advertisement

iOS 14

When I got home today, I had a warning (email message) from my router that a new device had just connected. Turns out the phones MAC address had changed. There's an option, 'Private Address' in the Wi-Fi settings, which was now set. This could break lots of network stuff!

It's a suggestion that you're unreasonably paranoid about being spied upon, observed etc.

(I make no judgement about that myself, just explaining the term)

Bluetooth makes the battery deplete quicker. And I don't use it, so turn it off.
Pure common sense.

It wasn’t my intention to have a go at anyone in particular, my aim was just to make a general point. The fact pfm uses affiliate advertising and cookies is clear in the AUP and every member has had to click a cookies acceptance notification as is required under GDPR. There is nothing even remotely covert here; the privacy policy can be found in a link at the bottom of every single page along with the site’s terms and rules.

pfm ads are nothing compared to youtube now but if i want free content i have to accept the ads. Same with newspapers, tv etc. Don’t understand why people think it should be different on websites

There is also an implication that you are a bit of a swivel eyed loony who believes in stuff like UFOs and lizard people in our midst. Wearing such a hat prevents mind control by reflecting back malevolent rays.
Ned Kelly wore a tin bucket but he was Austrailian.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEW4GAW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

If I do not use bluetooth (why would I?) why would it imply that I am a "swivel eyed loony....?"

I do use bluetooth to play music (rarely) twixt my ipad and amplifier.

I don't know what else I would use it for.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
When I got home today, I had a warning (email message) from my router that a new device had just connected. Turns out the phones MAC address had changed. There's an option, 'Private Address' in the Wi-Fi settings, which was now set. This could break lots of network stuff!

I think apple has put in MAC spoofing, or changing not sure of the tech but its to stop tracking I think.

The new occulus headset cannot be used without a facebook account.

Oculus 2 has been hacked in 5 minutes using known OCULUS V1 exploits and assuming the GM Beta kits are the final release no Zuckbook account needed.

I’m interested as I want to play Elite Dangerous with VR immersion, plus I’m furry trash.

...all sorts of firewall alarms set off with iOS 14 nearly all of them based on demonetising tracking platforms like Google and Facebook. This is just a lull in the war.

Haha fair play!

Although the ars review is pretty scathing of just how poor the device is.

I’m guilty of using an add blocker.

3 of the main sites I visit (pink fish, the guardian, Irish Times) I subscribe to.

I know it’s slightly off topic but I think it would be no harm Tony to highlight more the option to “donate” i.e. pay for PFM especially if using an add block. Things like patreon seem to be widely accepted by my younger work colleagues. I really don’t want to be giving Jeff any more business but think you should be paid for PFM or more correctly I should pay. I think you may be surprised how many other may think the same. (Having said that I can’t believe some of - to me- peculiarly British attitude to paying for things and the crawling across cut glass to nab a bargain, so maybe I’m wide of the mark here)

.sjb

I know it’s slightly off topic but I think it would be no harm Tony to highlight more the option to “donate” i.e. pay for PFM especially if using an add block.

I don’t really want to yell about it as, at this stage at least, I’m doing absolutely fine, and I’ve got a comfortable life at a time so many are losing their livelihoods due to covid 19 etc, so I really don’t want to push it. I just get on my soapbox when multi-$trillion corporations such as Apple somehow think providing content theft tools in their browsers is a good idea and attempt to sell them as “privacy” with no argument made for consequences for the vast majority of the independent internet that only survives at all due to advertising revenue. That seriously pisses me off! I tend to make the point on these threads just to get the argument across as I’m sure a lot of people just don’t realise that if they use an ad-blocker sites that rely on that revenue stream can be pushed right to the edge of survival (e.g. the Guardian and other journalism with real costs), or is forced to be a closed echo chamber behind a paywall, which is good for no one IMHO.

PS The ‘Donations’ button is visible on every page (up on the main menu bar below the site logo) and I make it clear there I’ll happily accept vinyl, CDs etc as well as the PayPal link. It is as obvious as I feel comfortable with to be honest.

That's fair enough Tony, but consider a tab beside donations a tab with the question "are you using an add blocker?" with an explanation as per this thread if clicked. That wouldn't be very in your face at all.

You don't want to wait until you actually start to notice your revenue stream affected before doing something.

.sjb

Nothing to write home about.
I was expecting too much perhaps. I have zero interest in widgets. I have never used any.
Back taps don’t work on older iPhones.

Can anyone explain this anomaly with Mail on my iPhone XS since installing iOS 14? I normally wake to find at most five new e-mails notified in the little red circle; the first morning after iOS 14 it said 17 but there were none when I went into the app. This morning was the same, showing 16 new e-mails but nothing there. Other than that, the app is behaving normally.

No idea but mine shows as 234 unread emails. Then when you go in there are none and it then corrects itself. Does it all the time.

No idea why apple threw this out so quick there were only a couple of betas for it and they are straight back out with betas for 14.1 so obviously something critical in there they had to do.

Seems to be an issue with iPadOS in general. My guess is the icon in the task bar and the swipe-over app (that’s the way I use it anyway) don’t quite talk to each other. My mail setup is over-complex though with multiple accounts/suppliers, so that may be a factor.

Seems to be an issue with iPadOS in general. My guess is the icon in the task bar and the swipe-over app (that’s the way I use it anyway) don’t quite talk to each other. My mail setup is over-complex though with multiple accounts/suppliers, so that may be a factor.
Same here, multiple accounts, IMAP. No problem, although I did experience that in the past with POP3.

Rather interestingly, the ios 14.2 beta has some nice new features with respect to playing from music apps.

Rather interestingly, the ios 14.2 beta has some nice new features with respect to playing from music apps.

I’d stay away from the current version of that beta, there have been reports of it breaking charging, so the battery can dwindle to zero. It doesn’t affect all devices but probably best to be cautious.

advertisement

Back