ?
I remember years ago that some people used to put a lamp near their cartridge.
Your thoughts most welcome.

I always have a lamp, but it's so I can see what I'm doing, check the stylus, etc.

For a lamp to actually "warm up" up a stylus would take one hell of a lamp. What warms it up in practice is the equivalent pressure of a double decker bus weighing on a nail.

My guess would be you are adjusting rather than the replay. After all, two speakers producing a realistic soundstage is an illusion, so there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief going on and if it take you 40 mins to really get in the groove (so to speak) then that wouldn't be surprising.

I find that the first side I listen to, I am disturbed by the noise and clicks, After a couple of sides I ignore them. Having quiet digital music about, your mind has to change gear.

I have often thought this with all my past cartridges.
Maybe I imagine it but after 2 sides it really sounds just right.
What do you guys think is it just the stylus warming up ?
I remember years ago that some people used to put a lamp near their cartridge.
Your thoughts most welcome.

I'm the same. My house is generally cold and damp (being in Scotland and very old) and i think this has a bearing, but something runs in. The sound starts with some harshness, a bit cold and warms up and smoothes out after 20 mins or so. I doubt it's the solid stae class A/B amp and the deck itself is stable from word go so?

I've always thought cartridges, and speaker for that matter, loosen up a bit with playing..... takes about the same time to come on song as it does for the vacuum tubes to warm up and settle down.

I could be imagining all this of course :)

could be. what cartridge do you have? I have never felt that my MC carts need to loosen up, but maybe a stiff Grado MM might sound better after two or three songs.

I'd never have believed it, but visiting my "dealer" to decide on what to do next with my LP12 I heard it clearly with different arm/cartridge combos. The effect was noticeable after one or two tracks. I can only guess that a really resolving set up will show this, also that when listening while weighing up whether or not to spend focusses the brain!

The effect was noticeable after one or two tracks.

One or two TRACKS is more like it. All cart's I've had sound a bit tight for a few minutes; stands to reason that the suspension, canti etc., just like most other things (incl. the car) need to get going from cold. I have no idea why it should take SIDES with a run-in cart. The stylus is about the only part which would perform straightaway if allowed by all before it, i.m.o.

1725-B1-BF-AD89-4574-B9-CB-604036-F03-C04.jpg
I find two or three tracks get cantilever warm? Or maybe it’s sum effect of system warming thru?
For the foo inclined many Japanese view cart as benefitting fro pre warming.
To this end You can buy cartridge warming accessories, not cheap iether.

advertisement

Back