advertisement

Interconnects - Dare I Ask ?

So Ted, a £30 cable can compete with a £500 cable in so far as you can undeniably hear music whilst using either. (I don't think they have to compete btw )
Is your analogy then, a Ford Fiesta competes with a Mercedes S-Class as both will undeniably get you from A to B ?

No this is not a correct comparison at all! :)

A Mercedes S-Class is obviously much better engineered, better quality manufacturing, better design, better quality control etc etc. These are facts, and anyone that has the first idea about design, engineering and (crucially) driving will be able to discern the difference on a number of levels.

Also I don't know the exact price off the top of my head but I imagine the fiesta might be £6k and the Mercedes might be £60k. So as an example, that is ten times the price and the difference is plain and obvious for anyone to experience. Is the Mercedes better than the Fiesta - yes.

If 'exotic' cables were actually worth the money then every audio engineer would agree. Buy an £8000 pound pair of active ATC speakers and you will get two £5 mains leads to plug them in. I know a couple of pro mastering engineers and they use 'decent' interconnect and leads - i.e. balanced XLRs at around £15 each, maybe a bit more on phono interconnects - £30? These guys are running high end prism converters, boutique compressors and EQs worth thousands into high end monitoring.

Super expensive mains leads and interconnects are generally (in the pro world) regarded with disdain because any 'difference' they make is tiny for a massive jump in price, and often it is (apparently) just 'slightly different' (if at all?) not better. I have talked to engineers at PMC and ATC about cables and in my experience they recommend generally available pro cables (ie. well made but not 'exotic'). I'm sure there are examples to the contrary but there is enough professional opinion around to suggest that a 'decent' cable is all that is required, so I don't feel the urge to track down anything more 'boutique'.

I've often wondered if all the comments about the 'thin' sound of DNM cable is because its so, thin.

I've often wondered if all the comments about the 'thin' sound of DNM cable is because its so, thin.

I am happy to accept that is the case nevertheless it sounds thinner, lighter, slightly upper-mid emphasised compared with Mark Grant. I think very similar cable was sold for Cyrus stuff. Because I had Cyrus some years ago I tried it but soon looked for something else. Strange really because it's design suggests low capacitance which helps the upper frequencies but few mention that one.

A Mercedes S-Class is obviously much better engineered, better quality manufacturing, better design, better quality control etc etc. These are facts, and anyone that has the first idea about design, engineering and (crucially) driving will be able to discern the difference on a number of levels.

Also I don't know the exact price off the top of my head but I imagine the fiesta might be £6k and the Mercedes might be £60k. So as an example, that is ten times the price and the difference is plain and obvious for anyone to experience. Is the Mercedes better than the Fiesta - yes.

If 'exotic' cables were actually worth the money then every audio engineer would agree. Buy an £8000 pound pair of active ATC speakers and you will get two £5 mains leads to plug them in. I know a couple of pro mastering engineers and they use 'decent' interconnect and leads - i.e. balanced XLRs at around £15 each, maybe a bit more on phono interconnects - £30? These guys are running high end prism converters, boutique compressors and EQs worth thousands into high end monitoring.

Super expensive mains leads and interconnects are generally (in the pro world) regarded with disdain because any 'difference' they make is tiny for a massive jump in price, and often it is (apparently) just 'slightly different' (if at all?) not better. I have talked to engineers at PMC and ATC about cables and in my experience they recommend generally available pro cables (ie. well made but not 'exotic'). I'm sure there are examples to the contrary but there is enough professional opinion around to suggest that a 'decent' cable is all that is required, so I don't feel the urge to track down anything more 'boutique'.

+ 1. I use Van Damme speaker cable on recommendation from PMC. The interconnects I use in my studio are generally van damme with Neutrik connectors.

I am happy to accept that is the case nevertheless it sounds thinner, lighter, slightly upper-mid emphasised compared with Mark Grant.
Do you think they would sound like this to you blind?

Do you think you could identify which cable was being used blind?

Do you think other people would hear the same thing?

Do you think they would sound like this to you blind?

Do you think you could identify which cable was being used blind?

Do you think other people would hear the same thing?

Do you know arrogant 'stard that I am I anticipated and answered your questions in my original post. I often jump in without reading all of a thread too.

I am happy to accept that is the case nevertheless it sounds thinner, lighter, slightly upper-mid emphasised compared with Mark Grant. I think very similar cable was sold for Cyrus stuff. Because I had Cyrus some years ago I tried it but soon looked for something else. Strange really because it's design suggests low capacitance which helps the upper frequencies but few mention that one.
I'm not disagreeing. It does sound thin. And the speaker wire doesn't seem to quite time properly, if that's even possible. The mains leads will work harden if you bend them much. I have quite a lot of DNM cabling somewhere.

Do you know arrogant 'stard that I am I anticipated and answered your questions in my original post. I often jump in without reading all of a thread too.
I could not see an answer to any of the questions in your posts in this thread. If you think they are there can you please provide a quote or a link?

Aha Ted! I think you have just advanced the argument, hit the nail on the head so's to speak.
You make a very good point. Like everyone on this forum, we know which is the better car
between that Ford and Mercedes, but not so transparent when comparing budget and exotic interconnects. Hence the ongoing interest in the subject.
So, bottom line - is there ( by some quirk) a truly stunning cable at a sensible price which compares favourably ( or betters ) one of the top end offerings ?
Or - do you get what you pay for ?
Cheers.

Were these tests blind or sighted? I was asking about what results you would expect if the comparisons were performed blind rather than sighted.

Another scripted response. Read the linked post a minimum of 4 times and eventually you'll get it. All the answers to your (rhetorical) questions are contained therein. This is how cyclical arguments start; people repeatedly asking the same questions over and over that have already been answered. It's a debating technique called 'badgering.'

I've been using 2 pairs of these since 2011:

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_1&products_id=273

Previously I used the same with the cu version of the WBT 0110 connectors and benefited from Mark's generous upgrade terms.

I do not feel the need to fiddle about with interconnects any more; the G2000HD 0110 ag do the job nicely with minimal signal loss/timing issues.

lamb_zpsbb237524.jpg

I have to be honest I'm struggling a bit with the price of those and wonder if they really are £200 better than self terminated Van Damme, Belden, Supra, Mogami, etc.

E.g. 3 pairs of those is greater than the price of the Audiolab M-DAC, making the value proposition rather poor in comparison... as in, it's just a bit of (nice) wire vs a serious peice of well designed electronics.

Not criticising anyone here, but I really do struggle with the price of wire these days.

I like expensive kit but I also need value.

advertisement

Back