advertisement

Internet radio station recommendation thread

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
Having only recently got into the world of internet radio via my Squeezebox, I have to say I'm finding it great fun :)

There are so many stations and I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where can tell people about particularly good stations we have come across for the benefit of others on the forum.

I'm currently listening to this:

Title: Suburbs of Goa: Desi-influenced Asian world beats. [SomaFM]
URL: http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=512171&filename=playlist.pls
Bitrate: 128 kbps
Number of listeners: 14
Now Playing: Open Canvas - Season Of Monsoon
Genre: Indian Asian

I have it on in the background whilst I am 'working' :D

Lefty

WFMU is a fantastic listener-supported New Jersey based station.

I like the Three Chord Monte show and John Allen among others.

A hugely eclectic station that does a lot of live sessions (Yo La Tengo are big supporters).

They have a rather fine blog as well.

If like me, you like 50's/60's stuff then....all day non-stop "Radio Bop" is where it's at!:)

Cheers.......Dave

I'm discovering this internet radio malarky after buying a squeezebox. I don't seem to be able to access half of them, most likely something is not setup properly in slimserver. I stumbled across a station playing gabba :eek:

I'm discovering this internet radio malarky after buying a squeezebox. I don't seem to be able to access half of them, most likely something is not setup properly in slimserver. I stumbled across a station playing gabba :eek:

Some radio stations are only available on subscription eg. on Live365 only about one third are free...mind you the subs is only $70pa for access to 10,000 radio stations...

Radio Paradise, up to 192, Cali based, eclectic rock. Fantastic.

I have my supermarket internet radio that's great, or was till my net connection got so flaky that it drops the connection every 2 minutes.:mad:

Since then I've got a USB dongle that allows you to select faves etc, it's terrific. £12.99. Best of all you can record streamed stuff.;)

Aah, thanks. Dance seems to have a new genre every week, I don't know my house from my beats, techno, rare groove or anything else. I can hear there's a difference but naming the genre is beyond me. I just nod sagely and keep my mouth shut when people say things like "If I'm going to a club I'd always choose..."

I've been listening to some of the stations into my main system through my Benchmark DAC and I have to say that the sound quality is just awful. Even the 320kbps stations (a level at which I normally find MP3s sound virtually identical to CD) sound threadbare and colourless, particularly compared to a good FM tuner. Has anyone had any better results?

I wonder what the quality of their original source material is like? I listened to one station at 128kbps and it sounded better than another at 320kbps.

I've been listening to some of the stations into my main system through my Benchmark DAC and I have to say that the sound quality is just awful. Even the 320kbps stations (a level at which I normally find MP3s sound virtually identical to CD) sound threadbare and colourless, particularly compared to a good FM tuner. Has anyone had any better results?

But if you compare the quality of internet radio, even the lowest, to what was the norm on am or shortwave listening there is little to complain about.

Add to that the fact that you can listen to stations that were not available, outside of freak propagation broadcast conditions, anywhere but local to the point of broadcast...

I wonder what the quality of their original source material is like? I listened to one station at 128kbps and it sounded better than another at 320kbps.

Yes, the sound quality does not necessarily seem directly related to bitrate. I was listening to BBC3 at 64kbps and it sounded better than any of them, including 320kbps.

But if you compare the quality of internet radio, even the lowest, to what was the norm on am or shortwave listening there is little to complain about.
Not sure about that. Bad analogue is still better than bad digital. Reasonable quality AM from a good tuner still sounds better to me than a lot of internet radio. However, I take your point about the variety of stations.

advertisement

Back