advertisement

Is Brio-R the new Nait Two?

Klyde

pfm Member
If it's not, why not? If it is, what could be the implications for the price of second hand Naits? Could I sell my 20 year old Nait Two for 500 euro and buy a brand new Brio-R for 600? Is Brio-R better than say NVA's AP20?

Just testing the waters.

Regards,

Klyde

Don't know about selling and buying, but it's something special indeed. Specially paired with the rega dac, and the rs3s, you're in heaven indeed...

Klyde, it does not matter what opinions you get, the only way for you to know is listening to one.
In the hifi world there is no general consent, only personal opinions.
Ask your ears

I think Alco did a direct comparison. And (though I may be wrong) I remember him saying the Nait 2 just edged it.

If it's not, why not? If it is, what could be the implications for the price of second hand Naits? Could I sell my 20 year old Nait Two for 500 euro and buy a brand new Brio-R for 600? Is Brio-R better than say NVA's AP20?

Just testing the waters.

Regards,

Klyde

You should wait if possible selling the Nait, prices haven't reached limit I guess

The new Rega is much more universal than a Nait 2 which will in certain areas perform better/different especial in serviced cond.
I replaced my 5i amp in secondary setup for a Brio-R, pocket the cash and was happy too, due to the little amps big organic and friendly sound, its soo easy and nice on the speakers I used, maybe not exactly a winner over 5i but a very serious but different contender
I can't imagine a much better amp for the money and personally the 5i was my fave Nait (apart from Nait2) so there you go..
This time Roy got it just right and we have exiting times ahead with new MiraElicit-R?

I think Alco did a direct comparison. And (though I may be wrong) I remember him saying the Nait 2 just edged it.
Yup,...I/it did. :) I really like the Brio-R and in some ways it reminds me of my beloved Nait 2.

What the Rega Brio-R shares with the Naim Nait 2:

- 3D soundstage, depth. (not a common Naim aspect)
- voices sound very natural.
- A certain hard to explain X-factor.
- the (imho) attractive shoe-box size.
- Sober design.
- great internal phonostage.

I'd really love the Brio-R to sonically trounce the Nait, but to me (unfortunately) it's doesn't.
It does get surprisingly close for such a modestly priced amp though.
(the current price of the Brio-R is slightly less than a Nait-2, more than 20 years ago!)

Where the Brio-R differs and lacks to trounce te Nait 2 imho, is...

- The Nait 2 sounds a little more open/transparent.
- The Nait 2 has more sparkle, better transient replay. (to me the treble of the Brio-R can sometimes be a bit too polite/carefull at times)
- Sometimes voices sound a little too distant/placed in the back.

If sonic performance is your only criteria (especially with a TT as main/only source!) I would not sell your Nait 2.
Where the Brio-R wins is:

- Better volume-pot (no more channel imbalance/too sensitive volume knob)
- More power (and therefor more choices in matching speakers)
- A remote! :) (also very sober, just source-input and volume)

regards,
Alco

Very recently i did a (short) comparison between a Nait 2 and a Rega Brio-R, and overall I agree very much with Alco. The Brio-R is by all means a very competent little amp, and great VFM. However, the Nait 2 has a certain sparkle and get-up factor that really is hard not to fall in love with, in spite of its shortcomings (limited power and channel imbalance at low volume settings).

Thom

As brilliant as the Brio R undoubtedly is for my money i still feel the nait 2 has the edge, there is a quality which is hard to put your finger on that puts the nait in the lead, that certain magic which is hard to describe but nevertheless is there.

As I've gone full circle to where it all began for me in 1986 with an original Nait, which was then replaced with several tube ( valve ) integrated amps afterwards until I then purchased a Nait 2 in December 2002 and sold it in June 2003 for $200 more then I had paid for it.

2004/2008 saw me once again going back to a Cary SEI - 300B along with several cheaper Cayin ( TA-30 and A-50T ) both EL34 based, in 2009 I returned to solid state amps with a Sonneteer Campion and loved it until mid November 2011, I found myself ready to pull the plug on an Acrolink P7-4020III power cord ( $800 ) before reality kicked it and I came to the conclusion no matter what I might throw at the Campion to my ears/heart it still wouldn't be as musical as those Nait's that I allowed to slip out of my hands.

So in December of last year my wife found a recently serviced Nait 2 which she bid upwards of $1.200 on my behalf and won it for $938 + shipping and custom fees of another $138 as it was being shipped from Vancover British Columbia, Canada.

All told - I'm never been happier in my entire life with any single amp as much as I've with this one. As I happen to rotate between it along with a CR Developments Kalypso and Audiomat Arpege 10 Reference tube ( valve ) amps depending upon mood and/or season - I'm at a place where I'm very very very content with my system on a whole.

I've borrowed a friends Rega Brio-R for a two week period and found that it's a very nice sounding unit indeed, but it's not even remotely close in regards to what I'd have to call a certain fun/wow factor that is so obviously there when listening to the same songs via the Nait 2. To my mind it merely plays notes more truthfully, with a greater sense of purpose which I've found quite addictive to say the least.

Once again, I viewed this as a home coming of sort - that merely showed me one thing " even it technology has moved on, as it should - some things in our past just aren't meant to be replaced ".

Yes, things often sound slightly different at best, but that doesn't mean it's better then something it has replaced. So be very careful here in thinking that you should sell the Nait 2 and in hindsight regret it later as I've done on two occasions.

There's nothing out there like them, and that's my heartfelt view.

Regards,
o_O scar

I'm going to bet that much of how you view either is somewhat dependent on the sources that you use.

I'm going to bet that much of how you view either is somewhat dependent on the sources that you use.

Hi Art,

True that. But as both of us are quite taken with Well Tempered Labs Turntables. In my mind Vinyl is key. As it remains my source of choice. In which case both have extremely good sounding built in phono-stages.

It's just to my ears despite the lower power rating of said Nait 2, as well as its somewhat unbalanced sound at lower levels - once it's positioned at say 9 or 10 o clock - it becomes one of those WTF moments and I'm completely satisfied and then some.

It's merely a matter of what works/sounds best with the other components in our systems as a means of voicing them to suit our preferences as individuals. In which case I'd never say there's a wrong or right. But I also base my findings on not only my own ears/senses, but by several friends that have borrowed both tho hear within the confines of their own systems and remarked that the Nait 2 was one of the best sounding little amps they've both heard to date - and that's coming from two Asian guys with very deep pockets whom happen to own some very expensive tube gear costly well over $10.000 easy.

So I view this as reassuring that I'm at that point - that I no longer wish to trade this or that sonic signature for another just for the sake of it. In short I'm very pleased and can only wish to add to my collection of Music, more cartridges and maybe a different signature in regards to a cabling loom or two that plays well with all three amps in my system accordingly.

So in regards to Source and Speakers I'm content. ( unless I'm able to swing a pair of DeVore Gibbon 3XL's - that is ) but in the end, each of us must find our own path/truth as it doesn't matter what others might add, in so much as addressing our own biases.

Be well, young man - it's always nice to see your responses to said matters as I've always looked upon them as an enlightingment.

Peace,
o_O scar

I'd say Cyrus got there first with the One, Two and Three.
Arguably still there today with the Six and Eight if you discount inbuilt phono stage.

Much more rounded and capable designs than the Nait 1&2 IMO.

Hi Art,

True that. But as both of us are quite taken with Well Tempered Labs Turntables. In my mind Vinyl is key. As it remains my source of choice. In which case both have extremely good sounding built in phono-stages.

It's just to my ears despite the lower power rating of said Nait 2, as well as its somewhat unbalanced sound at lower levels - once it's positioned at say 9 or 10 o clock - it becomes one of those WTF moments and I'm completely satisfied and then some.

It's merely a matter of what works/sounds best with the other components in our systems as a means of voicing them to suit our preferences as individuals. In which case I'd never say there's a wrong or right. But I also base my findings on not only my own ears/senses, but by several friends that have borrowed both tho hear within the confines of their own systems and remarked that the Nait 2 was one of the best sounding little amps they've both heard to date - and that's coming from two Asian guys with very deep pockets whom happen to own some very expensive tube gear costly well over $10.000 easy.

So I view this as reassuring that I'm at that point - that I no longer wish to trade this or that sonic signature for another just for the sake of it. In short I'm very pleased and can only wish to add to my collection of Music, more cartridges and maybe a different signature in regards to a cabling loom or two that plays well with all three amps in my system accordingly.

So in regards to Source and Speakers I'm content. ( unless I'm able to swing a pair of DeVore Gibbon 3XL's - that is ) but in the end, each of us must find our own path/truth as it doesn't matter what others might add, in so much as addressing our own biases.

Be well, young man - it's always nice to see your responses to said matters as I've always looked upon them as an enlightingment.

Peace,
o_O scar

I think you are right, Oscar. Especially as relates to the preference for the Nait 2. The Brio-R is a great little amp with a very nice phono stage but it will always be just a bit behind the Nait 2 in that regard. Where the Brio-R shines is with the Rega DAC. Then it is an unbeatable budget amp. As you know I love my Well Tempered and my vinyl but CD/Digital are my primary source. Peace, my friend.

BTW Oscar, I've recently switched my cables from VdH to Chord/Rega with great results.

I think you are right, Oscar. Especially as relates to the preference for the Nait 2. The Brio-R is a great little amp with a very nice phono stage but it will always be just a bit behind the Nait 2 in that regard. Where the Brio-R shines is with the Rega DAC. Then it is an unbeatable budget amp. As you know I love my Well Tempered and my vinyl but CD/Digital are my primary source. Peace, my friend.

BTW Oscar, I've recently switched my cables from VdH to Chord/Rega with great results.

Art,

As we both are of kindred spirits more so then most, I of all people understand your journey as well as your sense of priorities - and understand your passion for music no matter the format.

But as you know ( or should know ) I'm all over the place with cartridges and cables, as I own cabling looms from the likes of Crimson RM Music Link - LFD - Chord Company Crimson and Epic Twins LSC - NVA LS5 Speaker Cables along with the newer Blue Series from Wywires. You're always more then welcome to borrow anything from me, just for the asking.

As I see you as an extension of my family - if I can't trust you!, then whom can I trust?. As life would've it, I'm more then capable of reading between the lines as it related to most items as they relate to audio, and even more gifted to read the actions and/or motives behind people I encounter in everyday life. I had a member here whom thought enough of me to send me two pairs of Interconnects to try out ( Flashback Premiere Plus along with AR Sound Greenlink ) whom didn't know me from Jack, but sent them free of charge and upon expressing my wife's fondness for the AR Sound based purely upon its greenish hue - he said keep it as a gift ( free ), now I can't speak for others - but I consider this as a blessing as these cables aren't available in the states.

But I can in all honesty state for the record - here and now.........., it's one of the best sounding IC's I've ever heard. I only wish that Dale and Chris were opened minded enough to bring these along with the Wywires into their shop. I think that they would find these to have a hell of a following compared to those Auditorium 23's. Yet as the saying goes " It has to be heard, to be believed ".

I'm all over cables - power cords - tubes - isolation devices and cartridges. So if you ever have the desire to want to hear anything I own?, it's yours.

In my mind, as is in life " Family is Foever ".

And as always in parting, be well.
o_O scar

OK guys, I think I got the message. I will hang on to my Nait Two I think, because its musicalilty, get up and go, sparkle, transparancy and what have you are in a league of its own. Mine works very well with a slightly OTT front end of P9/Apheta and Nagra BPS and simple speakers. 'Bitches Brew' is a delight. If I get the chance I will listen to Brio-R. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Kind regards, Klyde

Hi Klyde,

As is always my method, I can only speak the truth on matters as I've seen/heard them with my own ears/senses. And the Nait 2 isn't a joke in the matter in which it replays the very essence within the musical notes themselves.

As far as I'm concerned!, it's only logical ( as Mr. Spock would say ). Live long and Listen to your heart. Oops!, I know he didn't put it like that - but in theory it's the same concept. Bottom line is " Enjoy it ".

Cheers,
o_O scar

My nait 2 sounds great with digital not just vinyl , you can get round the channel inbalance by setting the volume pot at 9 o'clock , then use the the remote app on the iPhone to control the volume on iTunes , my MacBook feeds a lavry da10 , as Oscar says I'm no longer looking to upgrade my amp , just trying to save for an aro to put on my technics 1210 , but I can't stop buying vinyl !

OK guys, I think I got the message. I will hang on to my Nait Two I think, because its musicalilty, get up and go, sparkle, transparancy and what have you are in a league of its own. Mine works very well with a slightly OTT front end of P9/Apheta and Nagra BPS and simple speakers. 'Bitches Brew' is a delight. If I get the chance I will listen to Brio-R. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Kind regards, Klyde

One of the best times in hi fi I ever had was with a P9/17D3 and a Nait 2. It's one of those amps that seems to revel in better front ends - especially TTs.

One of the best times in hi fi I ever had was with a P9/17D3 and a Nait 2. It's one of those amps that seems to revel in better front ends - especially TTs.

That's why I want an aro for my 1210 , with a nice high output dynavector , might have to settle for a Nima though .

advertisement

Back