advertisement

Ireland

richardg

Admonishtrator
Took a week's break, doing a craft course in Galway. I walked into a pub for a Guinness, there was horse racing on the telly, a man talking to himself in the toilets ,U2 on the jukebox. Cliche maybe. But at least it still has a strong identity and is very welcoming. Unlike where I come from, which just has the man talking to himself in the toilets. Does Ireland have it better than the rest of the British Isles?

My son lives and works there. Good job opportunities, which is what took him there, good pay, and after 5 years you get an EU residence permit which is what he wants. Almost all his friends are non-Irish, though, fellow foreigners of many nationalities. He hasn't really connected with the Irish on a social level - he finds them more "foreign" than the foreigners.

My son lives and works there. Good job opportunities, which is what took him there, good pay, and after 5 years you get an EU residence permit which is what he wants. Almost all his friends are non-Irish, though, fellow foreigners of many nationalities. He hasn't really connected with the Irish on a social level - he finds them more "foreign" than the foreigners.
What nationality are you?

Dub here. Cost of living is high - of course, where isn't it around these parts, though housing is prohibitively expensive and competitive for renters and buyers alike. Times are tough for those sub 40 - under 30 has seen a huge exodus elsewhere. Those still here will lament that friends are all now building lives elsewhere...

All that being said, it is a fine landscape and yes, our charm remains, even it may be slightly diminished. And we do a fine pint of stout. Try Beamish over Guinness...

Dub here. Cost of living is high - of course, where isn't it around these parts, though housing is prohibitively expensive and competitive for renters and buyers alike. Times are tough for those sub 40 - under 30 has seen a huge exodus elsewhere. Those still here will lament that friends are all now building lives elsewhere...

All that being said, it is a fine landscape and yes, our charm remains, even it may be slightly diminished. And we do a fine pint of stout. Try Beamish over Guinness...
I hate Beamish! Guinness always and forever. It has, however, been 25 years since I tried it. I'll get back to you.....

On my way over to Galway now. Does not look much cheaper judging by price of hotel rooms

Took a trip to Ireland last year with the Irish in-laws and loved it - especially the west and around Connemara. Just absolutely stunning.

Stopped off at the few record shops I saw but didn't see a single decent jazz LP the whole trip. I'm not sure Ireland is big into jazz.

Depending on your point of view I guess that may be a positive.

We stayed in Dublin a block down from Cathal Brugha Barracks. I've since discovered my great uncle was born there and both he and his father served in the British Army in Ireland. It's a point of great pride to my FiL that his Dad did time for aiding the IRA in the 1920s so you can imagine how that went down!

Just started reading Strumpet City which is all about life in Dublin in the early 20th century - so far not in any way sordid as the title might imply. I have always had a soft spot for Ireland thanks to several influences in my childhood (and in spite of a few Irish priests). I am enjoying the book very much, would recommend it to anyone similarly minded. A fairly hefty tome at 550 pages.

Lived there for a few years - really enjoyed it. People are lovely, countryside is beautiful, great history and pubs.

Just got back from a work trip to Ireland/Midleton , I love it there , everything was spot on - Guinness poured the way it was supposed to , Beamish is not too bad neither, food quality definitely better than around here , friendly people but couple buts- bloody weather, 4 seasons in an hour and prices

Just started reading Strumpet City which is all about life in Dublin in the early 20th century - so far not in any way sordid as the title might imply. I have always had a soft spot for Ireland thanks to several influences in my childhood (and in spite of a few Irish priests). I am enjoying the book very much, would recommend it to anyone similarly minded. A fairly hefty tome at 550 pages.
Weirdly I actually noticed that in the charity shop this afternoon but didn't investigate (I invested my £1 in a Billie Holliday biography and a couple of Hitchcock DVDs)

Lived there for a few years - really enjoyed it. People are lovely, countryside is beautiful, great history and pubs.

You should get a job with Bord Failte. Regarding the people, George Bernard Shaw was as close to the mark, the countryside-bungalows and slurry amid the beauty, if great=tragic then yes, great history,,,,, pubs-meh. I've been going four times a year for the past thirty btw.

You should get a job with Bord Failte. Regarding the people, George Bernard Shaw was as close to the mark, the countryside-bungalows and slurry amid the beauty, if great=tragic then yes, great history,,,,, pubs-meh. I've been going four times a year for the past thirty btw.

I didn't say it was perfect.

To answer @richardg's question: Overall, I'd have to say yes, we do have it a bit better than the rest of the British Isles. But it's no paradise, and we have our own domestic issues (right now, cost of housing, and healthcare) that tourists rarely see. But overall the country is peaceful and well run, which is all you can ask for, really. Better weather would be nice, but you can't have everything.

@les24preludes That's an interesting point, and it's something I've seen with people who arrive here as adults, rather than as students. We're a friendly people, but can be reluctant to form friendships. If it's any consolation, even Irish people find it hard to break in to a new social circle if they move somewhere else. We are gregarious and helpful to strangers, but getting closer than that requires a surprising amount of work. I don't know if there is one in your son's case, but a language barrier makes it harder, as the way we use English can be confusing to non-native speakers - or native speakers too! I've seen American co-workers getting thrown by things that we think have an obvious, clear meaning.
I've been on the other side of this, by the way, so I do understand: as an immigrant in another country, I found I had more in common with other foreigners, as we had a shared experience of being baffled by the native population.

@molee why keep coming back if you're so unimpressed by it all?

To answer @richardg's question: Overall, I'd have to say yes, we do have it a bit better than the rest of the British Isles. But it's no paradise, and we have our own domestic issues (right now, cost of housing, and healthcare) that tourists rarely see. But overall the country is peaceful and well run, which is all you can ask for, really. Better weather would be nice, but you can't have everything.

@les24preludes That's an interesting point, and it's something I've seen with people who arrive here as adults, rather than as students. We're a friendly people, but can be reluctant to form friendships. If it's any consolation, even Irish people find it hard to break in to a new social circle if they move somewhere else. We are gregarious and helpful to strangers, but getting closer than that requires a surprising amount of work. I don't know if there is one in your son's case, but a language barrier makes it harder, as the way we use English can be confusing to non-native speakers - or native speakers too! I've seen American co-workers getting thrown by things that we think have an obvious, clear meaning.
I've been on the other side of this, by the way, so I do understand: as an immigrant in another country, I found I had more in common with other foreigners, as we had a shared experience of being baffled by the native population.

@molee why keep coming back if you're so unimpressed by it all?
Because, apparently, its 'home'.

Being a native (ignoring the political border) and having worked all over our neighbouring islands from Shetland to Kent and IOM I think Ireland is my favorite place, from Malin head to Mizen head, but on a whole I prefer small rural communities and generally not so fussed on cities.
For beer and especially stout it's always best to drink what has travelled less, Guiness in Dublin, Murphy's in Cork, etc.

@molee
Oh, and I'm not great with clichés and stereotypes. So, people (yes, all x million of them) no better or worse than anybody else in the world. Countryside, some nice bits- others not so great. History, good times/bad times. Pubs, meh.

Must be some great music there if you know where to look, Uillean pipes, flute, fiddle, bodhran (and guitar of course), if my Chieftans and Planxty records are anything to go by. Unfortunately I never found it on my visit to Dublin, did get treated to Mr Brightside in The Temple Bar area by a busker though so mustn’t grumble!

advertisement

Back