advertisement

Intel NUC i5 (6 gen) no sound out of HDMI

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
Hmmm baffling me ATM.

I have a 6th gen Intel i5, Win 10, all drivers up to date - but i cant get any sound out of my monitor (which does handle sound). Monitor is the vertical one - horizontal screen is for the desktop PC which has its own speakers. KB and Mouse are shared through MS "Mouse without borders" - i thought it would be good to get some system sounds/alerts through the monitor for the NUC. But nada

2020-07-11_12-09-01 by uh_simon, on Flickr

b4 i update the BIOS. anyone got any thoughts.....

not an essential thing on this PC but would be nice

Silly things first but I guess you have sound output checked in the sound control panel (I prefer the old panel but it makes no difference)

Is volume up on the monitor?

Check status of audio in the device manager

try a different lead (Seriously this fixed an issue for me)

Boot from a live linux distro (I use Mint as my goto as you know). This has a nice sound app that will tell you if it can see your HDMI and let you test the channels. This is a simple thing to do and checks out the hardware for you.

I have my monitor connected via HDMI and sound works from both native Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint. I also have no problems with sound with Windows and Apple OS running in VMs on Linux. So my guess is maybe hardware (or its setup) so a live Linux test is worthwhile. To complicate matters my HDMI port is on an NVIDIA 1080 GPU.

I find a live linux USB stick boot a very useful tool for trouble shooting both Windows and OS X/macOS.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back