advertisement

Introducing myself and canvassing some opinions

merckxfan

Good afternoon all, thought i'd introduce myself as i've just registered, my name's matt, i live in suffolk and i've liked odd/old hifi components for a while.
My interest has been reignited recently (after a lull of several years) to the point that i've decided to imitate the 'kellys corner' feature from hifiworld in the early 90's, and try to put together what i hope will be a great sounding system by buying good quality secondhand components, hopefully cheaply :D.
This brings me neatly to the second part of my title. I bought a pair of Heybrook Heylo speakers yesterday and wondered if anyone here could recommend an amp or two that i should be keeping my eyes peeled for. I believe from what little i've managed to read about the speakers that they're tight with good clarity, so perhaps something with a warm sound?, please let me know what you think (i'll be listening to CD's).
Also on the base of the cabinets there are four holes which i presume are for spikes (the speakers are described as mini floorstanders), so i'm wondering whether to put some in?, or just stand them on the floor as they are?. I've noticed that the subject of spikes can get a lot of discussion!.
Anyway i'd be pleased to hear your thoughts on all of the above queries.

Thanks for your time. matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the madhouse!!!
I have a soft spot for old British amps,Creek,Quad,Naim etc,-take your pick,within reason most are cheap as chips,and work well with digital.
Keep us abreast of your progress.
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome, i think Quad and Naim might be out of reach unless i stumble across some at a car boot sale!.

Evening Justin, cheers for the link, i didn't pay that much!. From that image it looks like they originally had some sort of spiked plinth, may have to get dan on the case welding something up!. Hope you've all recovered from the weekends celebrations, it was good to see the whole clan.

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome, i think Quad and Naim might be out of reach unless i stumble across some at a car boot sale!.

Evening Justin, cheers for the link, i didn't pay that much!. From that image it looks like they originally had some sort of spiked plinth, may have to get dan on the case welding something up!. Hope you've all recovered from the weekends celebrations, it was good to see the whole clan.

In that case a Creek cas 4040/4140 or A+R A60 serious bargain amps!!!!

I was going to suggest the A&R A60 (sweet sounding integrated amp c.1979) - you can pick them up for about £70 on eBay. Should just about be able to power the Heylos.

Good afternoon all, thought i'd introduce myself as i've just registered, my name's matt, i live in suffolk and i've liked odd/old hifi components for a while.
My interest has been reignited recently (after a lull of several years) to the point that i've decided to imitate the 'kellys corner' feature from hifiworld in the early 90's, and try to put together what i hope will be a great sounding system by buying good quality secondhand components, hopefully cheaply :D.
This brings me neatly to the second part of my title. I bought a pair of Heybrook Heylo speakers yesterday and wondered if anyone here could recommend an amp or two that i should be keeping my eyes peeled for. I believe from what little i've managed to read about the speakers that they're tight with good clarity, so perhaps something with a warm sound?, please let me know what you think (i'll be listening to CD's).
Also on the base of the cabinets there are four holes which i presume are for spikes (the speakers are described as mini floorstanders), so i'm wondering whether to put some in?, or just stand them on the floor as they are?. I've noticed that the subject of spikes can get a lot of discussion!.
Anyway i'd be pleased to hear your thoughts on all of the above queries.

Thanks for your time. matt

Hello Matt,

Yes , spike the speakers and you might try placing each spike on a penny to see if that brings any further improvements. (loads of tricks you can play with!!)

Others have mentioned amps....

I'd love to try an A+R A60 myself some time.

If "warm" is what you like maybe a NAD 3020? Going back a bit I know.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Matt. I'm a bit of a collector of old hifi myself (stuff I couldn't afford when I was younger!). I agree with the recommendation of A&R A60. They are warm sounding, easy to service and they are now starting to appreciate in price.

....so, things have moved along.

This afternoon, in answer to an ad in the local press, i went to pick up some large wharfedale drivers in homemade cabinets, it turns out that one of the speakers wasn't working so i got them for free.
The demo was carried out using a Leak delta tuner and an Armstrong 621 amp both apparently in great nick, i asked the guy if he wanted to sell them and he said yes.
So for a few quid i now have an amp, but is it up to the job of running the heybrooks?, and can anyone point me in the direction of some info on the quality of the amp.

Cheers matt

Thanks for the swift positive responses, especially the link, that's great.
Slightly annoyingly i'm unable to set any of this stuff up to find out what it sounds like until we move out of our flat (hopefully in the not too distant future!) and into somewhere with more room/s.

Matt

advertisement

Back