advertisement

Interesting dealer comment on CDX2 + 555PS being better than CDS3 + XPS2

Robsh

Okay, this might be a new one for folks since I don't remember reading anything like this during my research of various Naim CDP's and PS's.

I currently have a CDX + TXPS when I asked a Naim dealer, that I trust highly and has been in business for decades, to add me to his list for any used CDS3's that might come his way which he said they do once or twice a year. His reply definitely caught my attention in a big way when he said the CDX2 + 555PS is even better than a CDS3 + XPS2.

I asked for sonic details why and this is what he said.

All I can tell you is that when I had a CDX2 with a 555PS, it was better overall than a CDS3/XPS2. It was Chris Koster from Naim who pointed this out to me, so I tried it and he was right!

Thoughts on this? I trust this dealer that has been correct on other things through the years.

I thought his feedback was extremely interesting since everything I read on this forum seems to indicate the voicing of the CDS3 being totally different than the CDX2.

In any event, I told him to add an excellent condition CDX2 to the list. My new TXPS is bringing the CDX to such an incredibly higher level that I truly wonder how the TXPS compares with the 555PS. I read from quite a few on here that own the TXPS and directly compared it to the XPS2 in their home for several weeks that the TXPS was easily the clear winner. Thought I remember reading someone say it was just as good as a 555PS but in different ways such as providing a tighter, more tuneful bass that for my system and room is better as compared to fuller sounding bass.

Or a Sony XA 5400 ES.

I own both this and a CDS3-XPS II. Love both but its scary how nice a CD player you can get these days for not boat loads of cash.

Or a Sony XA 5400 ES.

I own both this and a CDS3-XPS II. Love both but its scary how nice a CD player you can get these days for not boat loads of cash.

I know which is making me happy with lower resale pricing but said that CDP's are not selling like they did in the past.

Sure other CDP's as ones previously mentioned might be better but doesn't makes sense for me to go a different direction when I just bought the TXPS. In any event, my smile is pretty wide with the CDX + TXPS. I know even with the XPS2, I've read where the CDX and even the CDX2 can still sound edgy in the vocals and uppper trebles. With playing 3 full CD's last night that really showed extended vocals and a lot of treble action with the CD's not being anything special (good CD don't get me wrong, just not audiophile or HDCD etc), I was amazed at how clear the voices were, so much grundge removed. I really strained to hear even a little hint of coarseness and none was there, just smooth and enjoyable.

I can't comment on the CDX2 to CDS3 comparison. However, we moved from a non-DR XPS2 to a 555PS DR on our NDS. We got a big increase in performance, almost equivalent to a change in source. I can see where the dealer is coming from on that basis. However, varying both CDP and PS in the comparison leaves little common point of reference. A lengthy demo would be a great idea given the outlay you are considering.

Your dealer is wrong. Cdx2 with 555ps is a cdx2 on steroids. Fast, detailed and exciting which may sound impressive initially but ultimately wearing to listen to over the long term.
Cds3 with xps is smoother, more musical and easier on the ear. Much less bright and forward than the cdx2.
But you need to do the comparison yourself to hear which you prefer

Yearh and the actual setup pretty much play a role combined with personnal taste and preference

I'd take the CDS anyday

In fact sometime I like my Apollo/R better than a CDX

I’m not so surprised the old pre DR 555PS out performs a pre DR XPS2.
They both supply 6 rails of the same asymmetric +/-22v, +/-10v & 2x +15v when powering the CDX & CD3 units, but that is as far as the same goes.
The 555PS has a bigger transformer & much larger capacitors – all the spare space in the 555 is filed with the largest capacitors the box will hold. Not so the XPS.

Naim555PS.JPG

Naim_XPS_internal.JPG

Both use the same LM317 & LM337 regulators that are acknowledged to have a noise problem, the larger capacitance on the lines will reduce noise & is probably the main reason why the 555 has a better SQ.

I am not at all sure how this holds up with the new DR versions of 555PS & XPS2. They have both kept the same capacitor & transformer sizes, but if you believe the blurb on the DR regulator it should not be an issue if all they are supposed to do is supply a robust 6 rail power supply.

Comparing a TXPS can only be done on SQ grounds - the technology is different with the regulator the principle voltage supply element that does not require large capacitors with corresponding large transformer.

Your dealer is wrong. Cdx2 with 555ps is a cdx2 on steroids. Fast, detailed and exciting which may sound impressive initially but ultimately wearing to listen to over the long term.
Cds3 with xps is smoother, more musical and easier on the ear. Much less bright and forward than the cdx2.
But you need to do the comparison yourself to hear which you prefer

You would think Chris Koster from Naim would know since he has been with them a very long time. Wouldn't make sense for him to give input to dealers carrying Naim products under his Naim support role if knowing things sound differently upon additional listening. Chris doesn't provide input just by some quick listening without really being sure. He knows his stuff. Also folks say the CDX2 + XPS 2 can still be harsh and aggressive like you mention but I've found the opposite so far with my CDX + TXPS, leagues and leagues better than the bare CDX. The TXPS just keeps the sound together under total control and seriously, I'm sensitive to any harshness, brightness or agressive sound in any way. I hear absolutely no harshness, totally smooth sound with layering in the soundstage to an incredible extent. I can not only hear treble detail but can hear where on the symbols the drum stick hits. Obviously it is in the design of the TXPS, and I like no need for recapping!

Still as already obviously pointed out, I already plan on doing a demo if / when available. Truthfully CDS3 makes more sense since it should obviously be better with my TXPS as compared to a CDX2. I have no plans of eventually upgrading to a 555PS. Still I thought interesting enough that if the CDX2 + 555PS was really that good then makes sense the CDX2 with my TXPS could be an upgrade that would last for a very long time.

A CDX and CDX can sound different

There may be a technical explantion for this ?

If you like current replay as you indicate, keep it untill you have done CDS home dem if possible

They do however whats more interesting some earlier CDX perform different to later ones CDX, at least thats what I experienced a couple of years ago

You would think Chris Koster from Naim would know since he has been with them a very long time. Wouldn't make sense for him to give input to dealers carrying Naim products under his Naim support role if knowing things sound differently upon additional listening. Chris doesn't provide input just by some quick listening without really being sure. He knows his stuff. Also folks say the CDX2 + XPS 2 can still be harsh and aggressive like you mention but I've found the opposite so far with my CDX + TXPS, leagues and leagues better than the bare CDX. The TXPS just keeps the sound together under total control and seriously, I'm sensitive to any harshness, brightness or agressive sound in any way. I hear absolutely no harshness, totally smooth sound with layering in the soundstage to an incredible extent. I can not only hear treble detail but can hear where on the symbols the drum stick hits. Obviously it is in the design of the TXPS, and I like no need for recapping!

Still as already obviously pointed out, I already plan on doing a demo if / when available. Truthfully CDS3 makes more sense since it should obviously be better with my TXPS as compared to a CDX2. I have no plans of eventually upgrading to a 555PS. Still I thought interesting enough that if the CDX2 + 555PS was really that good then makes sense the CDX2 with my TXPS could be an upgrade that would last for a very long time.

CK is one of the few individuals out there who's opinion you can take to the bank when it comes to sound quality and recommendations. He won't steer you wrong Rob.

regards,

dave

Why don't you just say what it is you actually want to hear? Then the folks here will know what to say.

CK is one of the few individuals out there who's opinion you can take to the bank when it comes to sound quality and recommendations. He won't steer you wrong Rob.

regards,

dave

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the input, kind of what I felt but good to know you feel the same.

They do however whats more interesting some earlier CDX perform different to later ones CDX, at least thats what I experienced a couple of years ago

Oh, I get it now, one CDX might sound different than another CDX. Hmmm, not sure why. Guess I have one that sounds better than another given year CDX. :)

You're welcome Rob. I've known Chris for decades and spent many an hour working with him. His system troubleshooting and setup skills are amazing. The best I've seen in the business.

Why don't you just say what it is you actually want to hear? Then the folks here will know what to say.

Good point. Still if I say exactly what I want to hear than would it matter much with folks having different rooms, ears, equipment, etc.? I just posted it since I thought my dealer's input was interesting and made me think which direction to take. As mentioned, best for me to do a demo. As far as saying what I want, guess I'm selfish in that I want everything: detail, smoothness, layering of sound stage, nuances to music, emotional connection while still having excitement and drive (toe tapping) to the music like it did last night for me. I hear relaxed when it comes to the CDS3 and that you have to change your perspective over weeks. This kind of comment kind of scares me. Makes me think I need to get a glass of wine, pipe and smoking jacket to force myself to melt into the music. Makes me think about tube amps. Yes, it is warmish and nice but after a while, it doesn't have the boogie factor. I want relaxed where it brings the emotional connection but not to the point that it makes me disconnect from the music or feel like as some other have put it "not letting its hair down" when playing really good rock music. I don't really listen to hard rock any longer but one band I like more than any other is Dave Matthews. Incredibly talented musicians that can rock while being so good with so many instruments in the soundstage that layering actually exists instead of a wall of sound like a lot of rock CD's.

Am I asking for too much? :)

Guess now folks will tell me what combo is best? just joking in good fun. :)

You got to love this hobby.

advertisement

Back