advertisement

Is Brio-R the new Nait Two?

PerF, am I rude to think your formally known as Per Flemming?

I was at Andy's last weekend, with NACA5 to hand, but looking at his Katans, they were bi-wired, and not the simple job it appeared, oh well, the music was playing………….

….but it wasn't, I couldn't put my finger on it, but I wasn't enjoying it as much as usual.
I haven't got 'golden ears' takes me all my effort to detect a change of cartridge, but I know when its not right.

Tea and cake were consumed(always a warm welcome:) ) ….it was getting late the small Quake Sub was switched off.
Wow , is all I can say, the pace, and speed of the music had returned. All that PRAT thats talked about with Naim had come into focus, and the music was all the better for it.:)
It does show, more is not always better.

I may be asking for system upset, but the Nait2's coming here tomorrow.
I'm hoping for a false sense of pace, and timing, and (if my neighbours out) run out of steam compared to my A102, mono 110's, but I'll try to be honest as I can;-)

Mark

From what I read about the Brio-R I get the impression that -in the right system and properly set up (soldered cables and all, like for Naim)- it is quite a punchy amp and not laid back at all. I think 'll try a home demo.

Regards, Klyde

Looking forward to your findings with the Brio-R, Klyde! :)
(make sure you don't get a brandnew one to try)

The Rega Brio-R is very sensitive to what cables are used but in the right combination (as I now finally found out) it's not a laid-back sounding amp.
It's now full of energy, sounding agile, open and full of detail. Bass is not very deep but very tight, and music is presented in a lovely 3D soundstage.

best regards,
Alco

Ï have tried my Brio-R with both full Rega cabling (Klotz/SC42) & Chord cabling (several)
All factory soldered

Should I purchase from scratch I'd just take the full Rega solution maybe with the exception of their speakers(RS1+RS3 are fine but not exceptionel)

I'd wish Roy would reveal some special and very good 2-way stand mounts, I really do not like the RS5/7 design

I am loving my recently aquired Brio-R (from ThELIz). As I type this, it's warming through (on newly aquired IKEA LACK coffee table, £14 quid FFS !!!) with some low volume stuff as the mrs and daughter are in the land of nod.

I first became aware of the Brio a couple of months ago when I decided I wanted to dig out my separates from the garage and experience a proper stereo soundstage again. Think I must have picked up the dreaded What Hi Fi and seen its 5 stars. Since then I borrowed one for home demo and was able to give it a good workout (nearly took my head off when I first sent some signal through it :eek:)

Mine is feeding some 10yr old KEF Q3s, fed by an Arcam drDock and a 19 yr old Pioneer PD-S801 (the latter only because my Arcam CD73 emerged for forced exile in the garage looking very tidy but not wishing to power-up :rolleyes:, forgotten how good the Pio was TBH). Cables are vdh (int) and Chord Silverscreen (spkr) and I BLOODY LOVE IT !

As Alco said, the 3D images coming out of the Brio-R are insanely good, the Brio has got some serious grunt too.

I've never heard a Nait 2 (sorry) but the Rega Brio-R is bloody marvellous.

Glad to read the Brio-R really did it for you, Gomers! :)

To me a Nait 2 is very special but the Brio-R is getting close and doesn't suffer from the early Nait drawbacks.

Being:

1. channel imbalance at low volume levels.
2. way too sensitive volume knob (with digital sources that is. Not with TT)
3. only 15w power and therefor less choice in matching speakers
4. The 'need' to use it with Naim's own very stiff Naca5 speakercable.
5. last but not least imho... no remote to adjust volume.

Now...I'm tempted to say this...;)
worth-1.gif

From what I read about the Brio-R I get the impression that -in the right system and properly set up (soldered cables and all, like for Naim)- it is quite a punchy amp and not laid back at all. I think 'll try a home demo
Just curious Klyde,...have you auditioned the Brio-R yet ?

Just curious Klyde,...have you auditioned the Brio-R yet ?

No, sorry, haven't had the time yet. AAMOF I can hardly find time to listen to music these days. Just the one odd record per day. Will let you know.

Cheers,

Klyde

i heard the Nait - 2 today, and ... well, the Nait-2 is the Nait-2. Bloody marvelous machine. Flawed, but marvelous. Seems to have a vinyl like driving quality to it.

What did you hear it with Maverick, speakers and front end? I love mine, it does often make me want to throw my other Naim amps away.... but not always.

advertisement

Back