advertisement

Is Cameron Even More Barmy Than Osborne?

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
If anyone had any lingering doubts that the present administration has based its entire political stance on relentless scapegoating of its victims, surely Cameron's speech today will resolve them.

In case anyone doesn't know, he proposed to remove benefit entitlement from under 25s who are NEET.

Not such a bad idea if you believe his rubbish about this being a deliberate choice for young people.

But of course we all know that the majority of under 25s would kill for a decent job, apprenticeship, or other opportunity to access a longer term future..

Away from the (pretty ineffective) rabble rousing of the actual speech, the likes of Gove and Maude were muttering about 'helping these young people into a future blah blah'. Maude, interviewed by Paxton clearly had no clue WTF he was talking about and pretty much single handedly demonstrated the 'fag packet' nature of this 'policy'.

Gove of course completely forgot that it was he who:

1. Decimated support/careers guidance/work placement services for young people.
2. Withdrew EMA, which allowed lots of poorer young people to attend full time post 16 education.
3. Along with others, has consistently lied about the number of apprenticeships created. (The bulk are simnply redesignated 'work based learning' opportunities which have no substance until an employer deigns to participate)

Still, I suppose Cam upped his approval factor with the baying mob of blue rinses and those even more disturbing young Tories with barely broken voices who, instead of trying to act like grown ups at conference, really ought to be out somewhere misbehaving or waving a placard.

Mull

On the bbc news, at the end of cam's speech, there was one bloke sat down, not clapping and looking as miserable as could be - who was this insightful character?

It was Edward Samuel Miliband who had realised the he could, without, too much trouble be drinking from Camaron's poisoned challace in a few years time.

Is that the same challace given to Camaron by Brown?

"Pass the poison challace" is a pretty good description of UK politics right now.

Gove of course completely forgot that it was he who:

1. Decimated support/careers guidance/work placement services for young people.
2. Withdrew EMA, which allowed lots of poorer young people to attend full time post 16 education.
3. Along with others, has consistently lied about the number of apprenticeships created. (The bulk are simnply redesignated 'work based learning' opportunities which have no substance until an employer deigns to participate)

And let's not forget please that to enter university now, you need to fork out 9K a year! So all in all for an MA, you will start in life with at least 20K worth of debts...

Here is a real incentive to 'wake up to the harsh reality of life' according to DC.

And let's not forget please that to enter university now, you need to fork out 9K a year! So all in all for an MA, you will start in life with at least 20K worth of debts...

Here is a real incentive to 'wake up to the harsh reality of life' according to DC.

Not necessarily. My advice to anyone would be to start saving hard when your kids are born. That's what I did.

Both of mine came out of University debt free. When the first one went to Glasgow, we bought a 3 bedroom flat & kept it for the 7 years it took for both of them to get through the degree courses. For the first 2 years, we were able to rent out 2 of the bedrooms to 2 of their fellow students, when the other one started, one of the other students was turfed out to make way for daughter number 2, and for the final 2 years, we could rent out both again.

Then we flogged the flat for a very tidy profit.

When my first daughter returned to University to take a law degree, she was able largely to finance the endeavour herself.

Chris

Of course but that's assuming you can save up some money.
Not everyone has this luxury nowadays to be fair...

True, some sacrifice was involved, especially in the early years. No foreign holidays, no hi fi upgrades. Keeping the cars for 10 years instead of 4, nothing which hugely impacted. our lives.

But the biggest factor was becoming a dirty subby bastard & chasing the £££s in some of the world's less savoury shitholes:):).

Chris

Doesn't work out so well for kids whose parents can't afford to save to pay for their tuition & accommodation. They leave college saddled with £20-30K debt. They might even have met their future spouse, similarly saddled with debt. If lucky, they start work, try to pay for somewhere to live, start paying off their student loan. They may even have children. And they are supposed to be saving as well?

I agree with the advice to start saving, I'm just pointing out that currently (without the support of the bank of Mum & Dad) that is likely to be somewhat difficult.

I've not really been following this issue / thread, but the thing I don't understand with the proposed Tory policy to force NEETs into training / force the long term unemployed to stay in Job Centres all day every day is who the hell is going to foot the bill? The former will require a massive expansion of state training / education facilities, the latter a massive expansion of Job Centre real-estate and staff to cope with such a huge number of people hanging around from 9-5. The whole thing strikes me as utterly dumb. Surely the most cost-effective position in a flat marketplace is to pay the unemployed / unneeded labour to stay at home. Victimising them serves no purpose beyond the odd idiotic political soundbite and will only increase the costs to the tax payer / national debt.

Doesn't work out so well for kids whose parents can't afford to save to pay for their tuition & accommodation. They leave college saddled with £20-30K debt. They might even have met their future spouse, similarly saddled with debt. If lucky, they start work, try to pay for somewhere to live, start paying off their student loan. They may even have children. And they are supposed to be saving as well?

I agree with the advice to start saving, I'm just pointing out that currently (without the support of the bank of Mum & Dad) that is likely to be somewhat difficult.

Absolutely. It is a lot harder now, I'm sure.

But honestly, can you think of a better thing to spend your money on? I can't.

Chris

Its worse than that. My youngest has just started Uni in London and the accommodation provided by Uni but owned and managed by Unite cost a few quid under £8K pa! Its in Southwark and within walking distance of the colleges.

The student loan and grant is not enough to live on after taking out the accommodation cost and I will be having to supplement by £3-4K pa.

Cheers,

DV

Here's my favourite part of Cameron's speech

"So it makes no difference whether you live in the North or in the South, whether you’re black or you’re white, a man or a woman, the school you went to, the background you have, who your parents were…
"

Here's my favourite part of Cameron's speech

"So it makes no difference whether you live in the North or in the South, whether you’re black or you’re white, a man or a woman, the school you went to, the background you have, who your parents were…
"

When I read that sort of thing, and the Daily Mail's Miliband hate-fest, it make me think maybe the Tories know they're doomed and are just having a laugh.

I've not really been following this issue / thread, but the thing I don't understand with the proposed Tory policy to force NEETs into training / force the long term unemployed to stay in Job Centres all day every day is who the hell is going to foot the bill? The former will require a massive expansion of state training / education facilities, the latter a massive expansion of Job Centre real-estate and staff to cope with such a huge number of people hanging around from 9-5. The whole thing strikes me as utterly dumb. Surely the most cost-effective position in a flat marketplace is to pay the unemployed / unneeded labour to stay at home. Victimising them serves no purpose beyond the odd idiotic political soundbite and will only increase the costs to the tax payer / national debt.

Especially when DC and GO pledge to reduce the deficit by any means by the end of the actual parliament...:confused:
Why spend so much money on 'thin air' schemes with no guaranteed results in any European countries...

advertisement

Back