advertisement

iPad 4 into a dac?

I use my ipad as a source in my summerhouse (OK, it's a garden drinking den) down the far end of the garden. It's got power but not networked, so it's handy to carry the pad down of a summer evening and plug into an old nait I had lying around, but it would be nice if it docked and could sound better. I like the look of the i20.

As for "very small memory size", 64Gb will usually keep me happy for an evening's listening!:D

I agree tho, indoors I simply use the Ipad as a remote to control ATVs.

Why would you want to connect an IPad to a DAC with a wire? :confused:
Kinda defeats the whole object of an Ipad IMO.
An Ipad has a very small memory size which can not be expanded (like the samsung can be) so its very limited to what you can store on it anyway, unless you use MP3 :eek::eek::rolleyes:. a squeeze box touch does a better job and can be used with a USB hard drive.
Surely far better to just use the Ipad with a remote app wireless with your tunes stored on a Nas, mac or PC somewhere else and have a streaming device plugged into the dac.
I use a Samsung tablet with Gizmo remote app and have a HTPC, JRiver media player connected directly to my DAC and all music stored in Flac on a NAS upstairs. I can use the samsung tablet anywhere in the house to control my hifi.

Alan

I tried playing 24/96 flac files from iPad 2, through the camera kit and into my Dac - it sounded bloody awful! Compressed, flat with very poor dynamics compared to the Macbook Pro for some reason. Probably putting the digital signal through an adapter doesn't help.

Just got a £3:50 camera adapter from eBay.

Decent enough quality, and it sounds quite fine indeed through the M-dac.

Roll on 256Gb iPads.

Simple; use a DLNA player such as BubbleUPNP. And its wireless!!

There is that way around it but I'm not aware of any dock of any kind for android devices.

I have nothing against android at all, I just use an iPhone and iPad personally and have done for a long time, I had an iPod touch when they first came out and have stuck with the format.

IMHO the best way to get digital from an I device is via Apple TV, they are hand held wireless devices, that is their appeal. It might be limited to 16/44.1 or 16/48 but so what, it still sounds great with a good dac.

advertisement

Back