advertisement

iPad 4 into a dac?

Apple sell something they call the camera kit, basically an Apple socket to use cable, it allows you to get digital out of the ipad.

Apple really are a bunch of tucns.

This camera kit sounds good what ever it is though.

I was trying to get digital out of my iphone / pod as I wanted to try one of those Fiio DAC / amps for my Grado 325is but upon investigation learned Apple does allow digital out but third party companies have to pay them for the privilege which is pretty expensive and there are only two that are compatible.

I do like my iphone but I’m not sure I’ll be buying any more Apple products now, they just annoy me with the way they do things and make it difficult for people to go cross platform. The whole no Flac thing winds me up as well.

Apple really are a bunch of tucns.

This camera kit sounds good what ever it is though.

I was trying to get digital out of my iphone / pod as I wanted to try one of those Fiio DAC / amps for my Grado 325is but upon investigation learned Apple does allow digital out but third party companies have to pay them for the privilege which is pretty expensive and there are only two that are compatible.

I do like my iphone but I’m not sure I’ll be buying any more Apple products now, they just annoy me with the way they do things and make it difficult for people to go cross platform. The whole no Flac thing winds me up as well.

Hmmm, try getting digital out of an android device!

Audio recorder pro...... USb out, but limited to a couple of file formats. it works on my Nexus 7 but it's not suitable as a fulltime music replay app/.

HRT iStreamer works perfectly well with my two iDevices - with great sound to boot.

Regards.
o_O scar

Someone in another place tried his with their r-DAC - they got an Unsurported Device meassage. Just tried it with my M-DAC from my iPad 3 - works fine but not from my iPhone, more's the pitty.

I have a little Pure dock thing which gets digital out of my iPhone and iPod - it is called an i20 and it had optical and coaxial outputs. Wasn't very expensive from memory and comes with a remote for track/volume etc. I don't see why this wouldn't work with an iPad.

James

I was really surprised by how good the iPad sounded through the camera kit into the MDAC. Its async apparently and the sound was equally as good as my SB Touch.

I was really surprised by how good the iPad sounded through the camera kit into the MDAC. Its async apparently and the sound was equally as good as my SB Touch.

Not sure if you discovered, but the MDAC remote will control the iPads Media player...

Not sure if you discovered, but the MDAC remote will control the iPads Media player...

I wondered about this after putting the camera kit away again so reconnected it to test that very function - worked a treat & sounded very good indeed (reported as 24bit/44.1k instead of 16bit/48k when using my ATV2). Glad I found some use for the £25 the kit cost me.

Why would you want to connect an IPad to a DAC with a wire? :confused:
Kinda defeats the whole object of an Ipad IMO.
An Ipad has a very small memory size which can not be expanded (like the samsung can be) so its very limited to what you can store on it anyway, unless you use MP3 :eek::eek::rolleyes:. a squeeze box touch does a better job and can be used with a USB hard drive.
Surely far better to just use the Ipad with a remote app wireless with your tunes stored on a Nas, mac or PC somewhere else and have a streaming device plugged into the dac.
I use a Samsung tablet with Gizmo remote app and have a HTPC, JRiver media player connected directly to my DAC and all music stored in Flac on a NAS upstairs. I can use the samsung tablet anywhere in the house to control my hifi.

Alan

Why would you want to connect an IPad to a DAC with a wire? :confused:
Kinda defeats the whole object of an Ipad IMO.
An Ipad has a very small memory size which can not be expanded (like the samsung can be) so its very limited to what you can store on it anyway, unless you use MP3 :eek::eek::rolleyes:. a squeeze box touch does a better job and can be used with a USB hard drive.
Surely far better to just use the Ipad with a remote app wireless with your tunes stored on a Nas, mac or PC somewhere else and have a streaming device plugged into the dac.
I use a Samsung tablet with Gizmo remote app and have a HTPC, JRiver media player connected directly to my DAC and all music stored in Flac on a NAS upstairs. I can use the samsung tablet anywhere in the house to control my hifi.

Alan
Agreed - I tried just to see if it works. I use an ATV2 (controlled from either my iPad or iPhone) but it converts from 44.1 to 48k, hardly ideal.

Inevitably, the music you aretrying to get off the ipad is no doubt on your network somewhere. So i struggle to see the point of tethering ipads.

advertisement

Back