advertisement

Is it a step up swapping from DB1+ to PMC TB2+ ?

nel-son-pass

Hi Folks,
during my hobby years I tried minimum 30 pairs of speakers. Maybe because I am getting older, I found the smallest of them the PMC DB1+ best. They cannot handle loud punchy volumes but for low/mid listenning levels I found them great, mellow and detailed. They in fact play much bigger than you expect from their dimensions.

So my question: would be the next bigger brother TB2+ a significant step up ? Would be glad to read something from PMC owners. Thanks

I went from the DB1+ to TB2S+.

The sound is of course a similar PMC house sound, but on a larger scale. The bass has more depth, which meant I sold off my unecessary subwoofer. They also play louder due to the 90 db sensitivity. Which means even a 30w per channel amp fills a large room with high levels, at only 1/4 on the volume dial. The rest is fairly similar. Although you will need some hefty stands to make the most of them. I have custom PMC studio stands.

I've also owned lots of different speakers (Dynaudio Focus, Wilson Benesh, AVI, AE) plus other PMC too (IB2, AML1). My PMC TB2s+ are going nowhere.

ps

If you like the studio finish as I do (looks far more serious than old fashioned wood veneer to me), then check out the pro audio retailers. I got a huge discount off the RRP from an authorised dealer.

I have a set of DB1+ and a set of FB1i's -

I would stick with the dinky boxes - if you want more bass - add an active subwoofer.

Maybe also move them around - bi-wire them - have a play...

The smaller DB with a sub will have more low end impact than the TB on their own. However for normal music listening, rather than movie explosions, the TB on proper stands has more than enough extension all by themselves.

Personally I like a clean space, so not having a sub with the cables is a bonus if I can get away with it. Also I find subs seemed to act like a dust ball generators, creating endless fluff.

In my situation I have a simple system in one room just for music. The AV kit is elsewhere.

Thank you guys,
a sub is generally not a subject for me, especially we have here transmissionline concepts. Very deep low end is not a must have. I just wanted a more punchy performance with lesser compression at louder levels. Up to midle levels I regard the these little DB1+ just fantastic. Reading your descriptions the TB2(S)+ seems to be a step up by keeping the sound signature of the DB1+.

I also listened at home in the past to the TB2 follower Twenty 22. Not want to make them bad but newer must not mean better.

So next step: where to purchase a good pair of used TB2+ or TB2S+ ? Any ideas ? I sadly cannot open a "wanted" thread here because of not enough postings. And the pro audio retailers still sell them new or used ?

Aaahh by the way: I am living in germany.

I just did a Google search and bought mine new. Sometimes there are good deals out there. Or try a search engine such as hifishark.com which searches 200 sources for you :)

If you were in the UK I'd have welcomed you to listen to mine in comparison.

The TB2+ have greater bass extension and are also easier to drive. PMC's do like quite a bit of amplifier power to run them at their best. Before getting rid of the DB1+ it may be worth checking that your amplifier is up to it as you did mention they seem to be running out of steam. I can recommend the TB2+. I have the active version in my studio.

Regarding the amp I think I have the right one for the small DB1+. Meanwhile a 110w/pChannel/8Ohm Roksan drives them easily to alive performance. You are right these minis need just more than some handful current

I just sold an AVI Lab amp which can make daft power (480w per channel into low loads) and replaced it is a 30w per channel Rega. Both run the PMC TB2S+ perfectly well. The only difference is how much was left in reserve. Our medium to large room is filled with loud music at only 1/4 on the volume dial with my small Rega amp. Large power amps with this 90db efficiency are a waste of time.

We demo'ed a pair of DB1i on the end of a Naim 72/hicap/140 (all recently serviced)
The DBi1 was absolutely lovely up to normal civilised volumes.

However my relative occasionally likes to turn the wick right up to very loud levels and the DB1i isn't ideal for this.

So we tried the TB2i, loved them and he ordered them straight away. A clear family resemblance but with deeper bass and able to louder.

I have subsequently bought a pair of DB1i for use with a Naim DAC-V1 and the same NAP140, and think that they are wonderful communicators of the essence of music, especially human voices.

So in summary, our family really likes both of them, but the TB2i goes much louder before suffering.

Hope this helps, FT

Here you can see that a fault amplification can judge over win or loss.

For my DB1+ I connected in the beginning the weaker Naim Nait 5 (2 x 30 W). The speakers sounded also in low listenning levels tired/nearly dead. I was nearly before to sell the speakers. Then a quick blind purchase: the more powerful Roksan Kandy MK III.
Connected to the Roksan the PMCs got light, power and life.

I just sold an AVI Lab amp which can make daft power (480w per channel into low loads) and replaced it is a 30w per channel Rega. Both run the PMC TB2S+ perfectly well. The only difference is how much was left in reserve. Our medium to large room is filled with loud music at only 1/4 on the volume dial with my small Rega amp. Large power amps with this 90db efficiency are a waste of time.
I am really surprised about your good experience with the Rega. As I mentioned above: go for power man ! And I heard from another dealer that Roksan is generally good match for PMCs.

In the past I listenned to the Rega Mira (?) with Cabasse Speakers. They sounded warm/sweet but I could not identify instruments separation. Quickly sold them.

I had some db1is very nice speakers but do require a bit of grunt to get them singing but do sound perfectly acceptable with lower power but not quite in the "window ".
The tbs are a lot easier to drive and would be an improvement imo

advertisement

Back