advertisement

ION haul of amps and spares

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
I got lucky - I have been keeping my eye out for an Obelisk for a while, and then chanced upon this lot - I'm not really sure what it all is yet (advice appreciated, and I shall cross post in the ION/Nytech appreciation thread) - but identifiable is;

- four Obelisk 1's - 2 look good (but I need to test), 2 faulty or missing bits
- four X3 amp modules (but they have different heatsinks and some have phono input, some not) - all look NOS!
- unidentified wider integrated amp (is this even a ION/Nytech?)
- part of a pre-amp switch assembly (X3?) - NOS!
- Early Nytech Obelisk in bad state
- eight active cross over boards (4 low pass, 4 high pass) - NOS!
- empty passive crossover case

I only really wanted an Obelisk 1 :)

Richard

I got lucky - I have been keeping my eye out for an Obelisk for a while, and then chanced upon this lot - I'm not really sure what it all is yet (advice appreciated, and I shall cross post in the ION/Nytech appreciation thread) - but identifiable is;

- four Obelisk 1's - 2 look good (but I need to test), 2 faulty or missing bits
- four X3 amp modules (but they have different heatsinks and some have phono input, some not) - all look NOS!
- unidentified wider integrated amp (is this even a ION/Nytech?)
- part of a pre-amp switch assembly (X3?) - NOS!
- Early Nytech Obelisk in bad state
- eight active cross over boards (4 low pass, 4 high pass) - NOS!
- empty passive crossover case

I only really wanted an Obelisk 1 :)

Richard

Can you provide us some pictures? Maybe Phil can help .....

Thanks. There's a hyperlink to the Flickr album above - full link;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/familypicchu/sets/72157656648708419/

Too much hassle to post them all inline - but here's the overview;

19843778343_af09888804_c.jpg

Richard

Envy here... very nice haul.
Plenty of material to make a least one good Obelisk 1 there.

The P1071.4 board is a Ob 3/3X pre / input board.
The 3 power boards with 10,000uF output caps and RCAs are Ob 3X.
The 1 with 2200uF caps and no RCAs is from an Ob 2.
The L shape heatsinks changed to the vertical type at some stage. Easier to work on the 'newer' types too.

The blue Nytech Obelisk (CA102) board can have a home here if it's lonely, it cannot be worse than the one I just repaired in the Ion Appreciation thread.

They are addictive be careful.

PS, I think the 'long' board is a Creek 4040, but it does look like all the same parts bin being used?

Great, thank you! Fantastic information - I haven't read all of the other thread yet, did you used to work there?

Suposedly 2 of the Obelisk 1's are OK, we'll see.

I most probably wont do anything with the older Nytech board - I let you know in a few weeks.

Any idea on the active filter cards? P1078 v4? I assume they did an active crossover at some point? Did it have an internal PSU & how many cards could it support?

Thanks again, Richard

No, never worked for them. Just got interested myself earlier this year. I had been looking at capacitor coupled output stage amps, Quad 303, Wireless World Bailey's etc. for a while and 'fell' over an Obelisk 3. As I said they can be addictive...
Sorry, no information on the active boards, but there are several much more knowledgeable contributors (Nytecholdie and NRWler04 etc.) who will advise.

A very nice haul. Please let us know how you go on. You've just set up in the parts business. :D Control knob for an Obelisk anyone? :)

You can have good dabble and shift most of that on

Nice one - thank you both!

I really must pull my finger out and test the Obelisk's :)

Richard

I spent a couple of hours reviewing the Obelisks yesterday - I had enough bits and pieces to assemble 3 - a v6, v5 and v4.

I need the cct diagram though (thanks again :)) - only the v6 is functioning, the other 2 both have a faulty channel.

I fitted the heatsink to the v5 (bottom one in photo below) - I checked the output stage was OK before I started (or, thought I had...) and checked OP devices were correctly isolated from the heatsink (a fiddly bastard of a job to fit!) after I was done, and resoldered a few dry joints...it still starts to heat up one of the emitter resistors.

Now need to decide whether repair them or sell the 2 as a faulty job lot with the spare v6 board I have (has been subject to a complete channel failure with burnt PCB).

I will be bringing the good one to try in my office system - see how it compares to the Rega Mira.

21361337746_1aa1a1c2c7_c.jpg

21199694458_ba5ca261c2_c.jpg

Richard

Oh, afraid I have no spare volume knob - but do have spare selector/power buttons if anyone needs them.

And Snowman, the Nytech board is yours for cost of postage if you still want it?

Richard

Richard, thanks,
I will be very pleased to take the old Nytech board off your hands.
I will PM you later this afternoon.

''Those heatsinks are small and badly ventilated'', I agree a poor bit of design and unfortunately the death of many an Obelisk...

I agree that the long board looks like a Creek 4040 but it has S1 buttons and yet RCA inputs on the back which is not a combination I've seen.

I agree that the long board looks like a Creek 4040 but it has S1 buttons and yet RCA inputs on the back which is not a combination I've seen.

Yep the long board is a Creek 4040 series 1 point something They started out with DIN but went to the RCAs quite quickly. They tidied up the look of the headphone output in the later versions from the ugly nut to a flush black

Thats the larger buttons before they went to the green coloured logo

advertisement

Back