advertisement

iPhone 4s, worth getting one?

Hi,

Just been offered an upgrade on my Orange contract to an iPhone 4s, 8gb.
Free phone and £4 extra a month for the next 24 months. So an additional £96 for the next couple of years for a free 4s.

I don't need it for the camera or music, it is just a phone. My iPad has some good apps that I use when out walking so would the phone be a worthwhile upgrade, save me lugging an iPad in my backpack.

I currently have a Nokia N8 which is not the greatest phone in the world.

Interested in opinions, for or against.

Cheers

John

If you're already happy enough to carry your iPad around and to you the iPhone would just be a phone, then I'd say don't spend money on something that you don't really need. Just renew your contract with an upgrade phone that costs nothing with no extra cost to your monthly payments. There are plenty around.

For example see below. I'm assuming given the costs of the contracts for an iPhone that this would be around what you are paying now, or if you're actually paying less it probably available as a free upgrade with no extra contract charges as it's around £4pm less than the iPhone:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-sp-black

You don't say how much you are paying in total.
For £250 you could buy an iPhone4s on eBay (8gb is a bit mean) and use GiffGaff on a £10/ month bundle. That's £490 for two years total cost.

I bet you are currently paying £45/month. That's already £1080 for two years.

However, I bought my son a new phone for school last week - a Samsung Galaxy Mini, unlocked, from Asda. It was £49. Now you are down to £289 for two years, or £144.50/year.

We have 2 iPhone 4S a 16GB for SWMBO and a 64GB for our undergrad both are on Giffgaff that runs over O2.

Cheers,

DV

If you're not happy with your current phone and you like Apple products (your iPad), you'll love the iPhone and you'll get on with it immediately. You can sync between your iPad and iPhone too. If it's only a small amount more and you're not going to notice the extra cost, get it. But you could try and get a bigger upgrade to an iPhone 5 if you haggle!

I use iPhone and iPad and it is great, though not essential (!?) to have both. My daughter is on '3' sim only contract (30 day cancellation) and, having acquired an iPhone 4 for her, the cost is only £12 or thereabouts for 200 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. I therefore concur with others and say that you might want to think about getting a second hand iPhone and doing it that way.
(I must also declare that I will be selling either a used iPhone 4s or an iPhone 4 in the next week or so, as soon as I get the unlock code through. - this has not swayed my advice though)

An 8GB 4s will barely have enough space for iOS7. However being a dual core processor they're not too shabby performance-wise, though quite heavy.

Edit to my post as I hadn't notice the 8gb bit......as Greg says ^

Maybe try and upgrade to a bigger memory version of the iPhone 4S or 5 even. I have a 16gb iPhone 4 and could do with more memory but I have quite a bit of music on mine.

Hi,

Sorry I should have added the cost I pay.

Currently I pay £14 a month and they would charge me £18 a month for two years with the 4s thrown in free.

Now I will be keeping the sim card that I use for Orange anyway so would continue to pay £14 a month whatever I do.

I want to stay with Orange as they are the only provider that gives me coverage in all the areas that I travel around, the other providers have not great coverage in some of the Borders.

Just seemed an idea, I did wonder about the 8gb but three of my friends who have 4s have 8gb ones and seem contented. However as has been suggested to upgrade to iOs 7 might cause issues.

Orange don't do anything bigger than an 8gb 4s, the next they could offer me was a 5 light or something along those lines, the top range 5 was available but I needed to put around £100 down plus the monthly charge. The cheapest they could do a 5 for was £39 a month for 2 years on the cheapest 5 the top range 5 was £51 a month.

That is why the 4s seemed an interesting idea.

Cheers

John

The 5 is well worth the hundy over the 4s its a different ballpark. That being said I prefer the heavy weight of the 4s, the 5 always feels like I am about to drop it.

For virgin media customers you can get 1 GB, 600 minutes, unlimited texts for £7 a month.

Currently I pay £14 a month and they would charge me £18 a month for two years with the 4s thrown in free.

Now I will be keeping the sim card that I use for Orange anyway so would continue to pay £14 a month whatever I do.

I want to stay with Orange as they are the only provider that gives me coverage in all the areas that I travel around, the other providers have not great coverage in some of the Borders.

In which case, as you've said that you only really use it as a phone anyway, and that you are sticking with Orange... take it.

That's a good deal and an okay monthly tariff. £96 for an iPhone4s is a no-brainer. £4.50/week all in. That's a pint.

agree, 8GB is too small. Apple never made 8GB 4S until they intro'd the 5S/5C.

I'm still rocking a 4S and love it; I'm keen on a 5S but can't justify the expense currently. Its seamless in its integration with my iMac, macbook pro, and iPad.

I have a Galaxy IIIs mini for work and am constantly frustrated by it, yes I note that android is more tweak-able but have zero interest in becoming a modern-day unixnerd spending my time 'enhancing' a phone through configuration in order to make it work elegantly.

get yerself an iPhone 5 and don't look back #8 )

advertisement

Back